Buying a camera

Iggy

I will be going on a trip this Thanksgiving holiday to visit my side of the family and want to take pics of my siblings while they are still alive and relatively healthy. The digital camera we have is small & square and a pain for me to hold - my hands cramp up- I really don't like it.

I want one that will take good indoor and outdoor pics, focus itself, has a built in flash(i guess), and uses regular batteries.

I don't want to spend more than $250.00.

Have researched Sony, Canon and Kodak. Am at a loss- - - -

Any suggestions?

Guest Godless

The Sony Cyber-Shot series is outstanding. I have one of the older models (W80) and I love it. I never have to use the flash because it does such a great job of taking indoor pics in low-light conditions. All of the current models are probably going to be somewhat better than the one I have, and they have a few starting at under $200.

After reading your post again, I noticed that you want a camera that used regular batteries. Is there a reason for that? I'm not sure about digitals, but I know that film cameras sometimes have issues with battery corrosion when you use AA or AAA batteries, and that can damage your camera something awful. Like I said, I don't know if this problem exists for digital cameras as well or not, but personally I like having a rechargeable battery.

I agree with Godless on the rechargeable batteries. Spend a little money and get extra so you can have one set in your camera while the others are charging.

I have a Canon something. It's a step down from an SLR. It has some of the features of a SLR, but the convenience of a point and shoot. I absolutely love this camera. I bought it about a year ago and paid about $250.

Do some research on the internet, then go to Best Buy or someplace to handle the camera. That'll give you an idea of what you want. Then once you decide on what to buy, check the internet for good sales.

After reading your post again, I noticed that you want a camera that used regular batteries. Is there a reason for that?

The availability of batteries. In case I forget to pack extras, can always buy them in nearly any store.

Are there adapters that you can plug into your car and recharge batteries?

Oh, by the way everyone, I am a She not a He. :D

There are adapters you can purhcase that will allow you to plug any standard plug into your car. You plug the adapter into the lighter and then your standard plugs into the adapter. This way, you can charge any of your devices you need to. There are even ones that can support more than one plug or more than one device. Some will handle a power strip running multiple electronics. We have had 2 laptops, 2 'DS' type games, and 2 cell phones plugged into a power strip, plugged into a good one of these adapters.

Thought she was asking for specific models and sizes and at a budget, not an avalanche of information.

Im sure Iggy knows how to Google and pull up reviews, she was asking specifics and at a budget and asking personal recommendations on camera's....

I am, did, was.

Rather than order on-line, I want to be able to go to the store and get it. We have Staples, Best Buy, WalMart, Walgreens and Radio Shack right here in town.

So- I have gone to each store, on-line, looked at what they have, read the customer responses and then came here to see what you all like, dislike about your digital camera's.

Pam, the $ amount is NOT set in stone. I plan on paying about $250 then pay extra for a decent carrying case and extra memory.

I am going to go back to the stores, on-line and see who carries the Nixon. That really caught my eye. Jumped right out and said- Look closer at me, buy me. :lol:

Thanks everyone.

Guest Godless

The availability of batteries. In case I forget to pack extras, can always buy them in nearly any store.

Again, I prefer having one rechargeable battery so I don't have to worry about extras. That's just my personal preference though.

Are there adapters that you can plug into your car and recharge batteries?

I believe Canon makes some. I'm not so sure about Sony or other brands.

The best rated point and clicks right now are from Canon and Kodak (surprised?). For $250 bucks, you should be able to get a nice one. Go down to a few stores (Walmart, and camera stores), and check out the displays. Find one that feels right in your hands, etc.

Also, is this only for family shots and a few other simple shots? Or what else will you want to use it for? I have a Kodak with a 10x optical zoom lens (equivalent of about a 300-400mm lens), which allows me to do some nice nature shots. Birds are especially small and wild animals do not let most people approach them, so it's nice to have a big zoom. There are several point and click digital cameras with a 10x zoom in the $200 price range right now.

While you are at it, I suggest you consider getting a tripod. There are mini tripods you can get cheap, where you can set up your camera for long stills, or so you have time to jump into the family photo.

as stated previously dpreview.com is a good place to go to get reccomendations, they have a search function which really narrows the field down to price, battery type, mega pixels, , camera style, and tons of other criteria. It is not an overload of information if you set your criteria correctly. Also, you can't go wrong with a canon point and shoot, best buy has them for the amount of $ you are willing to lay out. the only real problem you may run into, is size, cameras, like phones are getting smaller and smaller. Newer almost always = smaller.

Canon Power Shot A1100IS

I also a bought a mini tripod, carrying case and (02) 2 GB memory cards. It uses AA batteries. I got more rechargable batteries (husband has the charger). It is smaller than I was looking for, but it feels comfortable in my hands.

Now to read the manual and play with it till I am comfortable enough to take pictures and videos. Yep, takes videos too.

All totaled I shelled out $286.13.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

this thread is apparently "solved" but I wanted to add a note about batteries

I'd say go with the lithium ones... they last ridiculously long, just one pair lasted nearly a month in Europe. they're a bit expensive but considering the trouble and long life, they're much more than worth it. and easier for me than rechargable ones since I didn't want to bother with bringing a charger, plug adapter, and voltage converter.

this thread is apparently "solved" but I wanted to add a note about batteries

I'd say go with the lithium ones... they last ridiculously long, just one pair lasted nearly a month in Europe. they're a bit expensive but considering the trouble and long life, they're much more than worth it. and easier for me than rechargable ones since I didn't want to bother with bringing a charger, plug adapter, and voltage converter.

I got duracell rechargable batteries. Husband already has a charger at home.

I am going to get the duo charger- can charge AA and AAA. Husbands camera uses 4 AAA's.