What is the Gospel according to the LDS?

curtishouse

As some of you know, I recently joined the forum and I attend a Baptist church but I am also looking into the LDS faith and trying to learn as much as possible.

Since this is the LDS Gospel discussion subforum, I was just wondering what the LDS church considers the Gospel. It will be interesting to see how different (or similar) it is to my particular sect of Christianity. Thanks!

~Curtis

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Of course, this is a densely packed synopsis of the gospel. A complete unpacking and explanation would fill volumes, perhaps the whole earth.

The gospel boiled down is....Faith, Repentance, Baptism for the remission of sins, and recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost. After this rebirth, it would encompass enduring to the end in obedience.

If you flesh it out more than that, it would encompass subjects like the nature of God, the nature of man, the purpose of life, plan of salvation, where did we come from?, where are we going?, sin, agency, the fall of adam, obedience, mercy, justice, grace, Atonement, and then lots and lots about how we can become like God and what those attributes look like and how they are obtained.

At the churches, website LDS.org, you can look up stuff to answer your questions. The Gospel Essentials manual is the book the church uses to teach the most basic adult Sunday School class. It covers basically all of this stuff in easy bite sized lessons. You might want to at least look over the contents page. It will also list a number of scriptures that correspond to each subject and perhaps make finding them easier than finding them on you own.

Gospel Principles

Not only do I refer to John 3:16, but I always include verse 17 as well. Within these two verses of Scripture can be found a summation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. These two verses teach us about the birth, death, and resurrection of our Lord and Savior.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

That Jesus Christ lived, died for our sins, and was resurrected. That is the main tenet of our church. Another important part of the gospel is the priesthood authority to act in God's name for the saving of his children here upon the earth, particularly the sealing of families together throughout the eternities. Another important factor is continuing revelation, thru living prophets on the earth today, that reveal God's will to his children as situations warrant.

I'm sure there is more, and while we share the belief in Christ with other Christian churches, the PH authority (particularly sealing) and continuing revelation set us apart from them.

There is a wonderful book that speaks to this called "Believing Christ - the Parable of the Bicycle and Other Good News" by Stephen Robinson

Amazon.com: Believing Christ the Parable of the Bicycle and Other Good News (9780875796345): Stephen E. Robinson: Books

If you want just one book that defines our belief in and about Jesus and what His Gospel is all about, IMO this is it.

I have thought of us having two separate Gospels. The first is the message of Jesus, which corresponds to the normative definition found in dictionaries.

The other is that uttered in many at LDS Testimony meetings in which members express their thankfulness for the Gospel in their lives. Through repeated hearings and a few post-testimony questions, I have determined that they are talking about the Gospel meaning the entirety of the Mormon experience.

I have thought of us having two separate Gospels. The first is the message of Jesus, which corresponds to the normative definition found in dictionaries.

The other is that uttered in many at LDS Testimony meetings in which members express their thankfulness for the Gospel in their lives. Through repeated hearings and a few post-testimony questions, I have determined that they are talking about the Gospel meaning the entirety of the Mormon experience.

Can the gospel be separated from its effect in people's lives? Ought it to be? Are not the ordinances of salvation, the brotherhood of the Saints, and a peaceful, loving family life all part of what it is to "know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent"?

Can the gospel be separated from its effect in people's lives? Ought it to be? Are not the ordinances of salvation, the brotherhood of the Saints, and a peaceful, loving family life all part of what it is to "know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent"?

Is there a Theologian in the house?

;)

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

I think this is the biggest thing for me to grasp and it is difficult being a "mainstream Christian" for lack of a better term and thinking that Joseph Smith was truly visited by Jesus Christ and God here in America...I always felt like there wasn't a complete connection with Christianity as it all happened in the Middle East and here I am wayyy over here in America and then I learn about this but still it's hard to believe. I'm keeping an open mind about this all and praying about it though. :)

Very good. If your mind truly is open, the answer will come.

Are you reading the Book of Mormon and sincerely pondering and praying about whether it is true?

I've read some of the BOM online as well as reading through the Book of Moses in the Pearl of Great Price...I've definitely been praying about this all and also been talking to an online missionary over at mormon.org.

Moses chpt 1:39 "Behold this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

In those few words the father puts forth his reason for the creation of this earth and indeed all things. It is the reason behind the atonement and the purpose of this mortal life, It is infact the answer to life the univers and every thing.

Christ and him crusified to answer the demands of justice for all man kind and for the justificaton of all of the Fathers creations