Modesty

groovygirl92

I know what the strength of youth says about it. Is there such thing as being too modest? I was wearing this shirt that wasn't immodest by any means, but it was lower than what I usually wear. This girl that was is in my ward, jokingly made fun of me when I held my shirt to my chest as I bent over. I know she was joking, but am I being too modest? Don't most LDS guys want girls that are modest?

Most good lds guys want girls that are modest. However, you're not really at an age where most guys are spiritually developed enough to understand why they want a girl who is modest.

Modesty is a sign of respect for yourself and the people around you. Those most in tune with what the church teaches often are more modest than those around them.

It honestly sounds like you probably have just developed your sense of self and understanding of the gospel more quickly than those around you. Of course, you've probably already sensed that, even if you're too modest to admit it. ;) Don't worry: It does get better. There will be someone who understands what a wonderful catch you are. It just may take a bit.

It was a girl making fun of her. I think that what she did, hold her shirt, is an excellent way of being modest and would guess, only can guess, that the other girl was trying to cover up her own immodesty. She must not feel a need to hold her blouse as you did.

Guys do not need to be tempted to looking down your blouse.

Ben Raines

I know what the strength of youth says about it. Is there such thing as being too modest? I was wearing this shirt that wasn't immodest by any means, but it was lower than what I usually wear. This girl that was is in my ward, jokingly made fun of me when I held my shirt to my chest as I bent over. I know she was joking, but am I being too modest? Don't most LDS guys want girls that are modest?

I think that the good ones do! I like FunkyTown's and Ben Raines's answers too!

Edited by LDSgirl

You are very young and likely do not understand this as of yet. But the difference between girls and women are: certainty and strength. Certainty which is clarity in discernment, the ability to definitely know right from wrong without looking for feedback or confirmation. Courage to make decision based on truthful principles regardless of how difficult they are and hold steadfast to that standard.

Now that you DO know, worry less about what others say and do and smile quietly at their frailty, while hoping that some day they will find the way and truth that you already know. You knew you were doing the right thing, you felt it and acted accordingly. As for the other girls, well, grandma just to say: "nobody is stupid on purpose. Some folks just don't know any better for the time being..."

What you did is just common sense to me. When I wear skirts I cross my legs or keep my knees together when I sit down. Just seems like the proper thing to do to avoid certain attention and a no-brainer. Some people just don't present themselves well, modest or not.

I agree.Nothing wrong with it.It's not like you have to dress like an eskimo,but you should just preserve your dignity.If others don't want to do the same it's their problem.I also do things like that out of habit.

I only dressed like an eskimo once!

And yes I haven't taken off that clothing for the past twelve years, but it still only counts as once!