Two become one = Godhood?

Lost_one

I know that this may seem like a stupid idea, But for some reason it makes sense to me and I wanted other people to look at it and tell me what they think.

We are told by the Prophet that we need to be sealed in the Temple in order to reach Godhood. Also Paul said that we leave Father and Mother and become one with our Husband/Wife.

I know it's not a good idea to take thing's in scriptures literaly, But one thing I have noticed is that everything we do here on earth, seems to be a mirror of something in Heaven.

So here is my suggestion. The reason that we don't really hear anything about our Heavenly Mother and why St John the Devine did not talk about her is that The Father and Mother are literaly one being. In other words, When they were sealed in the Temple during there earthly life, they really were sealed together and became one. So what St John saw on the throne was in fact the combined spirit of Father and Mother.

I believe that only a pair of sealed spirits can become a God, as a single spirit could not gain enough glory on its own to reach Godhood, But a combined spirit could. God is perfect and we as humans are not, But we can achieve something close to perfection by pulling the best of both a man and a woman. Marriage is a team and only works if both are pulling in the same direction. Marriage seems to be a nod to this. A man and woman in perfect harmony is in my opinion, the strongest force on earth, why would this be any differant in heaven?

I hope I made sense there.

I know that this may seem like a stupid idea, But for some reason it makes sense to me and I wanted other people to look at it and tell me what they think.

We are told by the Prophet that we need to be sealed in the Temple in order to reach Godhood. Also Paul said that we leave Father and Mother and become one with our Husband/Wife.

I know it's not a good idea to take thing's in scriptures literaly, But one thing I have noticed is that everything we do here on earth, seems to be a mirror of something in Heaven.

So here is my suggestion. The reason that we don't really hear anything about our Heavenly Mother and why St John the Devine did not talk about her is that The Father and Mother are literaly one being. In other words, When they were sealed in the Temple during there earthly life, they really were sealed together and became one. So what St John saw on the throne was in fact the combined spirit of Father and Mother.

I believe that only a pair of sealed spirits can become a God, as a single spirit could not gain enough glory on its own to reach Godhood, But a combined spirit could. God is perfect and we as humans are not, But we can achieve something close to perfection by pulling the best of both a man and a woman. Marriage is a team and only works if both are pulling in the same direction. Marriage seems to be a nod to this. A man and woman in perfect harmony is in my opinion, the strongest force on earth, why would this be any differant in heaven?

I hope I made sense there.

I agree with allot of what you said about marrige but disagree with combined spirit.

The proclamation on family teaches that gender is eternal, and that men are providers, women are nurtures. Men will always be men, and women will always be women

They become one in purpose, not in form.

The Godhead works together in this fashion right now, all pulling in the same direction,in perfect harmony, without being the same.

What member of the Godhead provides comfort and support, "pulls in the same direction as God", "conceived" Jesus, and is so sacred that the only unforgivable sin is to blasphemy their name?

Edited by hordak

I agree with allot of what you said about marrige but disagree with combined spirit.

The proclamation on family teaches that gender is eternal, and that men are providers, women are nurtures. Men will always be men, and women will always be women

They become one in purpose, not in form.

The Godhead works together in this fashion right now, all pulling in the same direction,in perfect harmony, without being the same.

What member of the Godhead provides comfort and support, "pulls in the same direction as God", "conceived" Jesus, and is so sacred that the only unforgivable sin is to blasphemy their name?

This is the traditional view of the Godhead, But reading scripture I do get a sense of something deeper. Maybe I'm just to much of a romantic. I get the image of 2 spirits within a single body, in a state of constant love. Not 2 spirits becoming 1 spirit, But 2 spirits inhabiting a single body. In other words, 2 become 1.

The ancient Hebrew word to describe “one” G-d is “ehad”. This is also the same word used in reference to the marriage of a man and a woman becoming one. There is another word to describe a single individual (single body) and that word is “yhead”. Since yhead is never use to describe G-d – I personally do not accept the single individual notion of G-d. The ancients seemed to understand this clearly but for some reason we modern type waffle a lot on this concept.

There are a couple of other concepts that relate to the “ehad” idea is that all parts are necessary to comprise the whole. It seems simple but a man by himself, without his wife is incomplete – even as an individual. So wholeness of an individual is included in oneness of marriage and the other interesting notion is that of holy; which is also related to completeness and oneness. The final concept I would like to reference is “perfect”. The ancients understood that perfect was being whole, holy and complete. We overemphasize the concept of being withour flaw rather that the possession of wholeness, hollyness or completeness. Personally, I like the ancient concept – but then I am probably much older than anyone else on this forum.

The Traveler

I know people who believe this. They also use the story of Adam and Eve to back up the concept. Originally Adam was androgenous or a composite being. Then, Eve was seperated from Adam. The idea is that to become celestial or whole they will need to be rejoined.

It certainly is a justified literal rendering of scripture.

I don't believe marriage is necessary to become whole or complete (little children are whole w/o marriage). I do believe it is symbolic of what must take place on an individual/internal basis.

I have a hard time believing that we would be resurrected only to reject one body and share another.

Interesting concept. But wouldn't it counter the promise we have that we're all resurrected? I mean, if my body goes away and I end up sharing a male body with whoever, my body has then "died."

I also wonder about this: so the "perfect" body is male. So, somehow a female body is imperfect or inferior and can't be divine?

As above, so below. I think the Mother is a creative force in and of Herself and is much more powerful than we give Her credit for. I've never seen a male give birth. So, could we create if we are merged into one body?

The ancient Hebrew word to describe “one” G-d is “ehad”. This is also the same word used in reference to the marriage of a man and a woman becoming one. There is another word to describe a single individual (single body) and that word is “yhead”. Since yhead is never use to describe G-d – I personally do not accept the single individual notion of G-d. The ancients seemed to understand this clearly but for some reason we modern type waffle a lot on this concept.

There are a couple of other concepts that relate to the “ehad” idea is that all parts are necessary to comprise the whole. It seems simple but a man by himself, without his wife is incomplete – even as an individual. So wholeness of an individual is included in oneness of marriage and the other interesting notion is that of holy; which is also related to completeness and oneness. The final concept I would like to reference is “perfect”. The ancients understood that perfect was being whole, holy and complete. We overemphasize the concept of being withour flaw rather that the possession of wholeness, hollyness or completeness. Personally, I like the ancient concept – but then I am probably much older than anyone else on this forum.

The Traveler

I am sorry for this traveler as I do appreciate the point you are making, but not ALL the ancients figured this out. As I recall there were a few that missed the boat on lots of stuff too. We are all learning just as they were.

St. John the Divine is the attributed author of Revelations, but among scholars there is some division as to whether this writer was also John the Apostle.

I always hear him referred to as John the beloved.....because he was dearly loved by Christ. I didn't realize there was a question as to the identity of the author of Revelations....at least in the mormon church. At least I have been taught that John the beloved and and the author of revelations were one in the same

Interesting concept. But wouldn't it counter the promise we have that we're all resurrected? I mean, if my body goes away and I end up sharing a male body with whoever, my body has then "died."

I also wonder about this: so the "perfect" body is male. So, somehow a female body is imperfect or inferior and can't be divine?

As above, so below. I think the Mother is a creative force in and of Herself and is much more powerful than we give Her credit for. I've never seen a male give birth. So, could we create if we are merged into one body?

I don't believe the female body is inferior. The only differance between a male body and female body are reproductive organs and if I understand it correctly, we are created as spiritual beings first. I don't believe we need reproductive organs for that. So although Heavenly Father is refered to as male, I think this is more to do with our male dominated sociaty, than his actual sex.

We humans have many organs in the body that we would simply not need in a celestial world. I see male and female as equal in everyway, that is why my idea makes sense to me. The female would not die, but simply become one with her husband. Think of it like a car. You and your husband buy the car, you both choose in what direction it is going in. You as a woman don't suddenly die when you get in the car, you are still an individual within it, just like your husband is. The car is not male or female, even if we refer to it as one or the other. It is built for purpose, just like the earthly body is and I believe the heavenly body or bodies would be built for purpose.

Hope that made sense.