How would we pay for Universal Health Care (open question)?

Maxel

HEP, I know you're being sarcastic, but I don't understand why you think slashing taxes on the rich will in essence make the poor pay taxes. They already pay taxes--sales tax, taxes on junk food, taxes on cig/liquor, taxes on gas, etc.

We all know the problem with our healthcare system--too much waste and government spending and inefficiency within the systems we currently have. The government has admitted they know that there is billions of dollars lost due to fraud within the system. Then clean it up!

Actually there are very rich men who are tax exempt since the great depression. They were exempt from the government like the Rockefellers and other wealthy men. They did it through their companies, look it up it's right there! For evil reasons as well!

Trulykiwi, do you work in a U.S. law office where one of the areas of emphasis is estate planning?

I do. There are certainly some legal tax sheltering and/or deferring strategies out there; but there are only so many tricks attorneys and accountants have up their sleeves and wealthy Americans still wind up paying taxes just like everyone else. (More, in fact. Far more.)

There are a few things I believe would help:

1. Institute a negative income tax; so people can make decisions concerning their health care and how to finance it. Allow people to be responsible.

2. Install tax incentives to be healthy

3. Give tax deductions for health care cost above 5% of a family’s income.

4. Create a class of health care professionals between doctors and nurses.

5. Downgrade unhealthy foods from the food category.

6. Have a truth in taxation label on products. So consumers know whenever they are paying taxes on consumer items to the government. Do away with hidden taxes.

A few thoughts. There are two things I think are necessary to keep costs and services under control. Make sure people know what the costs are and that they are expected to contribute towards payment.

The Traveler

If this idea catches on, I suspect we will see it marketed on late night TV.

You know, I can't remember a late night commercial, about raising alpaca's, in a very long time. Maybe there is something to your theory.

Who wouldn't want there own unicorn farm? Or is it a ranch? I can't decide, I'm just so excited about Unicorns(sarcasm).

1. Institute a negative income tax; so people can make decisions concerning their health care and how to finance it. Allow people to be responsible.

Okay, Stupid Question: I assume you mean in regards to healthcare? So instead of taxing everyone $x to pay for a new system (or what have you), credit them $x so they can go out and spend it on healthcare services of their choice?

5. Downgrade unhealthy foods from the food category.

Are you talking about not letting people use Food Stamps to buy Snickers (kinda like how WIC lets you buy Cheerios but not Captain Crunch?). Or how in some places sales taxes don't apply to some foods? So candy gets taxes but your milk and eggs don't?

If you aren't talking about something like that I'm afraid you've got me scratching my head. :)

Edited by Dravin

If you aren't talking about something like that I'm afraid you've got me scratching my head. :)

I thought when Traveler said, "Downgrade unhealthy foods from the food category", I though he was talking about shifting them from an organic to inorganic status on an FDA list. I would like add liver and black licorice to an inorganic status as well.

WestViews Opinions from newspapers in Idaho and the West commenting on Western issues | Opinion | Idaho Statesman

It's the 2nd part of the page, the "RISCH GETS HIS FACTS WRONG ON MEDICAID" part.

Gov. Butch Otter's budget office has known about the extended Medicaid match provisions for weeks.

Rusche and other lawmakers learned about how expanded Medicaid could save CAT fund dollars in September.

Both issues received state and national media coverage.

For Risch to get it so wrong, you're left with two explanations.

Either he doesn't know the facts, or he doesn't want to know.