Priesthood Poser Number 4

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

Hopefully people find these interesting and not pedantic. If not, I'll stop them.

You're a ward missionary out on a teaching appointment with the missionaries. You're visiting someone who had previously agreed to be baptized this coming Sunday.

However, when you arrive, they say they no longer want to be baptized. You're confused about this, because the Spirit was intense in your meetings, and the person appeared to have a strong testimony. They are well-fellowshipped in the Ward, and even have family in the Church who are supporting them. They have no vices to stop them from making the baptismal convenant you're aware of, and were actually excited to pay tithing.

You ask 'Why", and they reply:

"Because last night, I had a dream that if I get baptized, I will die. The dream was real, and I believe it's God telling me not to get baptized".

I hope anyone who believes the LDS gospel feels welcome to comment and post....how might you or the missionaries respond?

Edited by mormonmusic

Hopefully people find these interesting and not pedantic. If not, I'll stop them.

You're a ward missionary out on a teaching appointment with the missionaries. You're visiting someone who had previously agreed to be baptized this coming Sunday.

However, when you arrive, they say they no longer want to be baptized. You're confused about this, because the Spirit was intense in your meetings, and the person appeared to have a strong testimony. They are well-fellowshipped in the Ward, and even have family in the Church who are supporting them. They have no vices to stop them from making the baptismal convenant you're aware of, and were actually excited to pay tithing.

"Because last night, I had a dream that if I get baptized, I will die. The dream was real, and I believe it's God telling me not to get baptized".

I hope anyone who believes the LDS gospel feels welcome to comment and post....how might you or the missionaries respond?

Die to the worldly ways? However, without being their in person and feeling the Spirit for further clarity, it can be Lucifer who gave the person the dream.

"Your brain is brilliant beyond anything you consciously imagine. That magnificent brain has picked up on a basic truth: Baptism is a symbol of death and rebirth.

"Paul was very explicit about this: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. (Romans 6:6) Just before that (Romans 6:4), Paul explained, Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

"Baptism is all about death and rebirth. The Lord told Nicodemus, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (John 3:3) This rebirth is baptism: You lay down the life of your old, sinful self, and take up your new life of the servant of Christ."

Or something along those lines.

Guest mormonmusic

"Your brain is brilliant beyond anything you consciously imagine. That magnificent brain has picked up on a basic truth: Baptism is a symbol of death and rebirth.

"Paul was very explicit about this: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. (Romans 6:6) Just before that (Romans 6:4), Paul explained, Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

"Baptism is all about death and rebirth. The Lord told Nicodemus, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (John 3:3) This rebirth is baptism: You lay down the life of your old, sinful self, and take up your new life of the servant of Christ."

Or something along those lines.

That was the commentary of the missionaries teaching this person. Which then resolved the concern and led to baptism.

• 7 months later...

Oh, wow good job, Vort, I was thinking something like that...when I was baptized I was letting go of the old me and becoming a newer cleaner me. Yay! That is why the font is on ground level. I've been a ward missionary and had investigators have dreams that they don't understand like that. Some really interesting ones, too. They gave us the opportunity to explain principles they did not fully understand. God rocks.

I'd point out that they'd die anyway. Everyone will die eventually. Why waste time worrying about when, where, or how?