Second Coming / Sign of the rainbow?

spect

Joseph Smith said of the rainbow:

“I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, "In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year; but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.”

(Smith, Joseph. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Joseph F. Smith, 1976., pp. 340-41).

So what do you supose could happen so that there would be no rainbow?

Do you take from this statement that the Lord will come in the year with no rainbow?

Speaking about the quote above and one other quote that Joseph Smith made I say:

What are we able to deduce from a close analysis of these two statements? Here are my conclusions.

In the first quote we learn that “in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come”. So, conversely, “in any year” that the bow should not be seen the Lord will come.

We are also told that “in any year that the bow should be seen…there should be seed time”. From this we can conclude that something will happen that year to interfere with “seed time” and of course without planting there can be no harvest.

We need to be looking for the lack of a rainbow early in the year for it to be a warning to us. Apparently, by “seed time” whatever is going to happen will have already commenced.

In the second quote we learn that “in the year when the bow was not to be seen would commence desolation, calamity, and distress among the nations, without seed time or harvest”. So taking these two statements together we conclude that “in the year” when “desolation, calamity, and distress” will “commence”, the Lord will come.

“The year…without seed time or harvest” act as verification that the sign is authentic. So if we consider the commencement of “desolation, calamity, and distress among the nations” in a year “without seed time or harvest” to be a part of the sign, we can also expect that he will not come until the fulfillment of the entire sign is complete. If this were the case, we should not be looking for the Lord to appear until after “harvest” time.

I remember listening to a speaker talk about the idea that Joseph Smith’s birth coming just after the winter solstice, when the days get longer, was symbolic of light coming into the world. He also taught that his death coming just after the summer solstice, when the days get shorter, was symbolic of light going out of the world. I think the title of his adderss was something like, “All things testify of Christ”. Considering the amount of symbolism contained in the gospel and the fact that all things do testify of Christ, we should not be surprised if he makes his appearance just after the winter solstice.

You can read a more about this at Home. See chapter 22. We live in the last days and can expect to undrstand much of what is going on if will take the time to study and ponder. Go to my web site here.

“I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, "In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year; but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.”

(Smith, Joseph. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Joseph F. Smith, 1976., pp. 340-41).

Rainbows are caused when light enters raindrops and reflects off the side of drops and exits. The rainbow acts like a prism. What it takes to make it so their are no rainbows are no light or no raindrops.

Well everything is really symbolic in the scriptures... There shall be no sea, doesn't mean there isn't going to be an ocean, Moon turn to blood, Sun shall be darkened, stars fall from heaven. Birds in the trees, beasts of the field, fishes of the sea all symbolize different levels of people, CEL TER TEL. The Rainbow Symbolizes a Covenant made with Noah and sometimes represents Noah.

What any of this could mean? I have no idea...

Edited by pam
link must be in signature not in body of message

Do you take from this statement that the Lord will come in the year with no rainbow?

Drought?

I believe the prophecy is both physical and spiritual. But, the physical rainbow we see only comes when moisture is present.

(Sorry, I'm still catching up... I only read the OP)

Is that a calendar year or just the next 365 days? If I see a rainbow am I safe for the next 365 days or just until December 31?

What if the rainbow is somewhere else in the world and not where I live. Is it rainbows throughout the world or just in my neighborhood? Nuclear winter would keep there from being a rainbow.

I think the wisdom in being prepared and if you are prepared you shall not fear is best. Are you wise or foolish? Going to wait for the sign to prepare? To late if you wait for the sign.

Ben Raines

Rainbows are caused when light enters raindrops and reflects off the side of drops and exits. The rainbow acts like a prism. What it takes to make it so their are no rainbows are no light or no raindrops.

Don't forget a fundemental change in the way light acts (or water I suppose), that'll do it too. Oh and if everyone is struck blind (similar to your lack of light supposition) then the conditions would be met. I'm not sure that a literal reading is the way to go, and if I recall one of my first introductions to you on this board's former incarnation neither do you. :)

If we don't insist on a literal reading a severe drought might be what is being described.

• 1 year later...

A severe drought.

Extreme Drought

Thats the myth. I doubt it though. Worldwide no rain during a time when the sun is shining (which is when a rainbow occurs) for an entire year? seems unlikely to me.

• 3 years later...

I would say we are getting very close both temporally and spiritually.  California is having the WORST DROUGHT IN 1200 years!  Wake up people (of the world)!.  It is said that California has 1 more year of drinking water left too.

Also, the "sign of the rainbow" could be referencing the "LGBT" / gay rights flag.  When the flag disappears (when they have "won" the political battle), that's when the Savior will intervene and stop the wickedness from getting worse, just like Sodom and Gomorrah.  Isaiah also spoke about the 2nd coming and said "their faces doth declare their wickedness to be even as Sodom and Gomorrah" (paraphrasing).

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/californias-drought-worst-1-200-years-researchers-say-n262621

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/california-drought/death-yoda-650-year-old-tree-tells-tale-southwest-drought-n195251

Death of Yoda the 650-Year-Old Tree Tells Tale of Southwest Drought

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines-of-the-gospel-student-manual/chapter-36-the-lords-second-coming?lang=eng

Joseph Smith said of the rainbow: “I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, "In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year; but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.” (Smith, Joseph. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Joseph F. Smith, 1976., pp. 340-41). So what do you supose could happen so that there would be no rainbow? Do you take from this statement that the Lord will come in the year with no rainbow?

well if there is little to none water precipitation that will happen. Or if there is a long enough cloud cover (or ash cover).

I would say we are getting very close both temporally and spiritually.  California is having the WORST DROUGHT IN 1200 years!  Wake up people (of the world)!.  It is said that California has 1 more year of drinking water left too.

Also, the "sign of the rainbow" could be referencing the "LGBT" / gay rights flag.  When the flag disappears (when they have "won" the political battle), that's when the Savior will intervene and stop the wickedness from getting worse, just like Sodom and Gomorrah.  Isaiah also spoke about the 2nd coming and said "their faces doth declare their wickedness to be even as Sodom and Gomorrah" (paraphrasing).

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/californias-drought-worst-1-200-years-researchers-say-n262621

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/california-drought/death-yoda-650-year-old-tree-tells-tale-southwest-drought-n195251

Death of Yoda the 650-Year-Old Tree Tells Tale of Southwest Drought

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines-of-the-gospel-student-manual/chapter-36-the-lords-second-coming?lang=eng

pretty extreme.  Are we sure CA is having the worst drought?  Your news articles are less than authoritative, plus they reference the drought in the 1600's......... they must be talking about the drought during the little ice age 1300 - 1850......when the world was much colder than it had ever been....