War of the Worlds

Moksha

"No one involved Whittingham's family in any way..." (from your link)

Multiple newspapers, including the Church owned newspapers reported multiple accounts that the coaches wife was involved and suffered a split lip and pictures show a BYU fan latching onto her arm. I guess it depends on who you choose to believe.

Interestingly enough that if she was involved how come she never filed a complaint or has talked more of it?

"Jamie Whittingham did not file a complaint with BYU Police and a U. spokeswoman said Kyle Whittingham would not comment on the matter." from the article Deseret News | 2 citations issued at BYU-University of Utah football game

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also interestingly enough this is not the first time a QB from the rivalry said they hated the other school. Alex Smith

"I'm much more into it this year," Smith says. "I really hate them. Playing in the game helped me understand. They are the most arrogant people. It's the whole church and state thing. They're the 'good kids'. We're the 'bad kids.' I didn't feel it in my gut last year like I do now." Oh the irony!

Smith pays the price for knowledge - College Football - ESPN

Interestingly enough that if she was involved how come she never filed a complaint or has talked more of it?

"Jamie Whittingham did not file a complaint with BYU Police and a U. spokeswoman said Kyle Whittingham would not comment on the matter." from the article Deseret News | 2 citations issued at BYU-University of Utah football game

Good catch. Whittingham and company have the good sense not to whine like babies.

Whittingham and company have the good sense not to whine like babies.

Even so, there is a major riff that needs healing in this rivalry. If the University of Utah and all fans and alumni are hated at BYU and the Utes regard BYU as self-righteous and arrogant, then very big healing is should be sought.

Also interestingly enough this is not the first time a QB from the rivalry said they hated the other school. Alex Smith

"I'm much more into it this year," Smith says. "I really hate them. Playing in the game helped me understand. They are the most arrogant people. It's the whole church and state thing. They're the 'good kids'. We're the 'bad kids.' I didn't feel it in my gut last year like I do now." Oh the irony!

Smith pays the price for knowledge - College Football - ESPN

... another good catch. Although rude, turns out that Smith was prophetic.

Even so, there is a major riff that needs healing in this rivalry. If the University of Utah and all fans and alumni are hated at BYU and the Utes regard BYU as self-righteous and arrogant, then very big healing is should be sought.

Why?

What's the real harm? Sure it's unpleasant to have drunk dolts be drunk dolts when the family is around but it's a college rivalry. In the bigger scheme of things - so what. Being a huge BYU fan and equally enthusiastic Utah supporter, what I see making this rivalry particularly acrimonious is BYU's (some portion of BYU) hypocritical self-righteousness. People hate that kind of sanctimonious arrogance. Sure Utah (some portion of Utah) is every bit as bad in other ways but that kind of BYU arrogance takes the whole thing to an exaggerated level in a way that wouldn't otherwise exist. Doesn't excuse anything, just helps explain it.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

It's the whole church and state thing.

Let's see: BYU is the church school and UofU is the state school.

You have to admit, this Smith guy from BYU really knows his First Amendment.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba
Edited to add "Smith. . . ."