dress for temple sealing

danceinthedark

So...I'm getting way ahead of myself by posting this...but I really wanted to know what is typically done. I am getting baptised at the end of the month...hooray!! My husband is already a member with a temple recommend. We were married in a Lutheran ceremony 3 years ago.

My husband is very excited to be sealed in the temple (me too). I know it will be at least a year from my baptism until we can be sealed. My husband wants to go all out and thinks I should get myself a wedding dress (temple ready of course) instead of wearing a temple gown. Sort-of re-do our wedding-since I actually was really disapointed with how our wedding turned out in the first place.

Is this done? Would it be weird if I was sealed in a wedding dress as I am already married? I don't think I would do a big pouffy dress...just a modest pretty dress to set the day apart. I hope to have our child/ren sealed to us the same day and have pictures taken-have a special family dinner-no reception or anything.

There are some very wedding-ish looking Temple gowns, although you'd probably have to order it online (unless you live in Utah). :)

ETA: Totally Modest.com - Modest Wedding Gowns, Modest Wedding Dresses, Modest Bridesmaids and Formals, Modest Prom Gowns, has some pretty ones under "Simple Gowns".

Edited by Jenamarie

Do remember that what may be considered a modest wedding dress for a church ceremony may well not be suitable for a temple sealing. For instance you will need to have long sleeves and a neckline higher than would be usual for a wedding dress. Also it must be in white and not ivory. I do understand you wanting to have a dress a bit more special than a basic temple dress though as this will be a very special day for you.

I'm not sure about the photographs. Here we are not allowed outside the temple in our white clothing and not allowed to photograph inside the temple so you may need to check up on that.

I'm not sure about the photographs. Here we are not allowed outside the temple in our white clothing and not allowed to photograph inside the temple so you may need to check up on that.

In the States you can go outside in your whites. I've seen it happen several times, if it's for pictures of Sealings and such. (I've seen some grooms wear all-white tuxes for their Sealings and then outside for pictures) Also, when my brother was married to his convert wife, the Sealer - still in his whites - came out to speak to her mom about how the ceremony went. It's the ceremonial clothes that we wear in addition to the Temple whites that are absolutely not allowed to be worn outside.

That's really lovely that you can wear your whites outside. We used to be able to at the London Temple and my late husband didn't realise it was not permitted here at the Preston Temple and was just stepping into the foyer to greet some members who were arriving and was told off for being on the outer side of the desk wearing his whites. When he expressed surprise and asked what people do about wedding photos he was told they photos not to be taken dressed in temple whites.

So...I'm getting way ahead of myself by posting this...but I really wanted to know what is typically done. I am getting baptised at the end of the month...hooray!! My husband is already a member with a temple recommend. We were married in a Lutheran ceremony 3 years ago.

My husband is very excited to be sealed in the temple (me too). I know it will be at least a year from my baptism until we can be sealed. My husband wants to go all out and thinks I should get myself a wedding dress (temple ready of course) instead of wearing a temple gown. Sort-of re-do our wedding-since I actually was really disapointed with how our wedding turned out in the first place.

Is this done? Would it be weird if I was sealed in a wedding dress as I am already married? I don't think I would do a big pouffy dress...just a modest pretty dress to set the day apart. I hope to have our child/ren sealed to us the same day and have pictures taken-have a special family dinner-no reception or anything.

Congrats...this is your start on your eternal journey. :D

You will be dressed in a temple clothing only during the sealing process. Those who attend should wear white but is optional of course.

May the Lord bless both of you on your desires and eternal prospects.

OP- You can wear a simple wedding gown so long as it covers up your garments. There are "shells" you can buy online to wear under your dress (this adds the long sleeves and higher neck) or you can just let the temple matrons give you these little mock sleeve things to wear. They aren't super flattering though, so I would just try and either buy a temple gown, or find a wedding dress that fits the standards of new brides in the temple, and wear the shell underneath.

It's really your choice, just remember that wedding dresses in the temple have to be kind of simple. You can't get one with a lot of beading or a long train.

i don't see why there would be a problem wearing a special dress for that occasion. when my parents were sealed (they joined the church after they were married) my mom said they kept calling her the bride, did everything they would do for a sis getting married that day. not sure if that was temple specific or not but it holds the concept you are talking about. i say go for it and make it as memorable as you like.

here are some that are already long sleeved so you wouldn't need the smock thing someone else mentioned Temple Dresses | LatterDay Bride & Prom i think they are nice enough to use as a wedding gown... you can also continue to use it when you go to the temple whenever if you wanted to.

Edited by Gwen

We don't leave the Temple in our whites for symbolic reasons but the Preston Temple 7 years ago at least allowed you to leave in your wedding dress. Mine is my temple dress

It would be about the time the temple opened that my husband was told not to go out of the door in his white clothes. I have seen couples in the grounds having photos taken after the chapel part of the ceremony. A lot of people do seem to be chosing to get married at the Chorley Stake Centre in order to have their wedding photos taken in the temple grounds.

• 4 weeks later...

While I have never been Inside to see a temple wedding my friends who are married in the temple did a range of different things.

One of my friends had a real wedding dress. It covered her garments but temple dresses must be long sleeve, and up to your neck, and plain. Her dress was short sleeved and had beautiful beading and design on it. So for the temple wedding she and her mother made a plain white satin dress, that had a fuller skirt, for the temple wedding, she then used it as her temple dress when she went back. Once the sealing was done and it was time for pictures, she put on her wedding dress, and took pictures outside the temple, she then wore that dress for the reception/ring ceremony as well. Just for kicks, she wore a short white dress prior to going into the temple.

One of my friends had a less elaborate dress, and she just wore it for the sealing, ring ceremony, and receptions. It was short sleeve, when she went into the temple the workers loaned her some sort of underlay thing that added sleeves and enough neck coverage.

One of my friends wore her grandmother's wedding dress, which was long sleeve and had a high neck, it was made of silk with lace overlay, so it wasn't too elaborate. She wore this for her sealing, receptions, and ring ceremonies as well.

My parents were married in their house right after they finished building it. My mother was married in a green and white dress that her mother made. A year or so later they got married in the temple and my mom was married in an exact replica (again, made by her mother in white this time) with a few modifications to make it temple ready. She also took pictures outside of the temple in this dress.

If I was you, I would just buy a temple dress, and just get your wedding dress modified (if needs be) to cover garments. Add a sash or a little something to it, shorten it, lengthen it, add a train, ect., do whatever you want, and it will be just like a brand new totally different dress. It will be WAY cheaper than buying a brand new dress, and temple clothes. ($1000 for a dress you'll wear once, or a $50-200 to modify the first dress of your dreams, and maybe another $100 for a temple dress) You can take your pictures outside in your "new/updated" wedding dress, to look beautiful in the pictures. Then every time you go to the temple you can be reminded of the day you were sealed by wearing the same dress.

P.S. Sorry I wrote a novel I hope it helped

• 1 year later...