belly button

Stidgeion

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for some members of the church, they still believe in the notion of pre-adamites. The problem with that account, Christ stated otherwise that Adam was the first man. Do we take take the Savior words or honorable men of the earth? There is no amount of evidence that can prove otherwise; even if they keep using apes, monkeys, or something similar remains to gain 'five-seconds' of worldly fame. :)

Now you've really piqued my interest.

1. In what way are begotten bodies NOT created?

2. Do you have even a sliver of a scintilla of a smidgen of verifiable evidence to support your hypothesis?

I think you asked that question backwards, because I didn't say that .... maybe your question is 'In what way are created bodies not begotten?'

The answer to that question we do not know. I am sure there are many possible ways, just like we have the technology/ability to make a new virus that has never before existed by placing DNA sequences into yeast or bacteria. Maybe some day we will know. Adams body was not really Adam until Michael was placed in it.

I think you asked that question backwards, because I didn't say that .... maybe your question is 'In what way are created bodies not begotten?'

The answer to that question we do not know. I am sure there are many possible ways, just like we have the technology/ability to make a new virus that has never before existed by placing DNA sequences into yeast or bacteria. Maybe some day we will know. Adams body was not really Adam until Michael was placed in it.

There is no account in the scriptures of the creation of Adam. In Genesis we are told that G-d created "man". We are also told that man was created in the image and likeness of G-d. I submit to you that we do know how man is created and have seen G-d's method of creation millions of times. I see nothing in the scriptures to indicate that G-d changed his methods or what he does to create anyone differently. I see no reason to even think that G-d is a respector of persons - even in creation.

If anyone believes that they were not created by G-d or that G-d's has changed his methods - I would really like to know where such an idea has come from? Why would anyone think such a thing? Who has told you are anyone else this? I would really like to know because I find no evedence of any such thing anywhere - in scripture or in life.

The Traveler

God doesn't have a bellybutton, because God is a spirit. (John 4:24--"God is SPIRIT, and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.").

I disagree with this. But this would probably make another thread.

Welllll....a bellybutton is part of a physical body. A physical body is a...physical body, which can be seen and touched. A spirit is a spirit, and not a tangible body. No body, no bellybutton. :)

• Why do you think that a spirit is somehow intangible? What do you think spirit is?
  • Why would God being a spirit preclude him from having a body? You and I are spirit, yet we have bodies.

What evidence do we have that the creation story, specifically of Adam and Eve and the story of the Fall is literal? Why couldn't it all be a parable meant to teach us something?

Eve was formed from Adam's rib--is that literal or is it meant to teach us that man and woman are meant to walk side-by-side. Man is not above woman, nor vise versa.

What scripture states that Adam and Eve were never infants? As Latter-day Saints, we believe in a Heavenly Mother. Does anyone believe that she has no part in the Creation? Why would we need a HM if she doesn't do anything? If HF can create without any help, why bother creating two genders? Why promise eternal increase to those who reach the highest degree of celestial glory? Do we assume that this eternal increase refers to creating life the same way my son forms people out of PlayDoh?

There is no account in the scriptures of the creation of Adam. In Genesis we are told that G-d created "man". We are also told that man was created in the image and likeness of G-d. I submit to you that we do know how man is created and have seen G-d's method of creation millions of times. I see nothing in the scriptures to indicate that G-d changed his methods or what he does to create anyone differently. I see no reason to even think that G-d is a respector of persons - even in creation.

If anyone believes that they were not created by G-d or that G-d's has changed his methods - I would really like to know where such an idea has come from? Why would anyone think such a thing? Who has told you are anyone else this? I would really like to know because I find no evedence of any such thing anywhere - in scripture or in life.

The Traveler

How have we seen God's creation "millions of times"? God created Adam and Eve in the scriptures, I see no where else that he created anyone else, with maybe the exception of Jesus, if you want to include that. Our bodies are as result of the fall. And yes technically God created everything in this world as it is now but only in the sense that He created the original and then changes were made to the original to allow for reproduction and so we are linked to the original but that is not how God created it. Our bodies are the 'messed up' version of his original creation. Just like every living thing in this world went through a change from the original creation. Or do you think God has a hand in deleting, adding and inverting certain genes of the genome with every zygote formed? The method we have of reproduction is not necessarily the method God has to make an immortal body. We don't know how He does it, other than forming it from the dust of this earth in His image. And I would say the method Eve was created, by the scripture account, is different than the way Adam was created. Wouldn't you?

God hasn't changed his methods, because our reproduction methods are not his. His methods are His. Our reproduction/creation method is not His. We don't know how to do what He does, create a perfect immortal body. We also don't know how to make an immortal body mortal via a fall like Adam and Eve's fall.

God doesn't have a bellybutton, because God is a spirit. (John 4:24--"God is SPIRIT, and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.").

I see - then to follow your logic - Jesus is not G-d and should not be worshiped because he had a bellybutton - which also excludes him from being perfect and one with G-d.

The Traveler

Vort,

What do I think spirit is? It's distinct from the body in which it resides--for instance, my grandfather passed away last Tuesday at the age of 93. His burial will be next week. His body is awaiting burial, but his spirit went to be with the Lord the moment he took his last breath. His body, the shell that housed his spirit is empty now.

God is spirit. The Word of God tells us so in the book of John and elsewhere. He became flesh in the person of Jesus Christ, but God Himself is Spirit. The actual definition, I suppose would be: the essential nature of a person, the part of a human associated with mind, will and feelings; the animating force within a living being. God is spirit. He is everywhere-present; this would be hard to do if he had a body. As a spirit--and as God of the universe, He is in all places at all times!

What do YOU think spirit is? Does your spirit have a bellybutton, or is your bellybutton located somewhere in the region of your stomach on your PHYSICAL body?

Traveler,

You didn't "follow my logic", because as I have mentioned before in other posts on other threads, I believe that Jesus is God IN THE FLESH. Yes, I'm sure Jesus did have a bellybutton, since he was born of a woman, born with flesh, bones, blood pumping through His veins.

I agree with you on one point, though; Jesus Christ isn't to be worshipped BECAUSE HE HAS A BELLYBUTTON. Everyone I know has bellybuttons (except this one model I saw on the internet who had none), and having a bellybutton is not grounds for worship. I worship GOD alone. Jesus is to be worshipped because He is GOD.

How does having a bellybutton exclude Jesus from being perfect? I am surely NOT following your logic.

How have we seen God's creation "millions of times"? God created Adam and Eve in the scriptures, I see no where else that he created anyone else, with maybe the exception of Jesus, if you want to include that. Our bodies are as result of the fall. And yes technically God created everything in this world as it is now but only in the sense that He created the original and then changes were made to the original to allow for reproduction and so we are linked to the original but that is not how God created it. Our bodies are the 'messed up' version of his original creation. Just like every living thing in this world went through a change from the original creation. Or do you think God has a hand in deleting, adding and inverting certain genes of the genome with every zygote formed? The method we have of reproduction is not necessarily the method God has to make an immortal body. We don't know how He does it, other than forming it from the dust of this earth in His image. And I would say the method Eve was created, by the scripture account, is different than the way Adam was created. Wouldn't you?

God hasn't changed his methods, because our reproduction methods are not his. His methods are His. Our reproduction/creation method is not His. We don't know how to do what He does, create a perfect immortal body. We also don't know how to make an immortal body mortal via a fall like Adam and Eve's fall.

Genesis 1:26-27 speaks specifically to the creation of Man - I see no reference to Adam. Please provide the scripture that speaks to the creation of Adam - I cannot find it. And just so I am clear - you believe that G-d did not create you are anyone else you know?

And so I am clear - I believe G-d created all things - including you and we are quite clear on how you were created.

The Traveler

Traveler,

You didn't "follow my logic", because as I have mentioned before in other posts on other threads, I believe that Jesus is God IN THE FLESH. Yes, I'm sure Jesus did have a bellybutton, since he was born of a woman, born with flesh, bones, blood pumping through His veins.

I agree with you on one point, though; Jesus Christ isn't to be worshipped BECAUSE HE HAS A BELLYBUTTON. Everyone I know has bellybuttons (except this one model I saw on the internet who had none), and having a bellybutton is not grounds for worship. I worship GOD alone. Jesus is to be worshipped because He is GOD.

How does having a bellybutton exclude Jesus from being perfect? I am surely NOT following your logic.

I do not understand your logic. If G-d is spirit there cannot be G-d in flesh - that is according to the scripture you previously quoted with the understand you imply. Where do you get Jesus is G-d "IN THE FLESH". Is this something in scripture or something you have made up? Many times I try to have discussions with some people of some religions and they seem to change what they mean in the middle of discussions and add new terms like it is scripture when it is not.

I am quite sure that Jesus was as flesh as any man. Therefor, to follow your logic - if Jesus can be flesh and flesh can be G-d then man can also be G-d in the exact same manner.

The Traveler