Help requested: BoM sayings

thekabalist

These are not sayings, but occur all throughout the Book of Mormon:

“And it came to pass…” in Jacob 5:4-7, and pretty much every other verse in the BOM.

“And it came to pass in the eleventh year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, on the fifth day of the second month, there having been much peace in the land of Zarahemla, there having been no wars nor contentions for a certain number of years, even until the fifth day of the second month in the eleventh year, there was a cry of war heard throughout the land.” Alma 16:1. This is a good example of the MANY scriptures in the Book of Mormon that over-states the year, month, and date of the writing. Do Jewish/Hebrew writings overstate the time like this?

I'm trying to find it but I'm pretty sure thekabalist explained the words "And it came to pass."

Also about the dates..why do you think it's overstated? Those who wrote were told to keep a record of the people that would be understood by all who read it. The fact that they were so descriptive even to the dates is important to define time lines. It's actually helped me when I've tried to figure out how much time existed between point A and point B.

These are not sayings, but occur all throughout the Book of Mormon:

“And it came to pass…” in Jacob 5:4-7, and pretty much every other verse in the BOM.

“And it came to pass in the eleventh year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, on the fifth day of the second month, there having been much peace in the land of Zarahemla, there having been no wars nor contentions for a certain number of years, even until the fifth day of the second month in the eleventh year, there was a cry of war heard throughout the land.” Alma 16:1. This is a good example of the MANY scriptures in the Book of Mormon that over-states the year, month, and date of the writing. Do Jewish/Hebrew writings overstate the time like this?

Rayhale,

I have already explained the relevance of the expression "and it came to pass":

And it came to pass: Why does Nephi repeat these words so much in the narrative? Some critics say that if Nephi was running short in space it wouldn’t make sense to use this expression so much. However in Hebrew this expression is rather short: ויהי (vayehi – and it was/happened).

And this expression is rather meaningful because it’s the same expression that G-d used to indicate that the world was created. For example to say “and there was light” the Bible says ויהי אור (vayehi or). Our sages therefore believe that such an expression indicate that G-d’s power was behind the cause of such events.

As for giving dates all the time I believe this is a matter of personal style. Some books in the Bible are like that others are not. Jeremiah for example if I recall correctly gives dates 12 times all through his book of prophecy.

b'shalom!

• 1 month later...

The red part here sounds like a saying to me:

2 Nefi 25

13 Behold, they will crucify him; and after he is laid in a sepulchre for the space of three days he shall rise from the dead, with healing in his wings; and all those who shall believe on his name shall be saved in the kingdom of God. Wherefore, my soul delighteth to prophesy concerning him, for I have seen his day, and my heart doth magnify his holy name.