Institute Class

HoosierGuy

I've been in the church for about a year and half now. I'm never been to an institute class and never invited. I was ok with that until I found out that my friend in another state, who is in her 40's, goes to an institute class. The signs I see hanging up at church say it's for collage students, young singles, and young married couples. I'm single and in my 30's for what it’s worth. If I was invited I think I would try to go. It would give me something fun and informative to do on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings.

So what are the rules on Institute on who can and can't go?

That's interesting because I tried to sign up for an institute class and they said they are limited to age 30. They gave me a website to search for other religious classes for those that are above that age.

Even the Church's website say ages 18-30 for institute classes.

Usually from what I have seen some stakes and wards have there own. These are usually open to anybody, no matter the age and are usally at night. Others are part of some University, they have both day and evening classes. You maybe could attend evening, but you probably would feel out of place (unless you look younger then 30). These are the only ones I could see put a age limit on some of the classes.

I would go! Its more then something to do, its to learn about the gospel on a different level.

If my understanding is correct, Institute classes used to be for ages 18-30 only (officially), but the Church recently opened it up to everyone. I'm not 100% certain of that, but I know someone who would be! I'll contact my local CES Director and let you know what he says :)

Jiminy

I know in my area they won't allow anyone older to attend. I've tried and even recently.

I emailed the Second Councilor in the ward. He looked it up in the handbook and said:

"... the Institute class is for current college students (married or single) and non-student, YSA age (18-30) individuals. That is the Church wide policy, not just the Ward policy."

He said it's a common misconception who can attend Institute and it leads to confusion and feelings of unfairness when the program is run as instructed.

Yes, I'm confused. How can some people over 30 attend and others can not?

Hmm, so if go back to college and take a class that would make me a college student again. Would that then make me eligible for Institute?

After going back last year and finishing my degree I have little desire to go back to college. Maybe I could take a cheap online course, maybe at Dust Bowl Arizona Univserity Online.

Hoosier I think it depends where you live. I used to think institute was for YSA up to 30. Howeve, there are several over 30s who go where I live, and I occasionally go and Im married (Im the only married that goes as far as I know).

I dont see anyone in the church having a problem with people wanting to attend a scripture class ;)