Honor Thy Mother and Thy Father

Q_A_111

What exactly does this Commandment mean? Does it mean that every trivial problem between a child and their parents constitutes a sin? For example, if a child who is in high school wants to attend the school where some of her friends attend and one of her parent's wants her to attend another school, if the child disobeys the parent, has the child committed a sin under this commandment? How about if a child refuses to do chores requested by a parent? Sinful? I realize these may seem like silly examples, but I am trying to get a grasp on where to draw the line and what the real intent of this commandment was/is?

I consulted the bishop about this one.

His explanation was that the 5th commandment, ''Honoring thine parents,'' means bringing honor unto their name; That by making sound and just decisions, and by honoring any sound and just decisions your parents make, you please the lord.

Remember that the most important part of the 5th commandment is pleasing and honoring your father in heaven, your spiritual parent.

The latter statement is most helpful for me as I have an insane father. I cannot go at ends to please him, as doing so would force me to commit heresy. I honor and please my father in heaven, at a higher priority than pleasing my father on earth.

In the OP, the example is a high school student. I would think that yes, that student should go to the school the parents dictate, and yes s/he should do assigned chores.

On the other hand, we had an immigrant high school boy come to our church, become a Christian, and then get kicked out of his house for dishonoring his parents. They were Muslims, and their son had become an infidel. Did he sin? I'd rather suggest he made a great sacrifice to follow God.

In my own case, my then gf and I waited a couple years on our marriage, so we could be at a place where all parents would bless our union. We were young adults already. Some would have counseled us to go ahead without their blessing. 14 years later, I'm so glad we waited. We honored them, and so God honored us.

Guest mormonmusic

Also, I think the scripture says "honor they father and mother THAT THY DAYS WILL BE LONG". I've seen many kids ignore parental advice and then get into car accidents, drug problems, alcohol problems or other life-shortening experiences.

It's good advice just to follow their advice, trying to understand their motives. They will make mistakes at times, but it's better to follow their advice and avoid the alligators.

Also, your parents make huge sacrifices for you, show them respect by honoring their requests and respecting their wishes. There's nothing that makes my heart sink than when my kids are ungrateful for the things I do for them. To feel so unappreciated or unsupported when I ask them to clean up after themselves or do other things when I'm sick, tired, or just needing a hand around the house.

I think it's lack of honoring parents that makes some parents so excited to see their kids get their own place and be self-sufficient.

Look at the positive note, when we do what is right after listening to our parents instructions, do we not fill their soul with joy and happiness? This is what the term HONOR means. Give homage to our parents when we are obedient and follow their will.

It is the same when we are obedience to the Laws of Gospel and live in harmony with GOD, we pay homage to our heavenly Parents the same way. If the veil was rent, I believe you will find that even our beloved FATHER will shed tears of joy over a child who is obedient and follows HIS will.

• 5 months later...