US lds in China can be likened to the people of the Book of Mormon!?

NJWindow

My son always said when he was small taht he wanted to go to China on a mision. So now ther is 2 years time to open China for mision... :D Well later he changed it to going to Japan. I believe because of the animees.

2 of my grandchildren have a Chinese great grandfather. Beutiful kids!

Our misionaries are teaching a Chinese lady. She is very afraid to get babtized and attend church in China, she thinks the members of her congrigation might be very nasty to her if she does. She si visiting her daughter here in Nowray.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but when we talk of China we must remember that the government and those who work for it are not the real Chinese people.

I have a lady friend in China and we have talked a lot about differences here and in China. I hope one day to be able to go there and spend time with my friend. Her family is excited about meeting me. In China family and face are very important. One can dishonor a Chinese person very easily if you are unaware of the customs and life style.

Many Chinese live in homes/apartments that have no heat so in the winter it is very cold inside as well as outside.

If you are in a Chinese hospital family brings food in to you the hospital doesn't feed you.

Also yes there is a church presence in Hong Kong and it is not really part of China. Think I am wrong you need a separate visa to go to China and then to Hong Kong.

My friend and I can not speak about the church as it could get her imprisoned or killed. Yep very different place and by the way one day there will be a number of missions in China. In the city where my friend lives there is somewhere between 34-39 million people in just one city. She lives in the old Capital of China and it is also where the flying tigers museum is, something I want to see very much as that was when China and the US were friends. It was moved to her city when Mao decided it needed to go and the people decided it was a national treasure and so they moved it to her city.

As to learning Chinese, yes it is a hard language but you know if the Lord feels you need to know it and understand the people it will happen. My friend is going to teach me Chinese and wants to see how people react when they realize I understand what they are saying.

Three times in my life I have got the impression I should get to know the Chinese people better and now I am and just wonder why it is so important for me to know, understand and yes enjoy the Chinese people.

Just a tid bit do you realize that China is running out of water, not just to drink but water period. People there are drinking muddy water, dirty water and bacteria filled water because that is all there is for them to drink. Here in the US our time of good clean and abundant water is also coming to an end. Think I am wrong look at how many western states are in a year round drought situation anymore. California is worried that they don't have enough water for this summer. In my own state we think we may have enough water but only when we get to fall will it be really known if we did or not.

• 11 months later...

How does one go about getting jobs teaching English in places like Tailand and China? I have heard you do not need to have a college education to do it. My sister is wanting to go someplace just to get away from things and work. She wants exotic so maybe this is a good idea?

I know this is old, but for anyone who is curious. I don't know the specifics, but in Thailand around 2009-2010ish and if I remember right, you can make about 90,000 baht or 3,000 dollars for a year. It might even be more than that I just can't remember for sure. Doesn't seem like a lot, but one dollar is a full meal per person. If you get foreign food then it will be more expensive. You wouldn't be living somewhere big, but it is definitly livable and enjoyable. Best food in the world, nicest people in the world, simple lifestyle, and cheap cost of living.

To my recollection, you do not need a college degree. They value your ability to speak english, as a native, as sufficient qualification. I would think that all you would need to do is look online for schools that need a teacher. I would recommend Nong Khai. Best place in the world. The aboslutely most relaxed, peaceful, fun, quiet town. It is on the river of Laos. I would live there for sure! There is a university not too far away, and I'm not sure if you need a degree for that.

The other issue though is tickets over are anywhere from 1,200-2,000(upwards) roundtrip per person.

When I was 19 years old (I think), my stake was part of a tri-regional conference that Elder Dallin H. Oaks attended. My Institute teacher was my stake president's husband, so she had the opportunity to enjoy smaller group settings with Elder Oaks during the few days that he was in town. Over a dinner conversation one evening, one person asked about the Church and missionary work in Hindi nations and China -- places that we don't (or didn't) have a presence yet, and who don't already have a basic foundational belief in a Christian God. Elder Oaks answered the person (I don't know who it was that asked) that it was his opinion that when those nations opened up to the LDS Church and we had the opportunity to proselyte there, that they would accept the Gospel much like the people of the kingdom of Lamoni's father in the Book of Mormon: en masse.

Obviously this was a private conversation, and not a doctrinal setting or statement, and Elder Oaks specifically added a qualifier of it being his opinion, but I still think it's interesting to think about.

My daughter has a friend in her preschool class whose parents are Chinese. The mom watches my baby when it's my turn to parent-help at the school. Last week, she watched my daughter while she herself was hosting a previously-planned get-together at her house, and invited me over for lunch after school. It was a group of friends of hers -- all Chinese, and their babies as well. Some of them spoke English, but not all. After lunch, they gathered in the living room and began to sing hymns in Chinese. They offered me one of their hymnals. Some of the hymns had English words printed, but not all. Even though I couldn't understand the words, I felt the Spirit. As I was getting ready to leave (I wanted to stay longer, but it was naptime), they were opening up their Bibles, also in Chinese, to read from Luke 3. One of the women was the wife of their pastor. I had the opportunity to speak with them for awhile and ask questions. They were all Christian women, and though it was still hard to be an openly practicing Christian in China, they said it was better than it used to be. It was really an interesting experience for me to sit with these women, all from the other side of the world, whose language I didn't understand, and about whose lives I was entirely unaware, but still feel sisterhood and the Spirit, both very strongly.