Committing Adultery: Against the Law

Maxel

I like to make comparisons between what we know about the Nephite system of law and America's. For a while, Alma 30:9-10 has interested me:

9 Now if a man desired to serve God, it was his privilege; or rather, if he believed in God it was his privilege to serve him; but if he did not believe in him there was no law to punish him.

10 But if he murdered he was punished unto death; and if he robbed he was also punished; and if he stole he was also punished; and if he committed adultery he was also punished; yea, for all this wickedness they were punished.

I've always thought that the system of Nephite law was inspired of God (like the Constitution) and therefore secured the natural rights of the Nephites. I've been wondering about how, exactly, committing adultery would justifiably be a criminal offense (listed among murder and robbery). The only thing I can think of similar in American jurisprudence are the now-abolished anti-sodomy laws (which dealt with a specific type of fornication and not adultery in general).

Anyone have insight, thoughts, or questions?

• Laws exist so that society can live peaceably. No laws = no society = savagery.
  • The basis of society is the family. The basis of the family is the married couple. Therefore, there is little that is more destructive to society than adultery.
  • In point of fact, anti-adultery laws have existed through the ages of human society, but have rarely been enforced against women and almost never against men. The existence of such laws, even when not enforced, is an open acknowledgement of the society that adultery is a bad and destructive thing that ought not to be tolerated, even when it is.
  • A society that tolerates or, especially, encourages adultery will reap the whirlwind, as we see daily.

Quinn and Vort, you guys both make a lot of sense.

Going on what Quinn said- if adultery were a violation of contract, then that would mean marriage was a legally recognized and maintained institution (not surprising, since a majority of the Nephites when the law was established were Christians).

Is it only a fallen and hard-hearted people who won't openly and legally admit marriage is a serious and binding contract? This strikes a consonant cord with what we're seeing discussed on the national stage with the same-sex marriage debate.

this is what came to my mind when I read the OP....

When you are married legally within the US you not only make a commitment to your spouse, but you make a legal contract with the government regarding that union. Thats why we sign a marriage license. Any other time you break a legal contract with the government...i.e. taxes, identification records, voter registration...all of those little things...any infringement of the contract is a punishable crime...you can spend serious time for fraud or purgory, or any number of crimes related to breaking a contract with the government....in that case, why should breaking your marriage contract which is a legal and government upheld commitment be any different? I think it would be feasible to say that adultry was a crime if you looked at it in this light

In that case, I am for it being illegal, for more or less the arguments you laid out.

In this context, it might be worth noting that under the law of Moses, the penalty for adultery was death by stoning. The penalty for (unmarried) fornication was that you had to marry the girl.

Some might question why the penalty for fornication should be more severe than that for adultery. But not me.

In this context, it might be worth noting that under the law of Moses, the penalty for adultery was death by stoning. The penalty for (unmarried) fornication was that you had to marry the girl.

Some might question why the penalty for fornication should be more severe than that for adultery. But not me.

Bah, there's no laugh button the the Gospel forum. Took me reading your post over a few times before I got it though :)