RE: Why should you get into God's Kingdom?

prisonchaplain

Robert Millet, Dean of Religious Studies at BYU (current?), was asked by an evangelical minister just what he would say when Heavenly Father asked him why he should be allowed in to the Celestial Kingdom. He said the question caught him as truly profound. He could answer that he was a priesthood holder, had served a mission, had kept his covenants and performed ordinances in the Temple, and, of course, was current on his tithe. Yet, somehow such an answer didn't feel right to him. He figured Heavenly Father knew his resume.

Finally, he answered, "Because of the righteous and meritorious works and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ." He want on to say that the Book of Mormon is full of the word "merit." Yet, not once does it refer to the individual merit of a Saint.

Does anyone have a different answer than Millet gave?

Robert Millet, Dean of Religious Studies at BYU (current?), was asked by an evangelical minister just what he would say when Heavenly Father asked him why he should be allowed in to the Celestial Kingdom.

What other answer is possible? "I deserve to live in the celestial kingdom because I am meritorious"?

The only possible answer is, "I deserve to live in the celestial kingdom because I have been invited by one who has authority to invite me." I can see no other possible answer. Certainly, the idea that you have earned exaltation because you served a mission and paid your tithing is an absurd conceit.

Interesting. I was just asked this a couple of days ago by someone through private email. Here's the question and my response:

You asked "What would you say to God if He asked you "why should I let you into my Heaven?"" I am not sure I will have to answer anything--Jesus Christ, my Advocate with the Father will answer for me--because I (Christ) have suffered for her to allow her to do so. Accept My sacrifice and allow her in."

-- For those on a strict point scale, it is rumored that points are weighted by categories. In the same rumor, it was said that hope, faith and love were among the top three. Anyone have any guess as to the first? --

My understanding is that Paul was contrasting faith, hope, and charity (love), three virtues that were to remain, with prophecy, tongues, and knowledge (i.e. testimony), three virtues that were to be taken. Note in 1 Cor 13 how Paul explicitly contrasts prophecy, tongues, and gnosis (translated knowledge, but according to Nibley more accurately rendered testimony) as departing virtues ("vanish away") with faith, hope, and charity as abiding virtues, i.e. those that would remain.

I believe that Paul's first epistle to Corinth was written at least in part to prepare the minds of the people for the great apostasy that was to come within the lifetime of some of those then living -- that in fact had already begun in some parts of the Church where the apostles could not regularly minister. 1 Cor 13 is obviously a sermon on the importance of charity as a crowning virtue of Christianity, but the subtext of impending apostasy seems fairly clear.

Vort, the disappearing of the gift of tongues, interpretation, and of prophecy was to take place, "When that which is perfect is come." Fundamentalist anti-pentecostals suggest that the perfect to come was the completion of the Bible. Most others believe it's the return of Christ. Don't know how I could possibly think the perfect coming would be the apostasy???

If I understand what is being said, I agree with prisonchaplain. While I can see those three gifts being unnecessary in a perfect world (i.e. return of Christ), the other three will still be present. But the nature of apostasy demands that at least faith as well be diminished, and likely the rest as well. I say diminished not eliminated because even during the Great Apostasy faith was still present. It just seems to me that it was less apparent and less used. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

Robert Millet, Dean of Religious Studies at BYU (current?), was asked by an evangelical minister just what he would say when Heavenly Father asked him why he should be allowed in to the Celestial Kingdom. He said the question caught him as truly profound. He could answer that he was a priesthood holder, had served a mission, had kept his covenants and performed ordinances in the Temple, and, of course, was current on his tithe. Yet, somehow such an answer didn't feel right to him. He figured Heavenly Father knew his resume.

Finally, he answered, "Because of the righteous and meritorious works and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ." He want on to say that the Book of Mormon is full of the word "merit." Yet, not once does it refer to the individual merit of a Saint.

Not different - but I would add that only those that have realized the covenant whereby Jesus did all his righteous and meritorious works of grace and are willing to become "one" with Christ by that covenant. One can argue that becoming "one" with Christ is the thinking of merit. But I believe that it is necessary for all the hope to live with him in the Kingdom of G-d.

The Traveler

...because I'll be less trouble if they keep me close where they can keep an eye on me.

First of all, I would be humiliated by the question, figuring that if He asked--I wasn't worthy. I understand and agree with all the responses citing Christ and the power of the atonement--but in LDS doctrine, the atonement does not guarantee Celestial glory.

Am I wrong?