An example where science and spiritual experiences don't mix?

pam

When people lose consciousness (usually by going to sleep at night), they have a wide range of experiences that can feel quite real (usually referred to as dreams).

It seems pretty obvious to me that people who lose consciousness and are near death could also have dream like experiences. It is also no surprise to me that people usually happen to see the edge of whatever afterlife they happen to believe in and give special meaning to the experience since almost dying tends to make people stop and think.

I find it amazing though and it states this also in the article..that the majority of these people that have near death experiences relate the same story. How can that be then?

I find it amazing though and it states this also in the article..that the majority of these people that have near death experiences relate the same story. How can that be then?

What is "the majority" and exactly what "same story" are they referring to and how closely do the accounts really match? The article is very light on details and sources. I also wonder how well accounts match up between different cultures and belief systems.

I'd also like to point out that dreams aren't completely random, they are synthesized from the world people know, so it is no big surprise when they have common themes.

I thought it interesting the explanation of one doctor about near death experiences.

Doctor says near-death experiences are in the mind - CNN.com

I am skeptical of what is called near death experience. Having been with a number of individuals (including friends and family) at the moment of death contributes to my skepticism. In general if the dying person is experiencing respiratory difficulties their passing can be unsettling and a bit of a violent (or painful) struggle whereas cardiac related failures may seem rather peaceful at the end. Good people may be as likely to struggle at death as those that have left much un-reconciled.

It is my experience that death is quite spiritual and for the most part I would not hesitate being with someone and offering comfort at death. Just as a note; I am most overwhelmed and inspired by those whose last thoughts are in concern for someone else.

The Traveler

Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, tells of being at his preacher-dad's bedside as he was dying. He says his dad kept mumbling something, so he bent down to listen. His dying thought was, "Just one more, Lord. Just one more soul for you. One more, just one more." If nothing else, there was someone with focus.