When will I get the Melchizedek Priesthood?

Hello,

I am a member for a little bit more than six months of the Church.

I got the Aaronic Priesthood and was called a priest short after my baptism and I always attended all the Sunday meetings.

I also blessed the Sacrament nearly every Sunday.

Right now I ask myself the question how long it will take to "get" the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Are there any conditions? I mean I follow the words that are written in the scriptures, the word of wisdom, the law of chastity etc.

So without being too "proud" of myself I would say that I am definitely worthy.

Do you think that it is just a matter of time, so that I will become a Melchizedek priest by the time I am a member for one year?

It would be nice if someone answers.

First, congrats on your baptism and acceptance as a member of the Lord's church. Second, it is usually one year considered the minimum period for you in obtaining the eternal priesthood. But I agree with Mizt, in allowing the Lord decides for you. Your testimony, obedience, and learning of the lesser priesthood will be a deceive factor for the Lord for approval. Elder Maxwell, use this phrase constantly in many address, “What manner of man are you?” If you are a disciple of the Christ, it will show not only on the surface but your character itself. Learn every aspect of the eternal priesthood and its duties. ;)

What happens when you approach the year mark? You will be questioned by the Bishop to verify if you have a strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and other aspects of the gospel that outwardly, you have demonstrated within your own ward. After or during, he will be prompted by the Spirit to act on those promptings. If you are ready, mature enough, you will be asked a minimal of fourteen questions. Once this is done, the ward’s Executive Secretary will make arrangement to make an appointment with the Stake Presidency. You will go through the same questioning and perhaps, a few sideliners to seek the guidance of the Spirit for a confirmation.

If you feel nervous, fast and pray both times in asking for the Spirit to be with you. Good luck on your eternal journey.

Some reading materials -

The Restoration of the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods

Dating the Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood

The Name "Melchizedek": Some Thoughts on Its Meaning and the Priesthood It Represents

What Every Elder Should Know— and Every Sister as Well: A Primer on Principles of Priesthood Government

“None Were Greater”: A Restoration View of Melchizedek

The Ten Blessings of the Priesthood

The Work of Our Priesthood Quorums

The Doctrine of the Priesthood

If you are an adult, you can receive the Melchizedek priesthood as early as 3 months after baptism. Several bishops will have the person wait for the person to be a member one year to ensure they are well established in the Church and active first. It is determined by the bishop on how ready he feels you are to receive it. If you feel you are ready, definitely set up a time to discuss it with the bishop, so as to give yourself a timeframe.

This is something you should talk to your bishop about.

I know "back in the day" they use to have this New Member Progress Report. It was a check list each new member was suppose to do to keep them progressing.

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

Have you been assigned Home teaching? Have you given a talk in church (I am pretty sure those were on the list).

This came up with a new member with our last bishop. He said something like the instructions state the person should have sufficient understanding of the Gospel before they receive it. Since New Members are supposed to attend Gospel Principle class until they have gone through the lessons once which takes a year that would make it roughly a year less any time someone attended class before baptism.

At least in our neck of the woods Priesthood advancement beyond Aaronic is done during Stake Conference or twice per year. There are also lessons that need to be taught before this happens. One new convert this year missed most of the Priesthood advancement lessons due to bad weather and health in the winter. Our Bishop was called to the Stake this year and they took 5 months to find another so ours was acting as a Bishop and a member of the Stake Presidentcy at the same time. And one councilor moved out of the Ward and the other spent the summer working 60 hour weeks. So reteaching the priesthood lessons was completly forgotten. Stake Conference is this weekend so the poor new convert will have to wait another 6 months and will have to try and take the lessons in the winter yet again!

Thank you very much for the answers.

I already gave a talk in church and my testimony, but I am not a home teacher, but to talk about home teaching, most of the people who join the priesthood classes in my ward are no hometeachers.

I don´t know why, but that is how it is.

Many of you said that I should talk with my bishop about my desire to get the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Should I really do that? It could be a sign that I do not have a lot of patience.

Don`t you think that he will talk to me someday around the time I will be a member for nearly a year?

I mean, he won´t forget me just because I did not talk to him about the subject.

What are these lessons you (LDSVALLEY) talked about: You do not mean the lessons we join every Sunday from 9 am to 10 am?

Perhaps I will talk to my bishop if I can join these Priesthood Advancement lessons.

I mean it would be a good idea and I would be prepared by the time he thinks I am ready to "get" the Melchisedek Priesthood.

What are these lessons you (LDSVALLEY) talked about: You do not mean the lessons we join every Sunday from 9 am to 10 am?

There are a number of lessons that need to be taken in a special class or group before you can advance to the Melchizedek Priesthood. When I took them a decade ago there were 5. I know the number of lessons has changed a couple of times so it might be from 4-6 now. Each is around 90 minutes depending on the number of potential Priesthood holders. It is not a continual class but one that is set up when the need is there.

As for the Home Teachers it must be interesting to be in a ward that doesn't have as many people as home teachers as possible. In our Ward the day you are called as an Aaronic Priesthood holder your a home teacher with 4-6 families to visit. Even then 80% of the less actives don't have Home Teachers assigned just so we can cover the actives.

As for talking to your Bishop I would instead go to the EQ President or High Priest Group Leader. You are a member of EQ and officially the High Priest Group is responsible to insure you are trained in the Priesthood so either would be appropriate. Remember Leaders are called of God but not trained by man in most cases. From experience it is often a "thank you for accepting this leadership calling, here is a leadership manual, talk to the outgoing leader, pray for inspiration and good luck." as a method of training for people. So Leaders can quickly become so stuck in dealing with the emergency or the more vocal stuff and the quit little things get put off. So ask to speak with one of them you feel more comfortable with and tell them your question. Don't ask when you'll get it but ask what you need to prepare in order to be ready to receive it and how much time do you have before it comes up so you can be ready for it. Since you have them anyway also ask when you can become a Home Teacher because you want to serve. Unless your area is the complete opposite of ours they should leap at the chance to have more help and men who want to honor the Priesthood.

Yes, absolutely make an appointment and talk to your bishop. There is nothing wrong with you wanting to have the priesthood and bishops are typically really busy. As much as he may want to think of each person in the ward, he just can't. Doesn't mean he doesn't care, just means he is human and can't get to everything as he needs to. So, don't wait for him.

And I agree with LDSValley--talk to the EQ President or HP group leader to get assigned as a home teacher. Perhaps you are in a ward that has sufficient amount of home teachers, but at least you can let them know you are willing to serve. They will know to call you when needed.

If I never came to my bishop about serving a mission, I would not be going. If I were a bishop and I was being asked that question by someone that was seemingly worthy. I'd just think they're excited. Ask him, he's the man to know.

Also, when you do receive it. It's not a bad idea to keep a small bottle of oil with you. I do. It hasn't paid off yet, but I'm sure it will soon. :)