does this disqualify from serving a mission?

glow_inthe_dark_girl

ok, the question is if having problems with the LofC may keep someone from going on a mission? what time is supposed to pass after the last time someone commited this sin? I have heard that 1 year but then I heard that breaking the LofC disqualifies for a full time mission, no matter what time passes after the last time it happened. I'm confused, and no local priesthood leader knows the answer , they just say to submit the papers and then wait for the mission president interview, but then it might be losing time if the applications is turned down at the end.

Oh and if I need to take some meds for allergies everyday and I have an immunization treatment that is supposed to take 2 years, will this disqualify for the mission? or are missionaries allowed to buy medicines and get the shots?

I'm asking because in three months I would b sending the papers , after doing all the medical stuff, but I dont want to do it and then be told that I can´t

Well, don't you have to have the interviews prior to sending in your papers? I would think the SP could help a person know if they qualify for a mission no matter what the issues are.

And I know lots of people who have served a mission who need medical attention. If they are from the US, I think often they are called within the US so they can get the medical attention they need.

Sometimes the medical issues are too severe for missionary service. But I think the church tries to help people serve in some capacity rather than not at all even if it means local service missions etc.

ok, the question is if having problems with the LofC may keep someone from going on a mission? what time is supposed to pass after the last time someone commited this sin? I have heard that 1 year but then I heard that breaking the LofC disqualifies for a full time mission, no matter what time passes after the last time it happened. I'm confused, and no local priesthood leader knows the answer , they just say to submit the papers and then wait for the mission president interview, but then it might be losing time if the applications is turned down at the end.

I was interviewed and got the worthiness okay prior to filling out any paperwork, not after. I'm not overly familiar with districts (that's the only way I can think of a Mission President being involved in the front end of the process) but I wouldn't have figured the process to be to dissimilar besides the title of the ones doing interviews.

Oh and if I need to take some meds for allergies everyday and I have an immunization treatment that is supposed to take 2 years, will this disqualify for the mission? or are missionaries allowed to buy medicines and get the shots?

Depends how extreme things are, but you can have required medications and go on a mission though it may limit where they can send you. You will need to be able to pay for preexisting conditions though. I knew missionaries with diabetes, they went just fine.

I'm asking because in three months I would b sending the papers , after doing all the medical stuff, but I dont want to do it and then be told that I can´t

Not very helpful but I don't know what to tell you, I was cleared morally before I was cleared medically.

1) You don't interview with the mission president until you actually get to the field.

2) Your bishop or stake president should be able to answer your questions.

3) Whether or not you can go would depend on the extent of your Law of Chastity sins, how long you continued them, and whether or not that repentence process is complete. None of us can answer the question you have -- you should talk to your bishop.

4) Daily allergy meds shouldn't be a problem in the mission field, but a two-year-long treatment program might be an issue. Again, talk to your bishop.

Ok, thanks everyone

I had an interview with the branch president and he says he thinks I can go, We don't have a stake here, so the next authority is the mission president, he only comes here for district conference (every 6 months) so the next interview will be with him, but this is done when I get all the medical stuff and everything else ready, I know because my brother has been a missionary for 3 months and his interview with the mission president was only till he finish everything else, even got the permission from the university to go for 2 years. It will be hard to do this and then find out if I can or can't go ..

Is there a way I can know If i can still go ?

You should have all the answers right there with your Branch President. He has the handbook with the guidlines. The handbook will spell out just what COULD be a timeline. If your Branc President finds you worthy and he submits your paperwork, you will be interviewed by the Mission President. Rarely does it get sent back and when it is it is normally because something is missing, not because one finds you worthy and another says your not.

Allergies and medication, I know of two young men that are serving here in the states only because should they need medical attention they would recieve better care here. The church would never call you to serve in an area that MAY cause you physical difficulties.

Well The handbook does have some guide lines for bishops and branch presidents, But to answer your question about breaking the the law of Chasity, it depends on circumstances ( Like the number of times or multi partners or children born) you really need to council with branch presidents and your misson president because belated confessions will have you packing your bags for home for once your in the mission field. The application for missionary service has a very detailed medical question air I was surprised by it. I helped fill it out with my son who's in the MTC right now. The brethren probable won't send to a mission that you can't get your meds or get to a Doc easily

How difficult would it be to meet the mission president where the mission home is located rather than waiting for him to come to you?

It is kind of difficult, the mission offices are in this city it's 4 hours from where I live, and without an appointment the trip will be in vain. I had talked to the president once but it was some months before and he told me some advice, but he said he was looking forward for a next interview..

Ok.. I think I should talk to the BP again, even though he says he doesn't have much experience on this...

Plus he encourages me to marry my bf instead of going to a mission, he says it's my choice. but I want my boyfriend to go as well, I don't want to get married yet, the mission president told me some months ago that I will be blessesd in this life and the next if I could serve on a mission and my future husband as well.

It is kind of difficult, the mission offices are in this city it's 4 hours from where I live, and without an appointment the trip will be in vain. I had talked to the president once but it was some months before and he told me some advice, but he said he was looking forward for a next interview..

Hahah. I had so much trouble deciphering what you were having problems with. I was thinking:

"LofC? Lord of Change? Maybe she misspelled and means Lost or Confused? She has a problem with Losing of Creativity? Loss of Caring?"

It was like 15 minutes before I realized LofC meant law of chastity. I totally suck!

But on to your question: Yes, Law of Chastity mess ups may prevent you from going on a mission, depending on the severity and the person interviewing you. I wish you luck in overcoming it!

Ok.. I think I should talk to the BP again, even though he says he doesn't have much experience on this...

Plus he encourages me to marry my bf instead of going to a mission, he says it's my choice. but I want my boyfriend to go as well, I don't want to get married yet, the mission president told me some months ago that I will be blessesd in this life and the next if I could serve on a mission and my future husband as well.

You ought to be careful here. The raising the bar (which happened during time I was Bishop) changed a lot of things relating to missions. If it hasn't been more than a full year since the last, ah, episode? especially with a boyfriend, then they should make you wait until you can show that you are completely over it. BP may not know well but the MP most likely will. And they need to go into the details as well to be sure you are completely repented and emotionally stable too. It's not easy if there was a repeated pattern of sins ie not just a one off.

But some things haven't changed like having had a baby or ever submitted to an elective abortion disqualifies a person from ever serving. Today having tatoos makes it harder to get through although not impossible.

The medical issues only influence where they send you as long as you are generally fit to do it.

But the church policy is that sisters can serve as long as there isn't a serious marriage proposal in place. This is what the BP I guess is referring to. But it is a choice you need to make, but you do need to be worthy, and completely worthy not just promising to be soon or something. Remember that they will go by what the BP and MP write on the application so they need to be convinced first.

As Charlyc said since the "bar was raised" If someone broke the law of chastity once then after a time of serious repentance they may be allowed to go. If there is a repeated pattern of breaking the law of chastity, with one person of several most likely a person will not be sent on a mission. It all depends on local authorities until it gets to Salt Lake City.

Ben Raines

Hidden

If someone broke the law of chastity once then after a time of serious repentance they may be allowed to go. If there is a repeated pattern of breaking the law of chastity, with one person of several most likely a person will not be sent on a mission. It all depends on local authorities until it gets to Salt Lake City

Yes, personally believe you should think about marriage since you have already behaved as a married couple. Some locals though will insists you try to send the paperwork anyway but then, it can get awkward when you talk about Law of Chastity with the women who will trust you enough to ask. You will have to testify of the chance of repentance but if you haven't repented fully and lived a few years without breaking the law, well then its hard to get the message across.

Its better if you both live a full life together and look forward to serving together as retirees.

Yes, personally believe you should think about marriage since you have already behaved as a married couple. Some locals though will insists you try to send the paperwork anyway but then, it can get awkward when you talk about Law of Chastity with the women who will trust you enough to ask. You will have to testify of the chance of repentance but if you haven't repented fully and lived a few years without breaking the law, well then its hard to get the message across.

Its better if you both live a full life together and look forward to serving together as retirees.

How would this encourage anyone to repent if the attitude is "just go ahead and get married and forget the mission because, chances are, you won't make it." IMHO, this "raising the bar" would only seem to discourage people rather than encourage them to want to repent if blessings such as going on a mission are going to be withheld from them.

How would this encourage anyone to repent if the attitude is "just go ahead and get married and forget the mission because, chances are, you won't make it." IMHO, this "raising the bar" would only seem to discourage people rather than encourage them to want to repent if blessings such as going on a mission are going to be withheld from them.

If somebody isn't going to repent because doing such doesn't open up a pathway to a mission they have bigger problems than not serving a mission.

What makes you qualified to judge her? And without specifics of the circumstances none the less! If find so much of your commentary and judgments so extremely distasteful.

Glow in the dark - some of the best missionaries I met were those who had lived enough life to understand what true repentance was. Those that chose to right themselves and follow the right path - not those that happened to just live the right patch by matter of habit without the pain and mistakes that cause them to make a choice. Ignore Charlyc's ignorant remark, and do what you, and your local leaders feel is right. Pray and fast about it, see what Heavenly Father thinks is right for you. Only He can see what is the best path for you. You and your local leaders need to find out what His will is.

To all posters in this thread. Please express your opinion without attacking another poster in the thread. Share your opinion but leave the remarks regarding other posters off.

I have sat where Charlyc has sat. The bar has been raised. Anyone is welcome to read the talk that was given regard raising the bar. A mission is not for everyone and that will be decided by the applicant, their local leaders, leaders in SLC and The Lord. The OP asked and we have responded with real world situations. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS.

I believe this is the talk where the bar was raised. In this same session of conference President Hinkley also addressed it. His is title To the Men of the Priesthood.

The Greatest Generation of Missionaries

Ben Raines

What makes you qualified to judge her? And without specifics of the circumstances none the less! If find so much of your commentary and judgments so extremely distasteful.

Glow in the dark - some of the best missionaries I met were those who had lived enough life to understand what true repentance was. Those that chose to right themselves and follow the right path - not those that happened to just live the right patch by matter of habit without the pain and mistakes that cause them to make a choice. Ignore Charlyc's ignorant remark, and do what you, and your local leaders feel is right. Pray and fast about it, see what Heavenly Father thinks is right for you. Only He can see what is the best path for you. You and your local leaders need to find out what His will is.

Well I see you did read my post here.

All the best. :)

Edited by Charlyc