Book of Mormon Trivia

stickybuzz

Hello all!

I'm new here, so I really don't want this to sound spammy, but I just launched a Book of Mormon Trivia game for the iPhone and I'm hoping to get feedback about it. It looked to me that the General forum would be best place to do this, so here I am :)

It's my first iPhone app and I'm very excited about it, there's over 200 Book of Mormon questions of varying difficulty (some of them are really hard!) with more on the way, and it lets you see what questions you got wrong and what the right answers are.

I'd love to hear from everyone about what features you'd like to see, or anything you'd like changed about the app.

If you've got iTunes you can find the app here: iTunes Store

Thanks!

-- Orien

-- Sticky Buzz Software

(Medium difficulty) To whom did Nephi (son of Lehi) bequeath the large plates?

I think Jacob got the small plates. Since it was Sam that followed Nephi I would have to assume it was him. But I honestly don't know.

I know the large plates were passed from kings to kings. I'm just wondering about the time frame that Nephi had them till the time that there were actually kings. There wasn't a king at the time that Nephi and Sam moved their family into the Americas and a Nephite establishment was made from those that followed Nephi.

Something I just read says in 544 BC Nephi chooses a king and gives him charge of the large plates of Nephi. But it doesn't say who the King is.

I must get to the bottom of this. hahaha

Nope, sorry. Anyone else?

So are you going to say that the answer is "we don't know"? Jacob doesn't specifically mention the large plates in Jacob chapter 1 when he's taking over for Nephi, so I guess you could make the argument that he might have given them to the king that he appointed. I find that unlikely though. There's no indication anywhere that I know of that the record was split up like that, and Jacob clearly had the small plates. I think Jacob there was pointing out Nephi's instruction to keep the small plates for spiritual matters, rather than implying that he didn't have the large plates.

I could be wrong though :)

The kings?

Bingo. And since we don't know who the king following Nephi was (Jacob says only "a man"), the best answer is probably "a man other than Jacob". Well, Mahone's and Pam's are probably the best answer, but you know what I mean.

Jacob 1:9

9 Now Nephi began to be old, and he saw that he must soon die; wherefore, he annointed a man to be a king and a ruler over his people now, according to the reigns of the kings.

Jacob never mentions who that king is. As Vort stated: It only says "a man."

Jacob 1:9

9 Now Nephi began to be old, and he saw that he must soon die; wherefore, he annointed a man to be a king and a ruler over his people now, according to the reigns of the kings.

Jacob never mentions who that king is. As Vort stated: It only says "a man."

Yes, but it ALSO doesn't say that Nephi gave the large plates to him. So where is that coming from?

Everything I have read and researched in the last couple of hours says the large plates were passed from kings to kings. Since Nephi annointed another to be king because he was dying..I am assuming that is who he passed the large plates on to.

Everything I have read and researched in the last couple of hours says the large plates were passed from kings to kings. Since Nephi annointed another to be king because he was dying..I am assuming that is who he passed the large plates on to.

I'm assuming that Jacob got them because he had the small plates, and I'm not aware of any time when the Large plates were watched by one person while the Small plates were watched by a second person.

Now, even if I'm wrong about that, that still doesn't mean for sure that Nephi gave the second king the record. If it doesn't state that anywhere then I think the answer has to be "we don't know", unless the question is rephrased to something like "who did Nephi most likely give the large plates to".

Nephi succeeded his father, Lehi, as keeper of that record, which became known as the large plates of Nephi.

Nephi wrote that “upon [these] plates should be engraven an account of the reign of the kings, and the wars and contentions of my people.” (1 Ne. 9:4; italics added.)

Later, when they grew to be a numerous people, this account was kept by the kings

Taken from a talk found here

As it never mentions that Jacob was who Nephi annointed as king...you may be right in that we don't know. But I take the account of Jacob that it was not him that Nephi annointed.

Also taken from the same talk:

But it was not the most valuable record, for Nephi was commanded to keep yet another account—not a secular account this time, but a record of the ministry. This record, the small plates of Nephi, was kept by the prophets rather than by the kings.

Reference?

Jacob 1:1-3

...Nephi gave me, Jacob, a commandment concerning the small plates, upon which these things are engraven. And he gave me, Jacob, a commandment that I should write upon these plates a few of the things which I considered to be most precious; that I should not touch, save it were lightly, concerning the history of this people which are called the people of Nephi. For he said that the history of his people should be engraven upon his other plates [that is, upon the large plates of Nephi], and that I should preserve these plates [that is, the small plates of Nephi] and hand them down unto my seed, from generation to generation.

Note that Jacob explicitly mentions being given charge of the small plates, but does not mention being given charge of the large plates -- despite talking about those plates. Clearly, Jacob was given the small plates, but it appears he was not given the large plates. Who was?

Many generations later, a descendant of Jacob who received the plates (Amaleki) wrote:

Omni 25

And it came to pass that I began to be old; and, having no seed, and knowing king Benjamin to be a just man before the Lord, wherefore, I shall deliver up these plates unto him...

He has no seed, and apparently no surviving brother or other male relatives, so he cannot continue to fulfill Nephi's commandment to Jacob to keep the small plates. So he gives them to -- the prophet? No. He gives them to the king, because he knows him to be "a just man before the Lord". But why the king instead of some ecclesiastical authority? Two possibilities spring to mind:

• There was no regularly constituted ecclesiastical authority; or, equivalently, the king functioned as the leader of the Church.
  • The king had the other records (large plates of Nephi), so he was the logical choice.

That #2 is the case is quickly established, as for example in Words of Mormon 10:

Wherefore, it came to pass that after Amaleki had delivered up these plates into the hands of king Benjamin, he took them and put them with the other plates, which contained records which had been handed down by the kings, from generation to generation until the days of king Benjamin.

Anyway, that's my take on the matter.

Edited by Vort

Also according to the Church's Book of Mormon Student manual:

Before his death, Nephi gave Jacob the responsibility of taking care of the small plates. Nephi also instructed Jacob to write “a few of the things which [Jacob] considered to be most precious”

No mention that Jacob was also given the large plates.

It is interesting though..Nephi was so detailed about so many other things..why didn't he mention who this king was he annointed?

Nephi either did not write in his record after finishing 2 Nephi, or else he wrote it in the large plates, which were redacted by Mormon. The 116 lost pages (or Book of Lehi) may possibly have named the kings between Nephi and Mosiah I, but alas, they have been lost and are not likely to be coming back any time soon.

Note that Jacob explicitly mentions being given charge of the small plates, but does not mention being given charge of the large plates -- despite talking about those plates. Clearly, Jacob was given the small plates, but it appears he was not given the large plates. Who was?

That's not a safe assumption to make. Not mentioning the large plates does not mean that he didn't have them. It only means that he didn't mention them.

Wherefore, it came to pass that after Amaleki had delivered up these plates into the hands of king Benjamin, he took them and put them with the other plates, which contained records which had been handed down by the kings, from generation to generation until the days of king Benjamin.

Ahh, now that's exactly what I was looking for! Here we have scriptural proof that the large and small plates where kept by separate people for at least some of the time. Thanks for that! That hadn't sunk in before.

Because of that, I concede that it's much more likely that the second king got the large plates than did Jacob. However since it doesn't actually say that, were I to write a trivia question about this I'd phrase it as "most likely" and then I'd leave Jacob out as a possibility in the answer choices just to avoid argument.

I think this could be a safe assumption. As I quoted in the talk earlier..it shows the large plates were kept by kings while the small plates by Prophets. Jacob was a prophet.

Ahh, now that's exactly what I was looking for! Here we have scriptural proof that the large and small plates where kept by separate people for at least some of the time. Thanks for that! That hadn't sunk in before.

It only took me a trifling 25+ times reading the Book of Mormon to spot the connections. Some of us are just preternaturally gifted in these areas.