Cassie

For the past few months I've really felt the urge to take out my endowments in the temple. The only issue with this is I don't plan on going on a mission for another 2 years or so and I don't see marriage in the near future considering I want to serve a mission. I'll be 21 in January which finally qualifies me to serve a mission and I know you have to be endowed before you can serve, but I don't know if a year and a half would be too far in advance considering things could always change. So are there any sort of rules or stipulations on this that you guys know of? If there's any chance of me being able to take out my endowments early I would meet with my Bishop about it, but if there's not a chance for me to do it right now because of a rule I'd rather save the discussion for a later time. Thanks for your help!!:)

For the past few months I've really felt the urge to take out my endowments in the temple. The only issue with this is I don't plan on going on a mission for another 2 years or so and I don't see marriage in the near future considering I want to serve a mission. I'll be 21 in January which finally qualifies me to serve a mission and I know you have to be endowed before you can serve, but I don't know if a year and a half would be too far in advance considering things could always change. So are there any sort of rules or stipulations on this that you guys know of? If there's any chance of me being able to take out my endowments early I would meet with my Bishop about it, but if there's not a chance for me to do it right now because of a rule I'd rather save the discussion for a later time. Thanks for your help!!:)

If it is a prompting by the Spirit, see your Bishop for a temple recommend.

I'm 21 as well, and have also really wanted to take out my endowments... However, since I don't plan on serving a mission and I'm not getting married anytime soon, every bishop I have had has said that they will not give me a temple recommend for endowments, unless I was "over the age of 25". Kind of irritating because I really want it!! It is also hard to see my endowed friends never go to the temple, when I wish more than anything that I could go do a session!!

Hmm...there is no age limit excerpt 18 for male entering the military, 19 for male going on a mission, 21 for women for mission. Based on your worthiness, maturity in the gospel, and strong testimony of such, it is the determining factor before the Lord for a recommend. If you are prompted by the Spirit to obtain your endowment, see your Bishop and tell him.

I never heard that women had to wait until 25...but I do know it is not encourage for any worthy member outside of the military, mission, and sealing of marriage to seek a temple recommend. But this process is overridden by the Spirit [by the Lord] when prompted.

I'm 21 as well, and have also really wanted to take out my endowments... However, since I don't plan on serving a mission and I'm not getting married anytime soon, every bishop I have had has said that they will not give me a temple recommend for endowments, unless I was "over the age of 25". Kind of irritating because I really want it!! It is also hard to see my endowed friends never go to the temple, when I wish more than anything that I could go do a session!!

I know how difficult it is to have to wait for something. But these guidelines are from the 1st Presidency. In general, what was happening was that people who were not serving missions/getting married and receiving their own endowments were a little too immature and did not understand the seriousness of the covenants. That is not to say each and every person, nor am I implying that you are. But in general this was happening, so the 1st Presidency made these guidelines.

Go to the temple to do baptisms regularly. Be faithful in all you do and you will have the opportunity to receive your endowments. By the time you do, you will have an even deeper appreciation for that gift.

I know how difficult it is to have to wait for something. But these guidelines are from the 1st Presidency. In general, what was happening was that people who were not serving missions/getting married and receiving their own endowments were a little too immature and did not understand the seriousness of the covenants. That is not to say each and every person, nor am I implying that you are. But in general this was happening, so the 1st Presidency made these guidelines.

Go to the temple to do baptisms regularly. Be faithful in all you do and you will have the opportunity to receive your endowments. By the time you do, you will have an even deeper appreciation for that gift.

So the First Presidency did set guidelines requiring a person to be 25 years old before they can take out their endowments (unless marriage, mission, or military happen first of course)?

So the First Presidency did set guidelines requiring a person to be 25 years old before they can take out their endowments (unless marriage, mission, or military happen first of course)?

I don't remember the details--it was a letter sent to stake presidents and bishops, IIRC. I'm not sure if there was an actual age listed in the guidelines or if they simply stated that people not serving missions or getting married should wait longer to receive endowments.

Because it is a guideline, that means that bishops and stake presidents can make exceptions. It's best to work with your bishop and willingly receive his counsel. If he says to wait, then wait patiently while still preparing for the temple. If he says to do it, then prepare yourself for the temple and follow his guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

For future reference if any young adult sisters have any questions related to the temple or about endowments, I refer you to a book by Brittany Mangus called Prepare Now For The Temple. It's an amazing book and a very short read, but it does answer a lot of questions that may come up about endowments, the temple, or even your wedding day. I recommend this book to all girls who are thinking about receiving their endowment.

I think anyone who has the chance to get their endowments, should do them as soon as possible. I had planned on getting my endowments done this past July. It was a goal since my baptism in 2008. The first half of 2009 was a rough time for me. The closer July approached, I was slowly turning away from the church. On July 4th I made a choice that now prevents me from being in a temple. That was just a couple weeks from my target date to go to the temple. As of November 2009, I have virtually cut off all ties with my ward/stake. I also avoid the LDS members of my family. Other than this web site, I have no desire to do anything else with the church.

(NOT YELLING) MY ADVICE IS: DON'T WAIT TO DO YOUR ENDOWMENTS IF YOU CAN ALREADY DO THEM NOW. IF YOU WAIT, THINGS IN YOUR LIFE COULD CHANGE UNEXPECTANTLY THAT WOULD PREVENT YOU FROM YOU RECIEVING YOUR ENDOWMENTS.

I think anyone who has the chance to get their endowments, should do them as soon as possible. I had planned on getting my endowments done this past July. It was a goal since my baptism in 2008. The first half of 2009 was a rough time for me. The closer July approached, I was slowly turning away from the church. On July 4th I made a choice that now prevents me from being in a temple. That was just a couple weeks from my target date to go to the temple. As of November 2009, I have virtually cut off all ties with my ward/stake. I also avoid the LDS members of my family. Other than this web site, I have no desire to do anything else with the church.

(NOT YELLING) MY ADVICE IS: DON'T WAIT TO DO YOUR ENDOWMENTS IF YOU CAN ALREADY DO THEM NOW. IF YOU WAIT, THINGS IN YOUR LIFE COULD CHANGE UNEXPECTANTLY THAT WOULD PREVENT YOU FROM YOU RECIEVING YOUR ENDOWMENTS.

I don't know what happened in your life, but I think it better you did not make the temple covenants. It would have made things much harder to get back on track. It sounds to me like you weren't ready, so I trust the council to wait until you are absolutely ready.

The actual statement reads

Single members in their late teens or early twenties who have not received a mission call or who are not engaged to be married in the temple should not be recommended to the temple for their own endowment. They can however receive a Limited-Use Recommend to perform baptisms for the dead. The desire to witness temple marriages of siblings or friends is not sufficient reason for a young adult to be endowed.

That statement has been given in 2002, 2005 and 2007.

Is there any extenuating circumstances that are compelling you to become endowed?

I know that i'm in my early twenties, not going on a mission and not getting sealed anytime soon. But my leaders saw it fit to begin my temple prep now. But then, my circumstances are a bit different than most people's my age.

If you have a special reason why you think you need to be endowed now then be persistent. But if not, then it's best you just work on making yourself temple ready for the future.

I don't know what happened in your life, but I think it better you did not make the temple covenants. It would have made things much harder to get back on track. It sounds to me like you weren't ready, so I trust the council to wait until you are absolutely ready.

Agreed. Making mistakes after you've made the covenants are far more serious than if you haven't.