"Kool-Aid" isn't funny.

Jenamarie

And just for the record, Jim Jones used "Flavor aid" not kool aid.

For the record, both were shown in the video footage.

I have heard the phrase used against both sides of the political spectrum. To me it indicates that the person has 'bought in' to the rhetoric they support and have stopped thinking for themselves. It generally doesn't bother me.

Usually it's derogatory, and if I'm correct about your political leanings, you aren't usually on the receiving end in this forum. Of course it doesn't generally bother you.

As for the Kool-Aid thing, it's more of an annoyance to me than anything else. I see it as a cheap shot attack rather than an offensive reference, though I can certainly see why it would offend people.

Yep.

Often the term is used in frustration when evidence that thoroughly debunks someones posts is completely ignored.

I have no problem with the phrase used in that context. It seems to be used awfully indiscriminately around here, though.

Are you referring to Elder J. William Shakespeare of the Second Council of the Seventies?

There's a prof in the BYU English department named William Shakespeare. When I was at school back in the Pleistocene Era, he was a grammarian or linguist or some such, I think. I believe that today he actually teaches Shakespeare classes (assuming he hasn't retired yet).

Jennmarie, although I can understand your frustration, I can't agree with it. There is a reason Kool-Aid is used in political discussions. It means something. If you look back at some of the posts and try to understand why a poster mentions Kool-Aid, then you will see it was meant as it is - they are saying that somebody just made a comment by regurgitating popular media without analysis, verification, or even much thought.

I sometimes use the term. I don't think I'm going to stop using the term. It's like the word Oriental that some Americans decided is derogatory to Asians because it is Eurocentric and makes Asians seem like backwater imperial folks. Hey, I'm Asian, I don't find it derogatory! Everybody else in the world except America is fine with the word Oriental. I feel like they're robbing words out of the dictionary and black-listing them - just because somebody finds issue with it.

So, like everything else in these forums, if you don't agree that somebody just called somebody else a kool-aid drinker when they're truly standing by principle and not just regurgitating popular media, then defend the principle, not attack the use of the word.

Now, if you would have said "racist" instead of "kool-aid" then yeah, I can agree with you. That word has morphed out of its proper meaning and is been known to be used for anything not even close to resembling racism...

Edited by anatess

Sometimes the popular media is reliable and accurate and been proven so.....Sometimes....just saying.

Yeah, I would use the word Kool-Aid for those who disagree with popular media just because it is not from "their side".