Share your Thanks and Blessings

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

In the Overcoming Negative Thinking thread in the Advice section, many people suggested keeping a blessings journal can be uplifting. I thought it might be useful to suggest a thread where we we can all share our blessings. It would be uplifting to read what others say, and what they are thankingful for. I think it could neutralize the constant negativity we hear from the news, and other people.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, time will tell, but I thought I'd list some recent blessings:

1. Attended a Church play called Savior of the World, and felt the Spirit very strongly when Doubting Thomas actually met the Savior. It was touching.

2. My children trust me enough to tell me the important things that go on in their lives.

3. I have a very good friend of 10 years. We haven't physicially seen each other in about 8 years, but he we talk almost weekly by the phone. His friendship is unconditional, and he's supportive of my no matter what challenges or mistakes I have made.

4, My wife is attractive to me after almost 20 years of marriage and is a loyal, good, hardworking person.

5. I live in a nice section of town with a house that I really like.

Blessings:

1. being alive

2. having an eternal companion

3. my entire family!

4. my ward family -- the best ward in the world (ha!)

5. my calling in primary

6. in these days -- my husband having work

7. my animals -- horses and dogs

8. etc.

9. latest blessing -- the other day I found a friend through facebook. We grew up on the same street and he was my best friend when we were kids. We would stay in touch as we went about our separate lives but then we did lose touch. The last time I talked to him was about 8 years ago until I was able to locate him on facebook. I sent him a message and waited and waited and waited and then day before yesterday I got a message from him. I was soooooo excited, but, when I read the message it was from his wife who informed me that he had died unexpectantly this last May. It saddened me so much. On his facebook page his wife and kids had posted lots of pictures and so I got to see his life that I had missed. I'm thankful for that -- I saw how happy he had been and the love he had for his wife, kids and grandkids. But I was most thankful for the gospel in my life that told me exactly where he is now!

Guest mormonmusic

Had an experience last night where I took my kids to the mall. During the course of the evening, I took my young son to the bathroom, and felt like something was wrong. There was a whole group of gang-like looking people who followed us into the bathroom. I carry my wallet in my hand for reasons i won't go into, set it down on the counter to help my son wash his hands. I had other things I was carrying due to my son's medical condition, so it was kind of a confusing situation. Plus I hadn't been out with him since his diagnoses so carrying so many different things, and hadn't yet started carrying it all in a backpack.

To make a long story short, my wallet disappeared while we were in the bathroom.

I told security, and later that evening, I got a call that it had been found in the ladies bathroom trash bin. All the money was gone, but all cards and ID were intact.

I was thankful for this situation because:

a) My daughter commented that I never lost my cool through the whole thing. Another Dad she was out with (a friends, part of a family trip she joined them on) would've gotten mad and out of control.

b) When security called me at home and told me they found the wallet, and that I could come and get it, my daughter said 'I want to come with you". I said "Why?". She replied "Because I want to learn from this experience. I want to see what happens when you recover a wallet". What a mature comment from a 10 year-old!

c) My daughter has a credit card, debit card, bank account (all in my name), and a budget in Quicken, so she understands money and such things -- that evening I felt I was travelling with an adult as we talked about the implications of losing a wallet -- it was a very memorable experience....

I regret losing the $30 or so, but I feel grateful for the impact it had on my daughter, and the fact that I got the key cards and ID back.....

I am frequently humbled in awesome gratitude for the blessings in my life. Statistical probability of being LDS is less than 1 in 500, but I was born into it! I get to live in the last days! I have my health! I have my talents/abilities. I have a comfortable life in which the Lord prospers me. I have a wonderful wife, beautiful children. I'll return to The Holy Land for the 4th time in my short 31 years life on Friday. I live in a great area, surrounded by great people. I come from goodly parents who blessed me with 6 wonderful siblings.

I could go on and on.

Then sings my soul, my Savior, God, to thee: How great thou art! How great thou art!

Guest mormonmusic

Today I'm thankful for a music student I've started teaching. She's in her 50's and wants to learn to play an instrument. She loves to learn, and I love to share what I know about teaching. She loves the same kind of music I do, so it's fun to teach her, plus I get paid!

I'm also thankful that my 10 year old daughter has decided to clean up the house today.....so that decorating the house for Christmas will be more pleasant. I'm lucky to have a daughter with such as good heart....