Should We Tighten Up On Some Of Our Posts?

Spencer

Do you think LDSTalk.com should tighten up on what is allowed to be posted?  

1. 1. Do you think LDSTalk.com should tighten up on what is allowed to be posted?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Spencer@Sep 28 2005, 08:38 PM

What do you think?

I think so. YES. I believe for the most part the day of sifting is over and the day for gathering the remnants together for battle has arrived...

Those who were sifted out... shouldn't be allowed to come in as wolves in sheeps clothing any longer.... if you catch my drift...

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Maureen@Sep 29 2005, 09:47 AM

If you tighten posts up too much this will become the dullest message board on the planet.

M.

I disagree... it will be come a place where truth will reign... I don't find truth dull... some do however... and they are the ones keeping truth from being the main menu here...

The question you have to ask yourself Maureen is... why is gospel truth dull to you?

Anyone who knows me automatically knows that I would have voted Yes, but I'd like to offer an explanation with hope that more people will understand why.

First of all, I don't have any problem at all with anyone who disagrees with me, but in offering a word of disagreement, I would expect or hope that person would use some reasoning to support their disagreement.

For instance, when I say that something is "Wrong", I usually go on to explain that it is wrong because God has said it is wrong, and whether or not anyone agrees with me, and even whether or not anyone agrees with God, my answer should be a satisfactory answer to explain why I believe it is "Wrong".

And as if that wasn't enough of a reason to support why I believe what I believe, I usually go the extra mile by giving details about when God said it was wrong, and how I know God said it was wrong, to help people understand how I know that something is wrong.

Or in other words, the tighter controls that I would enforce on this board, even if I was the only authority for this board, would be to only censor "bashing" or "ridicule" of any person or belief, while promoting discussion of beliefs from any viewpoint whatsoever.

And whether any of you know it or not, we all either agree or disagree with each other, so the best we can do is try to explain why we believe what we believe, even when we believe that something is in fact "WRONG".

Bye now. :)

I don't think that the posts should be tightened up as such.

I think that we should all think carefully before we post, how our words will translate to people who cannot see us, or know more about us...words are not often enough to get your true feelings about a matter across to somebody, and can be misleading.

I would recommend some of the suggestions that SF made in reply to the PM that Spencer received...regarding adding a disclaimer into the introduction, and also having a password protected area (passwords to be issued to those posters over an agreed age...and by request to Heather) in which posts relating to 'adult', sexual issues ought to be kept, in order to avoid very young viewers being introduced to these topics before they are ready.

I think that it doesn't matter what I think because I'm not LDS. If the members whom this board was created for think that it should be more strictly regulated, then so be it. I just come here because I can, but if I couldn't I'd cross it off my message board list and move on.

... although I'd miss some of you guys!

I'd like to say that I personally don't think that I post offensively to the LDS members here. Maybe a year and a half ago when I first left the LDS church, I did for a while, but I've really mellowed about it quite a bit.

Most of the things I question of late are organized religion in general... not the LDS religion. If I have offended anyone here lately, or do so in the future, please let me know. I hardly post here at all anymore, but when I do, it's usually about more general things.

Hi AfDaw... it's good to 'see' you. I sincerely hope that you and yours are well! Give the yungins a hug for me!

Originally posted by shanstress70@Sep 29 2005, 11:36 AM

I think that it doesn't matter what I think because I'm not LDS.  If the members whom this board was created for think that it should be more strictly regulated, then so be it.  I just come here because I can, but if I couldn't I'd cross it off my message board list and move on.

... although I'd miss some of you guys!

I'd like to say that I personally don't think that I post offensively to the LDS members here.  Maybe a year and a half ago when I first left the LDS church, I did for a while, but I've really mellowed about it quite a bit. 

Most of the things I question of late are organized religion in general... not the LDS religion.  If I have offended anyone here lately, or do so in the future, please let me know.  I hardly post here at all anymore, but when I do, it's usually about more general things.

Hi AfDaw... it's good to 'see' you.  I sincerely hope that you and yours are well!  Give the yungins a hug for me!

Shanstress,

As an active member here I believe that your opinion matters. I agree that you don't post offensively and neither do most non LDS people here.

Originally posted by pushka@Sep 29 2005, 11:41 AM

Shanstress...if the board tightens up so much that it's too uncomfortable for non LDS to post...or the day comes when we're not allowed to post at all...I hope we will be given enough notice so that we can get ourselves our own little space on the net to carry on chatting!

GOSH!! I sure hope that that doesn't happen.

The things I am having trouble with is questioning the Divinity of the Savior, and the sacredness of the details of the temple. Others might have another opinion but that is mine.

Originally posted by AFDaw@Sep 29 2005, 01:04 PM

Hi Shannon.  We are all doing well, thanks for asking.  I hope you guys are doing well also.  And for the record, you were not who I was referring to in my post about why I left.  I didn't want you to think that's what I was implying.

We are all doing well too. And I didn't even see a post about why you left, so I didn't think that.

Maybe one day we could all hang out again. I miss you guys.

Take care!

Originally posted by Please+Sep 29 2005, 08:52 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Maureen@Sep 29 2005, 09:47 AM

If you tighten posts up too much this will become the dullest message board on the planet.

I disagree... it will be come a place where truth will reign... I don't find truth dull... some do however... and they are the ones keeping truth from being the main menu here...

You're sure about that Peace. You think that if there are restrictions set that that means people here will only post the truth. And any truth that is spoken of will be all cheery and good. Truth doesn't necessarily bring about all goodness and light - sometimes truth can bring bad news.

By dull, I mean boring, of no interest. If everyone here only talks about all the lovely and good things about the "one and only true LDS church" then I predict that those conversations will be short and sweet. No one will learn anything because they've heard it over and over again. The message board will soon turn into "Little House on the Prairie", which I have no interest in - it can become quite dull after a while.

The question you have to ask yourself Maureen is... why is gospel truth dull to you?

You are presuming that what I define as dull you define as the truth. Not so. I see the truth as interesting, colourful, with personality, good and bad - warts and all. There's a good chance that we define "gospel" differently. The gospel you talk about as truth (and assume I define as dull) is probably not the gospel I believe in. So if this board is tightened, what's to say that my beliefs and opinions in the gospel will be censored. If the truth is suppose to set us free, then why be so concerned with restraining people from speaking or hearing that truth - whether that truth is ugly or beautiful.

M.

Originally posted by Maureen+Sep 29 2005, 12:19 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Sep 29 2005, 08:52 AM

You're sure about that Peace. You think that if there are restrictions set that that means people here will only post the truth. And any truth that is spoken of will be all cheery and good. Truth doesn't necessarily bring about all goodness and light - sometimes truth can bring bad news.

By dull, I mean boring, of no interest. If everyone here only talks about all the lovely and good things about the "one and only true LDS church" then I predict that those conversations will be short and sweet. No one will learn anything because they've heard it over and over again. The message board will soon turn into "Little House on the Prairie", which I have no interest in - it can become quite dull after a while.

You are presuming that what I define as dull you define as the truth. Not so. I see the truth as interesting, colourful, with personality, good and bad - warts and all. There's a good chance that we define "gospel" differently. The gospel you talk about as truth (and assume I define as dull) is probably not the gospel I believe in. So if this board is tightened, what's to say that my beliefs and opinions in the gospel will be censored. If the truth is suppose to set us free, then why be so concerned with restraining people from speaking or hearing that truth - whether that truth is ugly or beautiful.

M.

Who is to say what the truth is other than God and those He has spoken with?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Maureen+Sep 29 2005, 01:19 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Sep 29 2005, 08:52 AM

M.

Boy if I can untwist all of this.... I must be a genious..... here goes...

First of all... Truth and principles are only dull to the unlearned... which means you are admitting you are unlearned... which means it would greatly benefit you if the forum did go straight truth...

Truth that brings good or bad news is good because all things work for the good of those who love the Lord...

You should know that already.... but no... you are unlearned... and think truth is dull...

There is no end to learning when you are humble and teachable... the repetitive things are for the unlearned... and therefore the unlearned think boring and dull things.... never coming to the truth...

The gospel is the most exciting and on going discovery of all time...and eternity... anyone who finds it dull... doesn't have a clue....... because they are unlearned...

Little house on the prarie??? LOL shows what you don't know...

I presume nothing... in fact you presume that I presume... and in so doing... set youself on the wrong path... you say that truth is interesting and colorful... well well... lthen why would you say that learning the truth about the gospel and the church doctrine is boring when it is filled with this interesting and colorful truth... you don't make sense... Maureen...

The truth sets you free.... but "order" and "restrictions" bring about a clean environment... just imagine the world if there were no garbage cans inwhich to keep the garbage OUT of our everyday space?? Freedom only comes from laws of order and conduct.... if you don't know that... lthen you don't know nothing....

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Sep 29 2005, 11:53 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-pushka@Sep 29 2005, 11:41 AM

Shanstress...if the board tightens up so much that it's too uncomfortable for non LDS to post...or the day comes when we're not allowed to post at all...I hope we will be given enough notice so that we can get ourselves our own little space on the net to carry on chatting!

GOSH!! I sure hope that that doesn't happen.

The things I am having trouble with is questioning the Divinity of the Savior, and the sacredness of the details of the temple. Others might have another opinion but that is mine.

I agree...