A faithful view of faith

Traveler

In one of thekabalist's commentaries on the Book of Mormon, he made an interesting observation about faith.

This remark was in relation to 1 Nephi 7:12:

Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him? Wherefore, let us be faithful to him.

The word faith (אמונה - emunah) in Hebrew literally means “trusting”. In Judaism faith is not seen as a belief but rather as a willingness to take the steps that G-d has guided us to.

I thought that was sage, and is true in Mormonism as well.

Regards,

Vanhin

If faith is put in the same bucket as belief....then yes, I think it's entirely possible to have faith but not be faithful.

The may believe it is true, even hope that it is, but then have this belief have little effect on their actual lives. It is, to me, a shallow faith. One that scratches the surface but hasn't found rooting. But it's still a faith, of sorts.

With luv,

BD

I think, to offer a comprehensive answer, the terms "faith" and "faithful" need to be defined in greater detail. I think thekabalist's comment that Vanhin linked helps us feel out a definition for "faith": a trust in God (and not just a surface, everything-will-be-okay-because-I-believe trust; a trust that is predicated on obedience and thrives on consecrated discipleship).

If we use this definition, then:

Faith = a living trust in God.

Faithful = living according to the commandments of God because we trust His judgment, power, and mercy.

Using these definitions, I think that faith is a prerequisite of faithfulness, and that faithfulness is the natural fruit of faith.

However, bluedreams touched the belief/faith question: what is the difference between faith and belief. I've come to believe, over the years, that 'belief' is the initial stage of 'faith' (as defined above). It is the cognizant acceptance of a doctrine (such as the existence of God) that doesn't necessarily include faith into the mix. For example, there are many that believe in the existence of God (even the devils), but not all seek to know or do His will. Therefore, such belief does not lead to faith. I think the key ingredient that turns belief into faith is works- the kind of works that Christ has commanded us to do (particularly the acceptance and keeping of covenants). Many times in the scriptures we see the commandment to follow the Lord in a verb form (usually 'walking' or 'keeping'), yet we know that our works are not enough to save us. It is the consecrating power of the Atonement that binds together our belief in Christ, a heart with pure intentions, and our works to create 'faith' and 'faithfulness'.

People of faith are not always faithful to that faith. Some people might put their faith in the wrong aspect of their faith. Some are faithful through and through.

Belief is essential for believing, but faith is not always essential for faithfulness.

Both the concept of belief and faith extend beyond religion. We believe the Earth rotates and we have faith that it will continue to do so. We are told by "so called scientists" that this revolving is influenced by "so called gravity" and that gravity will continue to do its thing. We can choose to believe them or not. We are asked to have faith that their calculations are not predicated upon the machinations of the "so called Al Gore". He clearly does not have the world's only true faith, of which many know but fewer believe. Faith that the sun will come up tomorrow - so bet your bottom dollar.

Is my therapy session up? Can we reschedule for tomorrow if the light shines?

:)

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Believing in what I cannot see and putting my hope in it--that is faith.

I have had that--faith--since I was a child. I have mentioned in another post that I have stumbled in my faith. My faith has wavered. I haven't totally and completely taken God at His word, and my relationship with Him (and every other person I'm in relationship with) suffers. When I don't FEED my faith with the TRUTH, then I am not faithFUL. I am not living out my faith. I still believe in God, and I love Him, but I struggle at times with doubts. It's like the man in one of the gospels said to Jesus, "I do believe, help my unbelief"--and Jesus answered his prayer, because of the faith he had. If, by "faithful" you mean "FULL OF FAITH"--unwavering in your faith, and altogether righteous,--I do think people can have faith and not be faithful. Those who are in relationship with God are all in the process of being sanctified--set apart and made holy. That is the goal, but we are not THERE yet.

This subject is probably SUBJECT to be argued because of how people view the words "faith" and "faithful" and the concepts, definitions, and principles behind them.

Believing in what I cannot see and putting my hope in it--that is faith.

This is what many "take home" from the scripture you quoted.

(Not trying to sinlge out lattelady, but everyone who interprets the Bible as teaching that faith is just belief)

Hebrews 11:

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

...and at a cursory reading it seems your interpretation is correct.

I'd like to show you something about the verse that seems hidden until you "see" it.

The verse says: Faith is the substance...

The verse does not say: Faith is things hoped for.

The verse says: Faith is the evidence...

The verse does not say: Faith is things not seen.

In other words: Faith is the substance and evidence of the things you hope for that are not seen.

Faith is something with substance and evidence. Faith is something you can see... it is only IN something you cannot see. Because, once you see a thing you no longer have to have faith. You then have a sure knowledge of that thing.

The substance and evidence of what you hope for is what you do to obtain your desire.

Read the verse closely and you will see that it is saying the same thing James says, namely that Faith without works is dead. So, if there is no evidence or substance to your faith then it is not faith, because faith requires us to do something about what we hope for. If we do not, our desire is unattainable, even with God's help.

This is an important understanding to reach if you are to understand what the Bible teaches about "having faith in Christ."

Faith is not just belief. Faith is doing. Belief produces no evidence or substance.

Edited by Justice

I suppose it would matter what your definition of faithfulness was. Doing the checklist of performances may not produce any faith either.

I like the idea of trust being an essential component to faith. I know in my own experience that I don't necessarily need the checklist to exercize trust or reep the benefits as God reveals his arm. Perhaps exercizing the trust IS the faithful act.

One of my studies includes the Isaiah scroll that was found among the Dead Sea Scriptures. This scroll is argued to be the most accurate ancient scripture text ever found associated with the bible. The words of Isaiah to king Ahaz are most interesting. But before I bring up the words of Isaiah, let’s look at the historical background of what is going on. Ahaz has rejected the L-rd’s protection in favor of the protection of the king of Assyria. I have spoken before of Suzerain Covenants and what the ancient concept of Kingdom meant. Note that in 2Kings 16:7 Ahaz recognizes the covenant of protection with the king of Assyria by calling himself the servant and son of the king of Assyria. Thus Ahaz repudiates that the L-rd is his Suzerain or L-rd and makes the king of Assyria his covenant l-rd.

The ancient text of Isaiah to Ahaz is as follows: “’im lo’ ta aminu ki lo’dmenu” (I apologize for not having the command of text representation that others have so this is my best offering). This text is an interesting play on words in Hebrew and can be translated as “You do not believe because you are not loyal to him.”

This leads me to understand that in truth that true faith is a gift to man from G-d and that such faith becomes part of us only when we make ourselves a vessel of G-d’s gift of faith. I would point out that this concept is parallel to the teaching of Jesus Christ in reference to the sower and the seed in that we become recipients of a seed only when our soil has been made ready to receive it.

The means by which we become such a vessel for faith or the seed that is the word of G-d is through loyalty according to the words of Isaiah to King Ahaz. It is clear to me (but not to others) that loyalty enables the faith in the master we serve to fill our vessel.

And so it is that I add one more thought concerning the 10 virgins that waited at night on the bridegroom. That they all believed and waited on the L-rd but only those that had prepared their vessels to hold faith (that had place for faith by being loyal) are welcomed with the L-rd when he comes.

The Traveler

I said this in another post, but my belief tells me it is of utmost importance to BELIEVE God (trust Him) that HIS WAY is the BEST WAY and to PURSUE it with everything I've got--which is alot--the power of God working in me.

I am not sure I understand your point - so I will ask a question. If someone believes in G-d and trusts him that His Way is the Best Way how can they be more loyal to someone (any other person) that claims that what G-d asks of us by way of commandment, is not necessary? Even if he asks that we build an ark on a mountain as he did with Noah or sacrifice our son as he did with Abraham.

There is a statement - "Choose you this day who you will serve (be loyal to whose command). As for me and my house we will serve (be loyal) to G-d.

The Traveler

Can a person have faith without being faithful?

The Traveler

Yes and no! It depends on the level of testimony [knowledge or instruction received]. It is a rare case where those who are given the rights as a member of the Church of the First-Born, can be inactive in the church and yet, make a greivious mistake and will have to pay for their own sins since the Atonement has no affect now in their lives. They still have the faith and not be faithful in their duties pertaining their tasking in mortality. The Lord is not far from this individual but the individual will need to learn to repent and make his/her journey back into this unique fold. I am not talking about those who are temple endowed and sealed. It is only stepping stone until one reaches this pinnacle where the Holy Ghost will present this person before the Godhead for membership into this fold. These are those who will be given access to the highest state in the Celestial Kingdom.

This is where I have to disagree with Elder McConkie over those who do transgress [members of the Church of the First-Born] that there is no forgiveness. He is simple wrong. Even President Spencer W. Kimball stated the same. Even they have the opportunity to repent from a severe transgression [adultery is a given example]. But murder and blasphemy of the Holy Ghost or the Godhead is not forgiven.

Edited by Hemidakota

One of my studies includes the Isaiah scroll that was found among the Dead Sea Scriptures. This scroll is argued to be the most accurate ancient scripture text ever found associated with the bible. The words of Isaiah to king Ahaz are most interesting. But before I bring up the words of Isaiah, let’s look at the historical background of what is going on. Ahaz has rejected the L-rd’s protection in favor of the protection of the king of Assyria. I have spoken before of Suzerain Covenants and what the ancient concept of Kingdom meant. Note that in 2Kings 16:7 Ahaz recognizes the covenant of protection with the king of Assyria by calling himself the servant and son of the king of Assyria. Thus Ahaz repudiates that the L-rd is his Suzerain or L-rd and makes the king of Assyria his covenant l-rd.

The ancient text of Isaiah to Ahaz is as follows: “’im lo’ ta aminu ki lo’dmenu” (I apologize for not having the command of text representation that others have so this is my best offering). This text is an interesting play on words in Hebrew and can be translated as “You do not believe because you are not loyal to him.”

This leads me to understand that in truth that true faith is a gift to man from G-d and that such faith becomes part of us only when we make ourselves a vessel of G-d’s gift of faith. I would point out that this concept is parallel to the teaching of Jesus Christ in reference to the sower and the seed in that we become recipients of a seed only when our soil has been made ready to receive it.

The means by which we become such a vessel for faith or the seed that is the word of G-d is through loyalty according to the words of Isaiah to King Ahaz. It is clear to me (but not to others) that loyalty enables the faith in the master we serve to fill our vessel.

And so it is that I add one more thought concerning the 10 virgins that waited at night on the bridegroom. That they all believed and waited on the L-rd but only those that had prepared their vessels to hold faith (that had place for faith by being loyal) are welcomed with the L-rd when he comes.

The Traveler

Did not Jeremiah who had great faith was not faithful as a prophet for small moment of his life? ;)

I will try to make an example. If someone says to me that they love their spouse more than anything else in the world and that they have faith in marriage but then in the next breath say that they do not believe that it is necessary to be faithful to their spouse? I do not trust them, I do not believe them and if my daughter or son (or myself) was engaged to be married to them - I would recommend that they pursue such relationships with someone that is not planning offspring with someone else during the courtship. In fact if they were a used car salesperson – I would not buy from them – I would rather pay more and deal with someone trust worthy.

How can someone say they are married to G-d (according to symbolism in scripture of someone that is "one" with G-d) when they are sleeping with other g-ds? The more excuses that are made the less I am inclined to trust those making the excuses.

Why is it so difficult to commit loyalty and fidelity to G-d? Why? Why is faithfulness so hated and disrespected? I really do not get it.

The Traveler

Traveler: The comment that I made above--the one you said you really did not understand--was an attempt to clarify what it is that I believe. It was also to dispel the notion that you seem to have that I feel obedience to God is unnecessary. Sometimes I get the impression that you start certain threads for the specific purpose of combatting mine. If I create a thread about "Stumbling Blocks to your Faith", soon thereafter you start one about a correct view of faith. Your posts are condescending to me and to others, giving the impression that you are speaking from a higher plane of intelligence, that you have been given special revelation that no one else has--with comments like: "I understand [this] (but others do not)..." Do you not see a certain hypocrisy in your efforts to get others (mostly me) to understand that my belief system is flawed, and abhorrent to you (perhaps even to God) because I don't believe that to have eternal life I must keep the commandments perfectly--and yet you speak to me (and others) with an attitude of pride?

My post was written to explain that my relationship with God is about trusting Him, taking Him at His Word that His ways are best, His laws are true and His commandments are for my benefit and safety--and then pursuing His ways with everything that is in me. Why is that confusing to you? And how is it any different from the concept of loyalty and faithfulness you've been describing? Is it confusing and different to you because I will also admit that I fail, sin, struggle, stumble and otherwise fall short of the glory of God?

I would, in love, challenge you to look at the attitude with which you come to people, in order to get them to see what it is that you believe. I have to keep my attitude in check constantly: check my motives, trying to make sure that I am always motivated by LOVE. What I see in your posts is not loving or humble, and it stands in stark, bold contrast to the message you keep declaring.

Repectfully,

Lattelady

Edited by lattelady

Traveler: The comment that I made above--the one you said you really did not understand--was an attempt to clarify what it is that I believe. It was also to dispel the notion that you seem to have that I feel obedience to God is unnecessary. Sometimes I get the impression that you start certain threads for the specific purpose of combatting mine. If I create a thread about "Stumbling Blocks to your Faith", soon thereafter you start one about a correct view of faith. Your posts are condescending to me and to others, giving the impression that you are speaking from a higher plane of intelligence, that you have been given special revelation that no one else has--with comments like: "I understand [this] (but others do not)..." Do you not see a certain hypocrisy in your efforts to get others (mostly me) to understand that my belief system is flawed, and abhorrent to you (perhaps even to God) because I don't believe that to have eternal life I must keep the commandments perfectly--and yet you speak to me (and others) with an attitude of pride?

My post was written to explain that my relationship with God is about trusting Him, taking Him at His Word that His ways are best, His laws are true and His commandments are for my benefit and safety--and then pursuing His ways with everything that is in me. Why is that confusing to you? And how is it any different from the concept of loyalty and faithfulness you've been describing? Is it confusing and different to you because I will also admit that I fail, sin, struggle, stumble and otherwise fall short of the glory of God?

I would, in love, challenge you to look at the attitude with which you come to people, in order to get them to see what it is that you believe. I have to keep my attitude in check constantly: check my motives, trying to make sure that I am always motivated by LOVE. What I see in your posts is not loving or humble, and it stands in stark, bold contrast to the message you keep declaring.

Repectfully,

Lattelady

I have traveled a great deal and have conversed with many peoples on many continents on the subject of religion. I have only come across one group that teaches that it is not necessary to be faithful to G-d in all he asks of them. This group openly teaches that nothing in the next life of benefit has any bearing on loyalty and faithfulness to G-d. I find this teaching odd in the landscape of religious thinking. I have met with many native aboriginal groups in North and South America; I have met with the most humble Buddhist in Asia. I have been invited into private homes of Muslims to join in weeklong religious celebrations and address devout members of their faith at Friday prayers at their mosques.

You are not the first to accuse me of arrogance and lack of humility – but of interest to me because all that have come to that conclusion are of the same Christian sect and belief structure concerning being faithful. You have every right to your opinions. I find such things most strange.

I have tried to probe your thinking directly concerning the precise elements I do not understand. I am well aware of scripture – It is your thinking I am trying to find some resemblance of reason to come to some understanding. Yes – I have tried other methods that you ignore.

I have met very few that believe G-d does not care for them and that they love G-d – all religions make that claim. Many say, as you do that they would do anything to be closer to G-d. I find it interesting that you are not interested in making an oath and covenant to be faithful to G-d. I assume, if you are married, that you had no problem taking an oath and covenant (called marriage) to be faithful to your husband. I assume that you understand that being obedient to such an oath and covenant is important and necessary for a long term relationship with your husband. But you do not want any such thing with G-d or believe such a thing real between you and him – despite the fact that scripture uses marriage as the example of covenant with G-d. Plus you say I am not humble and not loving for being bewildered with an entire religious group declaring they love G-d but that are unwilling to commit loyalty by oath and covenant and back it up by word and deed and willing to place such trust in their G-d as someone would trust marriage.

You are correct – I am not seeking such a relationship with G-d. I seek a covenantal relationship. But I am curious with how you come to believe such a thing. Please note that I have not gone to an evangelical web site to ask my question but only ask the question because you are here – at an LDS web site – knowing that LDS believe in being loyal and faithful by covenant. What did you expect? That I have no curiosity about why you believe as you do and that I give you no opportunity to speak truthfully of it?

The Traveler

It was also to dispel the notion that you seem to have that I feel obedience to God is unnecessary...

...to understand that my belief system is flawed, and abhorrent to you (perhaps even to God) because I don't believe that to have eternal life I must keep the commandments perfectly

I can imagine how frustrating this must be. From my perspective, I don't bring it up to do any of the things you mentioned, and I really don't think Traveler is either.

Honestly, I think you're wrong. I think you have been brought up with an incorrect belief. It doesn't mean I don't think you are intelligent, righteous, or a good wife and mother. What it means is that I feel I have a responsibility to help you overcome this false teaching. My desire is only to help, out of love and concern.

Let me see if I can use very plain language.

What is important for us (those who profess belief in Christ) is to realize He is God, and that what He says is truth, or things as they really are. I know you know this. But, I'm not sure how someone can get from there, to "His commandments aren't necessary." Is He not God? Can He lie?

Well, if He is God, and if He can't lie, then what He says is, well, the Gospel. His words are the way it must be.

So, if He says "Love your neighbor as yourself," then that's the way it must be. We must love our neighbors as ourselves. There's no, well I can't do that perfectly so I don't have to do it.

What it means is that if or when we don't keep His words for that thing we repent, and try again until we get it right.

If you fail at keeping His word it's not OK! He cannot look at sin with the least degree of allowance. His law is when we fall short we repent and try again. If you fall short, repent, and try again (sincerely) then you have kept His words perfectly.

Only those who truly repent will have their sins washed clean.

Those who think "since we can't keep His laws perfectly we must not have to," will have little reason to repent and try again. If one feels within that keeping His commandments is "good" and not "necessary," then there's no remorse of conscience or reason for repentance.

As a follower of the One and Only True and Living God, we must view His words as immutable. We must feel His words are of such vital importance that we hold ourselves perfectly accountable for living them. We cannot do that if we don't feel they are a necessary part of being one of His followers. Breaking a commandment is not OK. Only through sincere repentance can it be overcome.

Edited by Justice

I'm sorry if I am incorrect in my understanding (and please tell me if I am), but it sounds to me- Traveler- that you are attempting to make the presumption that Christians and/or LDS are lacking in their faithfulness because they do not make a marriage-like covenant with God, to be loyal to him and follow in his ways? I do not understand how you could have possibly come to this conclusion, when we are encouraged to do this very thing.

It is the purpose of our life to draw closer to God, learn of Him, come to understand Him, follow in His ways, step in His footsteps, take action to mark ourselves as a convenant people with Him, and seek always to perfect ourselves through living His doctrine. Such a task could not be accomplished without faith. If we did not believe in God, in His message, in His wonderful grace and mercy, there would be no reason for us to keep the commandments and do as He would have us do. It is a lack of belief that has caused many in the world to falter and stray from the path of righteousness.

Faith is more than belief however. There are those who believe in God, yet still choose not to place any faith in Him. Even Satan believes in God. Faith is belief and DESIRE. We must not only believe in His message, but desire to attain the glory He would pour down upon us. If we are filled with this desire, we will do as He has asked us to do, and we will remain faithful to his teachings.

Faithfulness is another step higher on the ladder. It is greater even than faith, and this is because it is more difficult to maintain. When hardships, trials, enticements, lies, bribes, and all the temptations of the world strive to lead us away, the faithful remain strong. However, to falter does not mean you are unfaithful. For a time, yes. But it is those who falter and never step back onto the path who are truly unfaithful. When we make mistakes, we are supposed to repent. God knew we would make mistakes. It is a simple part of being a human being, because human beings are weak and incapable of being perfect on their own. So he provided the opportunity for us to repent. We are faithful when we don't give up. When all the world is working against us, when we have sinned so horribly we feel their is no way back, we recommit ourselves to the Lord, and He in His loving wisdom will forgive us, so long as we are TRULY repentant.

Using your marriage example- yes it is harder to trust someone who has committed the awful sin of infidelity. But the Lord gives us the abillity to earn that trust back. Forgiveness isn't easy. We cannot simply say I'm sorry and expect to be forgiven. It requires real effort, humility, and anguish of soul and heart. We must commit ourselves to do EVERYTHING within our ability to make up for what we have done wrong, and then we will be forgiven, then we will be allowed re-entry into the fold of His faithful.

If one has experienced the literal infidelity that is so similar to our infidelity with the Lord, such should be treated in the same way the Lord treats us. He is forgiving... to those who are TRULY repentant. If we pass harsh judgment, the Lord will likewise use harsh judgment with us. But infidelity is one of those sins for which divorce is allowable. If the individual does not repent, there is no need to keep them in the covenant of marriage. The Lord cuts off the unrepentant, and when it comes to our sacred marriage we should do the same. It is a difficult decision to make, because we must be absolutely sure of ourselves so that we are not too liberal and subject ourselves to more heartache but also not too harsh so we will not receive harsh judgment in turn.

Is it forgiveness that you are having such a hard time understanding? Do you expect that only the perfectly faithful have truly committed themselves to a covenant with the Lord? If so, then you are sorely mistaken. None of us are perfectly faithful. Each of us must exercise our faith to the best of our ability, and Christ will make up for our shortcomings.

Some of us are incapable of having 'faith'. I have desire coming out of my ears.. so that can't be it. I've lived the correct life style, put out effort every night, and joined this Church in hopes that it would help me feel like I was communicating with someone besides myself..

I just hope that desire and dedication is enough. I hope He doesn't hold skepticism against me.. ^_^

bmy-...

Just be believing. He is good, all knowing, and has the power and ability to do anything to bring about your salvation.

Just believe... then faith will come as natural consequence. That is why the scriptures key on belief. Many in scriptures have prayed to have this belief. My 2 favorite stories are about Enos and the father of king Lamoni. Read those over and over.

Just be believing. He is good, all knowing, and has the power and ability to do anything to bring about your salvation.

Just believe... then faith will come as natural consequence. That is why the scriptures key on belief. Many in scriptures have prayed to have this belief. My 2 favorite stories are about Enos and the father of king Lamoni. Read those over and over.

Thanks.. but can you for example.. just believe that I am Superman? I mean.. believe it to your core.. literally believe that I am superman. I wish belief was a choice.. it would be so easy. I just do my best with what I have ^_^

If it was written in scripture, sure I could believe it. :)

Belief is a choice, really. Perhaps a "coerced choice" might be a better way to think of it. God blesses us through our obedience. If you really desire to believe, then find the principle associated to what you want to believe, then live it to the best of your ability, and repent when you fall short.

Like tithing, or the Word of Wisdom, or whatever principle is attached to what you want to believe. It's not always finding the principle that's attached because they aren't logical to our way of thinking.

Like in the physical world, if you want to be smarter at math, you study math.

But, if you want enlightenment about a certain spiritual topic, the principle you live may seem totally unrelated to the blessing you desire.

For instance, happiness is attached to fasting.

Thanks.. but can you for example.. just believe that I am Superman? I mean.. believe it to your core.. literally believe that I am superman. I wish belief was a choice.. it would be so easy. I just do my best with what I have ^_^

Given that we are taught men can move mountains and perform Heavenly Father's acts, then, why can't you be 'Superman'? So, the TOUGH question is, why AREN'T you Superman? And, for the record, neither am I. :)

It's like this...

Let's say Jesus is pushing a wheelbarrow on a tightrope across the Niagara Falls over the chasm between USA and Canada...

Belief:

- You have complete belief that Jesus will make it to the other side. You want so much to get to the other side with him because Father is there and you know it is where he wants you to be and it is where you want to be as well.

Faith:

- All of the above. But, in addition to that, you jump in the wheelbarrow and follow Jesus' instructions closely so you don't tip the thing over.

It's like this...

Let's say Jesus is pushing a wheelbarrow on a tightrope across the Niagara Falls over the chasm between USA and Canada...

Belief:

- You have complete belief that Jesus will make it to the other side. You want so much to get to the other side with him because Father is there and you know it is where he wants you to be and it is where you want to be as well.

Faith:

- All of the above. But, in addition to that, you jump in the wheelbarrow and follow Jesus' instructions closely so you don't tip the thing over.

Nice. Analogy. A++. :D

The real questions, though: is the Father in the United States or Canada?