Is the "hun" thing cultural?

RachelleDrew

I won't go into the whole story this evening, because it's quite long winded. Essentially I realized tonight how aggravated I become when a complete stranger calls me "hun" or "honey".

It seems to be common in some areas, but it wasn't where I grew up. In fact, it was typically considered rude and condescending. I typically call a stranger "miss" or "ma'm" or "sir" but never "hun".

Is this something common in your area? Do you do it? Is this a cultural thing or more personal trait? I'm really kind of perplexed by it.

I've never kept track, as I'm male it is usually older women uttering that phrase. Never really taken any offense to it, they generally refer to anyone as hun or honey so I don't feel like. Also it has always been people in passing, so I've never had to consistently deal with somebody who does that. I imagine the gender difference plays into my perception of the word, getting called honey by a creepy old man is a different experience than having the grandmotherly waitress call you that.

Now if you want to annoy me (but not necessarily offend me) call my by the diminutive form of my name.

way back when I was a manager for Circle K in calif, I had an employee who was like that. annoyed the heck out of me, but it was just her bubbly personality.

I too am annoyed when someone calls me Mike after I have just identified myself as Michael. I give my name when I answer calls at work. I answer about 150 calls in a 10 hour shift. I cannot tell you how many times someone says "did you say your name was Mike?". I soooo want to say "no I said it was Michael".

In Costa Rica, store clerks and strangers on the street alike will call others by endearments like "Corazón" or "Cariño", and if it applies, "Jovencita" or "Bella"...even with physically-derived nicknames like "Flaquita" or "Huera". I took it more as flattery (sometimes sincere, other times not) rather than inappropriate familiarity. The former doesn't get under my skin, but the latter does.

Is "Hon" a southern phenomenon?

I'm from Yorkshire in England and we genraly only use the term hun or honny when speaking to our friends. I've never said it to a stranger or had a stranger say it to me. If a stranger was to say it to me then I'd be a little uncomfortable with that.

It's the same here in Birmingham, England. I've used it before, but only to female friends that I've known for some time and I don't use it that often. It's not a word I'm overly comfortable using.

Occasionally you get overly bubbily people calling others they have never met "hunny". These people tend to mean no offense, they are just being friendly, and accordingly I don't take offense from it. People in this category tend to be female. You then get some men who use the word "hunny" or "love" in a derogatory way towards women. This tends to happen when a woman is annoying him and they respond in a similar way to "okay, whatever you say hunny", or "whatever you say love". I've also seen some men who address all women in this way, I'm sure they mean no offense by it, but it's not really the done thing.

Edited by Mahone

I won't go into the whole story this evening, because it's quite long winded. Essentially I realized tonight how aggravated I become when a complete stranger calls me "hun" or "honey".

It seems to be common in some areas, but it wasn't where I grew up. In fact, it was typically considered rude and condescending. I typically call a stranger "miss" or "ma'm" or "sir" but never "hun".

Is this something common in your area? Do you do it? Is this a cultural thing or more personal trait? I'm really kind of perplexed by it.

Trick is to respond with an equally, condescending or intimate term.

"What would you like hon"

"I'll have the beef wellington, Pudding pop"

"Hey honey"

"Hello my little shnukum wokems"

[rant]

OFF topic, my least favorite social behavior is strangers touching my kids.

, "Hey, there's a baby i don't know, who has a weaker immune system then everyone else, puts her hands in her mouth, like all babies, and we are in the middle of cold and flu season. You know what i should do, put my hands, which have been touching everything in the store, on this baby's face and hands. Who doesn't like a stranger touching their kids.":confused::mad:

Next time this happens i'm going to lightly caress the face of the offender with the back of my hand until the give me the WTH look. "What you don't like strangers touching you"

[rant]

Edited by hordak

I too am annoyed when someone calls me Mike after I have just identified myself as Michael. I give my name when I answer calls at work. I answer about 150 calls in a 10 hour shift. I cannot tell you how many times someone says "did you say your name was Mike?". I soooo want to say "no I said it was Michael".

All my friends know not to do that with me, it is usually random people pulling that move. I almost leap for joy when somebody upon seeing my name asks, "Do you prefer to go by David or Dave?"

It means they'll actually call me the right one. :) Of course on my Mission my nick-name was a tunicated version of my last name (and I still get refered that by guys (and gals) I served with an around on my mission) and I kinda like it. Go figure.

Living here in UT the last ten years I've noticed this a lot. But hardly ever, if at all, in other places that I have lived. Having worked in nursing, you hear "hun" used all the time between nurse and patient, in an endearing way. I haven't heard the word used as much in other work places in comparison.

I personally don't use it. It just isn't my style. For strangers and those older than myself, I address them as "Mr." or "Mrs." so-and-so unless they request otherwise. And even then, I am still uncomfortable calling people the age of my parents by their first name. It feels impolite.. But that has a lot to do with how I was brought up as well.

I am still uncomfortable calling people the age of my parents by their first name. It feels impolite.. But that has a lot to do with how I was brought up as well.

I have one of my teachers from high school as a friend on facebook. High School for me was 30+ years ago, yet when I talk to him on facebook I still find myself referring to him as Mr. Xander. I guess I just can't get out of that.

in the southeast usa it's very common. it's more than acceptable to call a complete stranger hon, honey, doll, darlin, sweetheart, etc. it's not usually done in a condescending manner and if it is you will know it. lol i like it, i guess i'm not a feminist. it's not just male to female, i've had women call me those names, it's often used when talking to kids you don't know their name. it's so common here that it's never crossed my mind that it would offend someone. lol hummmm.....

Those things usually don't even bother me. I think the only thing in any recent time that has bothered me; I was playing UNO online and some guy that of course is just randomly playing against me...said..Pam..where are you from babe? GRRRR I hate that. And then to be asked how old I am. Does it really matter in playing some random UNO game online?

I had a little old man I used to help care for, since he had 70 hours of caregiving a week, spread over 7 days a week, plus nurses and as well as other people involved in his care, he just called us all sweetie cause he just couldn't remember all of our names. Since I take care of so many people and they have children, siblings, grandchildren, pets, other caretakers, doctors and such, I now call everybody Pumpkin. I can't remember everybody's name, they all think I like them as being extra special (they are, but that is besides the point) and we all enjoy each other and I have very good relationships. I do ask permission before calling them any endearment and everyone so far has agreed that I shoul do that. I just wanted to add my perspective. FC

I recently ran across a woman doing business who called everyone 'hon'. Doesn't bother me, it reminds me of someone being matronly and trying to be nice.

I have a brother whose give name is Dave. It used to drive him crazy when people would assume his full name is David and call him that. He would correct them quickly.

As for me, the only person who calls me Jonathan is my wife, and usually I'm in trouble when she says it. My full name usually isn't used except in legal situations. This is how my family will know if I'm in trouble with the law or if I die, is when the news calls the person Jonathan Doe, not to be confused with John Doe.