To peacoat or not to peacoat

allredcon

Ok, since I'll be in CT it's going to be a little chilly -- I need opinions.

My dad thinks a peacoat will be too faddish for the mission field, but, when I'm wearing a suit jacket and missionary clothing underneath I think it looks like a very simple coat and it'll be warm to boot cause it's wool. this is what I'm looking at:

Too stylish? or would this work?

Posted Image

Couple of thoughts. First, your coat is going to depend on what you like. You'll be doing a lot of walking/biking and so you need to keep that in mind. Your legs might get cold without an overcoat, but it would be hard to wear one while biking.

Second, you might ask your mission president his suggestion. Usually, MP will write a letter/email to you to let you know of any specific things needed for the mission (at least, mine did, but I served foreign). Or, you may find that once you get in the mission field, your mind will change completely and you'll need to get a new coat altogether.

Bleh...I'm not much help.

Unless you're from the Southwest, you probably won't need thermal garments in CT. I do fine with cotton or DriSilque. I guess being outdoors a lot of the day makes a difference, though. I would also investi n some of the Drilux fabric, which wicks moisture away from the body, as New England can get pretty humid in the Summer.

For music, obviously Mormon Tabernacle Choir would be appropriate. I also enjoyed EFY CDs. Some other favorites are Women at the Well, The Garden, Great Than Us All, From Cumorah's Hill, and Joseph Smith the Prophet (by Rob Gardner). Marving Goldstein does some nice piano instrumental CDs with church hymns, and I would check out Michael Dowdle's collection -- he does acoustic guitar.

Also, a little sidetracking, but my mission pres said music is ok as long as it invites the spirit. anyone have any good ideas for that, too?

Each mission president is different on what is allowed. Typically, you won't have time to listen to music except while getting ready in the morning or getting ready for bed at night.

Honestly, I would wait until you get in the mission field before thinking about music. You can't have anything in the MTC--no MoTab, nothing. Once in the field, your companions will have music and will be able to let you know the guidelines.

And you may find you don't even want to mess with bringing any music. So, I would advise you to wait until the field. If you decide then, you can have your parents send you a package or something with stuff in it.

derail:

My MP was very liberal in what was allowed for music. I had one companion that LOVED Harry Conick Jr. I used to tease her that most people when thinking on their missions would think of How Great Thou Art or Come, Come Ye Saints. Instead, I think of Recipe for Making Love or Stardust....

/derail

I used to wear my dad's old navy peacoat as my winter coat, it was nice but I often got cold. I didn't realize how thin it really was until my fiance wore it (now husband) I was holding his arm and I noticed just how thin it was and I got worried about how cold he might be, completely forgetting the fact that I had just been wearing it. If you do get a peacoat make sure that it has a liner in it, otherwise you will find yourself like I did in a rather thin wool coat shivering.