My call has arrriiiiiivveeedd!

StallionMcBeastly

Congratulations! I've been absentee for awhile, and I just saw this (I guess it's only a week old). I'm really excited for you. You should find out if your mission president will let you log onto LDS.net while you're in the field, because your contributions to discussions here will certainly be missed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! I've been absentee for awhile, and I just saw this (I guess it's only a week old). I'm really excited for you. You should find out if your mission president will let you log onto LDS.net while you're in the field, because your contributions to discussions here will certainly be missed.

I do sincerely doubt he will allow this. There are many things on this forum that a missionary shouldn't really be seeing throughout the duration of his mission. It's just another temptation that isn't really necessary.

In the few mission areas that I am familiar with, the rule in the white handbook of only visiting official LDS websites is pretty much stuck to with the exception of one, which may have allowed them to visit fairlds.org. The reason for this is that they allow their missionaries to give out that website to investigators (whether rightly or wrongly) and it would seem silly if they weren't allowed to look at it themselves.

The white handbooks says that they can give out a website like fairlds.org. Wow.

Last I knew the only access to the Internet was to send emails and those were to only to family. Parents and siblings. They are not to be emailing all their friends either. Last I knew.

The white handbook is the same throughout the world for missionaries. It does not change from mission to mission. Mission Presidents can and do interpret it differently at times but the booklet is the same.

Ben Raines

The white handbooks says that they can give out a website like fairlds.org. Wow.

Last I knew the only access to the Internet was to send emails and those were to only to family. Parents and siblings. They are not to be emailing all their friends either. Last I knew.

The white handbook is the same throughout the world for missionaries. It does not change from mission to mission. Mission Presidents can and do interpret it differently at times but the booklet is the same.

Ben Raines

No, it was an exception. I've not seen it elsewhere however this was definitely listed as websites to give to investigators in the mission pack given to each new missionary in that area. I'm assuming a mission president (or people who work on his behalf) wrote the content of the mission pack at some point.

I must admit I was quite surprised that they allowed it, the church has no jurisdiction over that website and its content - the owners could change the stance they have towards the church at any moment and/or publish something as doctrine when it isn't.

Also, if I remember correctly, contact with friends is allowed, but within moderation. I haven't seen the white handbook in over a year though so can't be 100% sure.

Hello Stallion, You are coming up to Anchorage, Alaska...That is awesome. I just moved up here in September. You will love it as much as I do. There are some awesome missionaries up here right now. Maybe we will run into each other. If you want to know some questions about Alaska or anything else up here just e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be glad to answer.

Thank you very much for the kind words, Wingy!

haahaa well, I'll have to ask. How sweet would it be if I could give you all updates? I wouldn't hold your breath!

Where did you go on your mission, again?

Thank you very much for the kind words, Wingy!

haahaa well, I'll have to ask. How sweet would it be if I could give you all updates? I wouldn't hold your breath!

Where did you go on your mission, again?

I went to San Jose, CA (Spanish speaking).

I have an LDS blogging buddy who lives in Anchorage.

I remember that experience; I remember getting a call from home telling me it had arrived. I also remembering thinking that I could work the rest of the day and open it later that night, I couldn’t. In fact, I couldn’t work 10 minutes after I knew it was home waiting for me. Finally my boss said “Get out of here” and she sent me home so I could tell everyone where I was going!

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA!!!!!!!!

I'm so pumped! That's one of the places where I said I wanted to go.

Thanks all for being so interested and supportive!!!!!

My brother is going to....dum dum dum.... Toronto, Canada!

Thermal undies for both!!

No way, I was in town when you got it! Congrats! I'm excited for ya!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Pammy!! I hope I get to go there. Everyone I've talked to that's been to Alaska loves it.

I report on December 16th... my brother too. So soon!

Looks like tomorrow is the big day for him. Stallion I wish you the best and go get em'!!

Alaska. That's awesome that is where I grew up. I'd tell you to get a hold of me if you ever serve in Fairbanks or North Pole but that isn't entirely practical. To bad Missionaries can't hunt, but they can fish (if they do it from shore and buy a license).

P.S. If you do ever serve in Fairbanks or North Pole, make an effort to try out Food Factory.

Edited by Dravin

Heck..if he goes to the North Pole...check and report back and let us know if Santa really does exist. Forget the Food Factory.

*twitch*

It's almost like living there again. Oh the candy cane shaped street lamps and Christmas decorations seem neat now. Not so much in July. But that's my own prejudice speaking and why I generally told people I grew up in Fairbanks not North Pole on my mission, the inevitable Santa Jokes are like polygamy jokes for people admitting they grew up in Utah, you've heard'em all before.

To answer you question, I don't know if he really exists but he does have a house there: The Original Letter from Santa since 1952 | Santa Claus House - North Pole, Alaska