Drifting...

Utah Mormons are so against anything not Republican-especially health-care. The Lord was pretty big on helping the poor. In fact, it seems nearly all other major religious groups in the US favor universal health care...

There are arguments for and against health care, and some (both sides) people like to use prophetic counsel as a backing. However, I think you make a mistaken in tying approval of any particular health care plan into discipleship.

I think many saints outside Utah (especially outside the US) could live the Law of Consecration; I wonder how many inside it could or would?

It may be appropriate to make mention of a mote and a beam. I'm not saying cultural Mormonism is perfect in practically every way, but before you let that imperfection convince you that Utah Mormons, or X Mormons (I can find flaws in any group of people) are horrible disciples of Christ you may want to ponder the matter.

Edited by Dravin

I'm not sure what I can offer in way of advice other than what I think I would do. I visit UT about once a year and often wonder if I could survive in that culture.

First, I love being peculiar. I live in a state where there aren't a lot of Mormons. I was the only one in my high school, I am the only one in my office. I relish being different. At the same time, I see the things I have in common with my non-LDS friends. I think I would try to relate that to Utah. My commonality with non-LDS in Indiana would be peculiar in Utah. I would relish being different in Utah as a Mormon--drinking my Mt Dew and smiling when I'm condemned as a heretic, listening to Nickleback and laughing when I get "those" looks, etc. At the same time, find the common things and rejoice in those--love of the prophet, raising your hand in support while in your car on General Conference Saturday, etc.

Second, I think you treat as you would living anywhere else--you focus on the positive. It is so easy for all of us to see the negatives and moan/groan about it. But once we decide to be positive, I think we start to see the beauty and uniqueness of our life. When you run into someone being self-righteous and your thoughts turn to negativity, tell yourself for every single negative thought you must come up with 2 postives--even if they are simple. "She actually made a comment about my skirt being from Walmart! Well, I was able to save money and put that money to better use by buying clearance at Walmart. That sister is a daughter of God and she is on this earth to gain experience just as much as I am."

Beefche, you wouldn't get any heretic 'looks' for drinking Mountain Dew or listening to Nickleback in Utah. People do it all the time here.

I also had a hard time assimilating when I moved here years ago. I expected better from people who claimed to hold themselves to high standards on Sunday and then fell short of those standards the rest of the week. It becomes magnified when you realize that the majority of people you meet are LDS but don't seem to hold fast to their testimonies, or that church has become some sort of social club that it is hard to break into. But then I started to see that it was my own preconceived notion of what Utah should be like, and that people are people first, and church members second. Sometimes it is harder to live the gospel fully when you are in the group of members and not singled out as the example to live up to. Sometimes it is easier to live the gospel when your peers see you as different and you have that difference to live up to.

raising your hand in support while in your car on General Conference Saturday, etc

I wonder if the number of accidents on Utahs roads reach a peak at the moment everyone is asked to sustain a new general authority at general conference :D

Going back to the thread topic, I'm familar with living in a contained environment surrounded solely by mormons, as I did this for a period of time. As most of my life I've lived in areas where mormons are scarce, lets just say the experience of living in an LDS zone was very eye opening. I encountered some of the most overbearing people I have ever known during this period of time.

I am a Utah mormon and have been all my life. I am at this point used to hearing different indictments about what is wrong with things here. I really appreciate John Does comments because I honestly feel that living the gospel in this unique circumstance has its challenges.....challenges that are not always readily apparent. That doesn't mean I don't have my laundry list of issues concerning mormon culture or that I am excusing what I feel doesn't work. It just means that maybe things aren't exactly as they appear.

Having said all of that, I am surprized at your list of issues. I guess I thought there was room in the LDS church for all sorts of political positions even when perspectives may be opposite of one another. I think the trick is not judging a persons spirituality on how they vote.

The GA's are not all Utah mormons so I am interested in why you are grouping them in. My personal guess is that God helps prepare His servants financially (in additon to other preps) to be able to serve in a global capacity. Financial concerns could really harm the unity of the family and I think the church wants to be prudent with these decisions. If you have a testimony that God calls prophets, then you have to take your question to Him.

Not sure I understand the money issue. SInce when is it bad to save money? If you are concerned that Utahns don't serve or give to charities, well I think it might serve to get your facts straight. It has been my experience that generally Lds people are very generous with their resources. Not that we don't need some work in these various areas.

And its ok that you have issues with cultural mormonism. Sometimes the culture here really does get in the way. But don't let that shake your testimony. Anchor yourself to the principles and pray for God to give you the eyes to see things in Utah as they really are and also to evaluate the people you meet inside the pure love of Christ. When you do that, people's failings won't matter so much. THen you can roll up your sleaves and see how God plans on using you to serve.

Welcome to the site and welcome to Utah too. We aren't perfect, but then again maybe that's ok.

Yes, you drinker of energy drinks. :P

haha You know that's funny because I'm not even an energy drink drinker. Okay I take that back, I think I've had one in a two year period. I much prefer the 5 hour energy shots. hahahahaha

Well I am NOT a Utah LDS and I missed the OP... dont give up just demp it a bit, no one likes to be critizised ... I think those Utah mormons... EVEN those Utah mormons are developing... slowly of course... but the direction is right... :P

Welcome anyway!

So officially:

Welcome to LDS.net. You will find here an ecclectic mix of LDS and some non-members. While the site is dedicated to the Gospel, and to promoting the Church to a world that often does not understand us, we also make room for conversations about current events, and about social and cultural practices within the Church. If your main desire is to learn about the Church, consider starting with the "Learn About Mormonism" forums. For more advanced teachings, that will often include a variety of perspectives, some non-LDS, consider the Gospel section of forums.

While you are welcome to all main sections, be aware this site makes room for a variety of opinions and personalities. Some posters can be passionate about their views, and occasionally more so about them than about the souls of visitors. If you find something particularly offensive, feel free to make a report by clicking the appropriate tab.