Being vegetarian?

naturelover

I've recently made the decision to become vegetarian, mostly because of the issue with animal cruelty. However, I was wondering if this contradicted the doctrine of the church in any way. I know in the BoM it says meat is to be used "sparingly", but is it wrong to not use it at all?

Just wondering, because I wasn't sure; maybe it's a dumb question. But some people say vegetarians who are against killing animals for meat are "New Age", or are going against church doctrine because meat was used in the Bible and Book of Mormon.

Thanks.

As long as you don't let your Bishop know, you'll be okay. Once he knows, they'll get out the '2nd set of questions' for your temple recommend, which include such things as 'how do you like your spare ribs best: Texas or Memphis style?', 'do you drink Coke, Pepsi, or any other sugary drink?', and the last stumbling block, 'do you use white flour instead of whole wheat? If so, when will you quit?'

Not being LDS (yet), I suppose it is possible for you to completely miss the sarcasm that sixpacktr is trying to use. No, the bishop or branch president in your area will NOT delve into your own personal choices regarding abstaining from meat - even if you tell him all about it.

Scripture speaks of those that proclaim/command others to also not eat meat, but seems to be to be silent regarding those that personally choose to abstain. Seeking to be kind, thoughtful, and less impactful on any of God's creatures is not against any doctrine that I am aware of. (still, in designing our bodies, as evidenced by the hoops we have to jump through in order to meet dietary needs on a vegetarian diet, it does seem God intended us to partake of meat as part of our diet)

TIMOTHY CHAPTER 4

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

D&C SECTION 49

18 And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;

19 For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.

Is it just me, or is the apparent double negative in 18 trip others up too? I've always stumbled across that and had to force it into context to make sense for me. I want a comma in-between "forbiddeth" and "to" in order to read it correctly.

I am going to forewarn you, someone, somewhere is going to pull out D&C 49:18 on you.

And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;

The footnotes clarify it as bidding to abstain from meats. My inclination is its warning against people trying to teach that you must be a vegetarian as opposed to somebody deciding to be a vegetarian. That said you will probably face it at some point, most likely in a semi-serious joking manner, but somebody is bound to try to make a point of it in a serious way.

Edit: Bah, to slow.

I've recently made the decision to become vegetarian, mostly because of the issue with animal cruelty. However, I was wondering if this contradicted the doctrine of the church in any way. I know in the BoM it says meat is to be used "sparingly", but is it wrong to not use it at all?

Just wondering, because I wasn't sure; maybe it's a dumb question. But some people say vegetarians who are against killing animals for meat are "New Age", or are going against church doctrine because meat was used in the Bible and Book of Mormon.

Thanks.

If it moos, cluck, or snort, it is a daily feast. :lol: Sorry, it is Friday and requires some humor here.

Most vegetarians who do not eat meats claiming it is killing life, well, using their own logic, anything that is alive, whether it is small as a bacteria, an insect, a flower, a tree, a fish, an animal, it is still intelligence and considered life. Now it comes back to haunt them in their own thought process, no matter the species of life, they are still killing.

I think this topic is interesting. I try to avoid eating meat as much as I can and force my family to follow the same diet (they have no choice, hahaha). I find it interesting though that God gave the herb bearing seed and trees as the "meat" for Adam and Eve and all the animals before the fall. In a perfect world that seems to be the right set up for sustenance. I think it's good not to develop a strong taste for meat because in the next life it won't be available and we know we carry with us the same passions and desires here through to the next.

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

I was a vegetarian for a long time. Not because of the animal thing, I simply decided that meat was not for me, there was an odd taste to it. Especially with beef. Anyway, not sure what the Church says in regards to vegetarianism. So, you're probably OK ;]

How do I reconcile these three scriptures?

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/89/10-17#10:

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—

17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

http://scriptures.lds.org/1_tim/4/1-5

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/49/18-19#18

18 And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;

19 For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.

I hear all sorts of things about the Word of Wisdom, one is that no one can eat/drink any form of caffeine, some people will read D&C 89:17 and will get the idea that they should not eat other grain except wheat, or read verses 15-16 in the same chapter as saying that being vegetarian is ok in times when food is plentiful. However the Prophets throughout time have stated that we are commanded to not drink coffee, tea or anything with alcohol in it. We are also commanded not to use any form of tobacco. So should we be vegetarians? I don’t know, no prophet has ever said so. D&C 49:18-19 has been used to say that abstaining from meat is NOT of God, but outside of coffee, tea, alcohol, and tobacco, and although it doesn’t state it, the misuse of prescription, and over-the-counter, drugs, and the use of any form of illegal drugs, these are considered against the Word of Wisdom. Being a vegetarian is not going against the Word of Wisdom, nor is eating meat, nor is eating any other grain than wheat, or to drink caffeine (well not yet anyway).

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I think it's good not to develop a strong taste for meat because in the next life it won't be available and we know we carry with us the same passions and desires here through to the next.

wait a minute... how do we know this?

If it moos, cluck, or snort, it is a daily feast. :lol: Sorry, it is Friday and requires some humor here.

Most vegetarians who do not eat meats claiming it is killing life, well, using their own logic, anything that is alive, whether it is small as a bacteria, an insect, a flower, a tree, a fish, an animal, it is still intelligence and considered life. Now it comes back to haunt them in their own thought process, no matter the species of life, they are still killing.

You vegetable killer, you! :P

wait a minute... how do we know this?

Well, I guess I am assuming in the next life there is no meat available because there is no death. Eating fruits and seeds doesn't result in plant death necessarily. But, I have no idea what food substances are available or not in the next life, that's why I started out the phrase with "I think." But it seems logical to me that there will not be meat. If you think otherwise, please share your thoughts.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Well, I guess I am assuming in the next life there is no meat available because there is no death. Eating fruits and seeds doesn't result in plant death necessarily. But, I have no idea what food substances are available or not in the next life, that's why I started out the phrase with "I think." But it seems logical to me that there will not be meat. If you think otherwise, please share your thoughts.

well no one really knows what's going to be there in the next life... but I imagine it as heaven basically, with lots of things to do because we're up there for eternity :P so I don't really see why there can't be meat... maybe there's some way for there to be meat and no death. it could happen... the things of the heavens don't seem to follow what we'd logically think. besides I think too many people including myself would be sad if there was no meat, and it's supposed to be eternal happiness, so... :P but I don't really know of course, just my thoughts.

Some things that we think bring us happiness in this life are just fleeting happiness, just momentary and often times come with a price to pay, like having to lose weight after. True happiness is long lasting. It's hard to figure out what is it that brings true happiness, that's what the gospel is for. When it says eat meat sparingly I am assuming that there are eternal happiness bringing consequences from that. A theory (outside of gospel teaching) would be that there is no meat available there but there could be some pretty good synthetic meat, who knows.

A heaven that would not include porterhouse steaks would be, well,.................hell.

Sometimes because we live in such a “sterile” environment of ignorance; we make decisions based on incomplete experiences and confused morals. I grew up in a home where most of the meat we ate we either raised or hunted. I understood even in my youth that my requirements for living often overlapped other creatures. There is no way to get around this even if one is a vegetarian. Cultivating crops alters the habitat of some living thing that must now suffer for the fulfillment of my needs.

I believe there are two very important things in life. Be thankful and grateful for what we have – which also means not being wasteful. The other thing is to not take more than you need. We are a gluttonous and an indulgent society.

I often wonder about people that do not eat meat because they think the “using” of other life is cruel. I think this comes from the sterile life they live not really understanding that most creatures suffer a much more cruel death at the hands of nature. For example most deer in the state of Utah are killed by automobile traffic than by hunters – so is it crueler to drive a car or to hunt deer in Utah and a deer being killed by a predator cannot be a better or more human end . But there is more. Having consulted at a slaughter physicality I have learned firsthand that there are many products (shampoo, soap, clothing and many other products including pharmaceuticals and cosmetics) that we use in society from various byproducts of animals. Let me be perfectly honest – you cannot live in this society and not use some product that impacts the life of some animal.

I have nothing against someone being a vegetarian but please do not tell me it is because you have decided not to use animal products in order that they may have a more fulfilling life when you have no idea what other animal products you are using or what the life in question would otherwise be like. It looks a little like hypocrisy. I apologize if this post seems cruel or blunt – if there was a better way of putting across the truth I would have utilized that method – but I am not as smart as others that could have – but didn’t.

The Traveler