Twilight life of Stephenie Meyer, the world's biggest author

Hemidakota

ARTICLE EXCERPT: To date, Meyer, a 35-year-old Mormon who started writing only five years ago, is said to have amassed a fortune of more than £50million.

ARTICLE LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1227754/Twilight-life-Stephenie-Meyer-worlds-biggest-author.html&ct=ga&cd=9UOU_rGX67w&usg=AFQjCNHcW0-RZfW6XMvtcY0l0shI-rDbxg>

Daily Mail

I will admitt I am a Twilight fan. I feel bad that she has been bashed by Stephen King and others. However if it gets some one to open a book and read.....then GREAT!!! Her intended audience was young girls and not adults. It shouldn't be compaired to books for or intended for adults. And if by chance she had made a bundle of money doing something she enjoyed................good for her!!!!!

Meh, I hugely disagree.

Claiming that it's good that kids are reading something sub par, as opposed to nothing at all is a silly argument. King has every right to talk about her terrible writing. The difference between King's work and Myer's work is like the difference between reading "War and Peace" and the back of a cereal box.

Which is saying something, because Stephen King isn't that great either.

The occasional fluff book is okay. But most of the young adults I know are ONLY reading crap like Twilight. Nothing of substance, and nothing challenging or thought provoking. Which is a problem. I have several employees at my store (teenagers) who don't know who Shakespeare is (no, i'm not kidding) but they can quote Twilight verbatim. It's insane. I like Harry Potter, but the problem exists in that series too.

But I won't hate on her for making a crapload of money. So long as she continues her careful marketing, she's got a lot more money coming her way.

I was lucky. I got introduced to a love of reading early on, so I appreciated good, thought-provoking, horizon expanding books as a teen and still do. I've read "fluff" too, yet if all my reading had been limited to that I'd feel a great lack.

I have abstained from reading Twilight because so many people talk about it and the craze surrounding it turned me off. I just think I would rather spend my time reading something more enriching.

Isn't she gonna be on Oprah this next week? Gotta love the Hollywood machine.

I actually started out avoiding twilight just cause everybody was so crazy about it and it turned me off. Then, in a moment of weakness, I got sucked in a read the books. I don't think she is the best author but she got a few things right. It was her first effort. Perhaps she learned a few things about the trade. And I think its good to get people reading no matter what. If anything, we can teach what good writing really is and how to recognize it. Not that I think these books are good for kids under twelve.

In any case, twilight is fun and that's about all I can say. So, I am having fun with it.

Meh, I hugely disagree.

Claiming that it's good that kids are reading something sub par, as opposed to nothing at all is a silly argument. King has every right to talk about her terrible writing. The difference between King's work and Myer's work is like the difference between reading "War and Peace" and the back of a cereal box.

The occasional fluff book is okay. But most of the young adults I know are ONLY reading crap like Twilight. Nothing of substance, and nothing challenging or thought provoking. Which is a problem. I have several employees at my store (teenagers) who don't know who Shakespeare is (no, i'm not kidding) but they can quote Twilight verbatim. It's insane. I like Harry Potter, but the problem exists in that series too.

But I won't hate on her for making a crapload of money. So long as she continues her careful marketing, she's got a lot more money coming her way.

My fourteen year old is learning to be a writer and says the same about Myers work. What was alarming for her, is seeing foul language in her books.

• 5 weeks later...

Meh, I hugely disagree.

I am sorry, but you are saying that Stephen King is a good writer? Have you read Dean Koontz? Because his books are only a million times better than anything King has ever written.

• 2 weeks later...

Edward was the worst character in literature history. He has all the makings of a psychotic lover and I'd bet everything, he could easily turn into an annoying knock off version of Heathcliff, had she chosen Jacob. I have more respect for Heath & Cathy's love than Bella & Edward's.

In saying all of that, I've read all the books and consider them great puff pieces. I'd rate the movies at 2 stars, one for graphics and another for soundtrack, 0 for acting.

I'm pretty sure even Steph KNOWS that her work isn't thought provoking and I'm sure she doesn't care. It's the audience she went for - at least she made all that money honestly good on her!

• 3 weeks later...

I read the first one, and I don't think it was just harmless "fluff"... The overall message that I got was:

1. You can take it to the edge, and be strong enough to resist temptation. It proves you are strong to get into bad sitations. It's OK to walk along the edge of a cliff - so to speak.

2. You can be a total clutz, mean to your friends, mean to your parents, and it's OK - everyone will love and respect you for acting like this.

3. Obsessive/lust/abusive is the best kind of romance.

etc. etc. That's why this series is so popular - it caters to the carnal mind, creates a world where wickedness is happiness, glorifies the sparkling dark side, makes evil good and good evil. You might say I'm over-reacting, making mountains out of mole hills. Tell me, which is more dangerous... A wolf? or a wolf in sheep's clothing written by a fellow member? IMO It would be better to learn how to play golf on a video game than to spend time reading this "fluff" series.

JMO :)

good points :)

Stephen King didn't criticize her for theme/content. He criticized her for technical writing. I really loved the creativity of the Twilight storyline. And I enjoyed Jacob's character. But, man, it was terrible to wade through the writing. Especially Breaking Dawn. It is very obvious when you listen to the book through CD. You can tell the narrator/actor has a hard time modulating the narration to compensate for the writing just to make the story move and not go on a seemingly endless loop (I am close to death... next chapter... I am dying... next chapter... I am going to die... next chapter...)

J.K. Rowling is a highly technical writer. It took me a few chapters to switch to the British mode but after I got used to that, the writing was simply excellent. Rowling could have written about the life of cat fleas and I would still applaud her technique.

Regardless of the writer's skill, I am thankful for Rowling and Meyers for their work and I sure believe they deserve every penny they get.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...