Telling kids Santa is real

Choseph

Guest mormonmusic

Sounds like this could be a good Criminal Minds Christmas plot for a Christmas Special. The unknown suspect (unsub) is responsible for a string of murders in the town. All the people are parents of young children who have a lot of Christmas decorations and lights adorning their homes. All the parents murdered have mothers with blonde hair, and fathers who are bald.

The FBI determines the unsub was emotionally scarred when he was told at the age of 7 there was no Santa Claus. His mother was blonde and his father bald.

Edited by mormonmusic

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We mostly skirted the issue without saying yes Santa is real but instead things like how do you think these things showed up etc.

We always pushed the spiritual side not the Santa side. For our kids Christmas is about celebrating Christ's birth, the joy of family and appreciating what we have. This is the first year we know all three 14,11,10 no longer believe. Since they knew the true reason to celebrate they were all fine with the discovery.

Actually while I am typing this at our kitchen table I can look over the screen and see a storage bin sitting on a chair ten feet away. In it are the kids unwrapped Christmas gifts. We told them not to open the bin because their gifts are inside and not wrapped. They don't want to spoil the spirit by knowing, so are far as we know they have never peaked.

Wow.... I don't know of a single person anywhere that has been mentally or spiritually scarred by a false belief in Santa Claus....

Really?

I run into it all the time.

A lot of people think it is all a game.

You don't think that the current state of affairs has anything to do with this game?

Just from my own experiences with different ones.

But just a thought and not an attack on anyone who feels differently.

Bro. Rudick

Of course we have to realize we are not only speaking of the children of the Church,

but children everywhere in all circumstances.

I beg to differ here. The thread is part of an LDS forum, and is primarily questioning LDS members. So, the question largely is, "What should we tell our church kids?"

When raised that Christmas is only a fun time, where Santa brings "stuff". The Spirit is not recognized or even wanted.

I'm pondering whether kids brought up only on Santa might not at least have a connection, in that Santa cared more for others than himself, and brought the gift of loved, wrapped in a toy. Jesus humbled himself, suffered for us, and brought us a tremendous gift of love, wrapped in a perfect sacrifice.

I beg to differ here. The thread is part of an LDS forum, and is primarily questioning LDS members. So, the question largely is, "What should we tell our church kids?"

I'm pondering whether kids brought up only on Santa might not at least have a connection, in that Santa cared more for others than himself, and brought the gift of loved, wrapped in a toy. Jesus humbled himself, suffered for us, and brought us a tremendous gift of love, wrapped in a perfect sacrifice.

Me thinks you are reaching

but

I guess that is what you are thinking about me here.

That's ok though;)

I was under the impression we were discussing the use of "Santa" in general.

Not only in the Church.

And yes, the Secular "Santa" is a nice guy:D

Today I was at the elementary school and enjoyed reading the wishful Christmas lists, from the kids to Santa, that were posted up on their class bulletin-board. This wasn't a mandatory assignment. The school doesn't push kids to participate in activities that may go against their beliefs or faith. But to point, it was interesting to see just how many kids did participate, which, I can only assume means that Santa does come to their homes. So it would seem that plenty of parents have not been emotionally scarred as children once themselves celebrating Christmas with Santa and sense no harm in allowing the tradition to continue.

Of course, I'm not disagreeing that there isn't someone somewhere that's had a traumatic experience having believed in Santa. Anymore I'm not surprised by anything. But as someone else had stated and I don't recall who.. A lot of how kids deal with the Holidays (Halloween, Christmas, Easter) depends on how parents present it to them. Kids may be naive in many ways but when it comes to feeling the Spirit—I have no doubt that perhaps they're more in-tuned with humanity/giving/forgiving than many adults. I believe Jesus and Heavenly Father can reach anyone, regardless, of whether or not they believe in Santa. So scratching out Santa visiting because they may not be able to establish the difference between the two is a weak stance to me.

Today I was at the elementary school and enjoyed reading the wishful Christmas lists, from the kids to Santa, that were posted up on their class bulletin-board. This wasn't a mandatory assignment. The school doesn't push kids to participate in activities that may go against their beliefs or faith. But to point, it was interesting to see just how many kids did participate, which, I can only assume means that Santa does come to their homes. So it would seem that plenty of parents have not been emotionally scarred as children once themselves celebrating Christmas with Santa and sense no harm in allowing the tradition to continue. . .

It would be interesting to me to hear those parents views on "Jesus".

You say they were not harmed in their celebration of "Santa".

I guess that is all in how you define "harmed".

Sometimes when we suffer "trauma" the effects are not so readily apparent.

Bro. Rudick

I appreciate your genuine concern for the welfare of the children, Bro. Rudick. But your views remain over-the-top for me personally.

I am OK with your feelings and have no feelings against you for that.

I only submit mine for comparison and do not claim to be superior because of them.

I have friends who will not even put up a tree or exchange presents.

I feel they are over the top as well but have no animosity for them either;)

I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.:santa:

Bro. Rudick

Really?

I run into it all the time.

A lot of people think it is all a game.

You don't think that the current state of affairs has anything to do with this game?

I thought we were blaming Obama? Now it's Santa? I'm having a hard time keeping up. ;)

PrisonChaplain is "reaching" no more than those who claim that Santa Claus and a Christ-centered Christmas are mutually exclusive.

My father always said that santa would come every year at christmas time.

Then he would grow out a beard and tell us that HE was santa claus.

We all laughed like yeah right, dad's santa claus. He's so funny.

And then I realized it was just a way to keep santa claus alive without lying to us. He actually was the fat, bearded guy that brought us presents...

I thought I was brilliant when I figured that out XD. That was a long time ago...

How would you know this?

Correct. I do not believe Jesus would lie to his babies for this type of "fun".

Did someone say differently?

I do. And not just one.

Then the Christ you believe in is a different being from the one I believe in.

Famous last words.

Buy it or don't, as you wish. The fact remains: Santa Claus is a fiction. Those who teach their children that Santa is an actual being are intentionally deceiving their children.

Yes, and sometimes it is devastating.

Some children are evidently quite a bit more thoughtful and sensitive than you give them credit for.

Whether or not you "buy" it is irrelevant. It happens, however much you may wish to claim it does not.

Ok. I seriously think you're making WAAAAAYYYYYY more out of it than it is, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. You have your opinion and I mine. Now excuse me while I risk everything by rolling the dice and playing Santa Claus for my kid. I know, tremendous risk for very little reward....oh well, I'm going out on a limb......living on the edge you know. Please pray for my sinful self as I participate in this horrible tradition. That is all.....moving on.

The irony to this thread is that I really don't have strong feelings either way, except that I refused to teach my kids about Santa and told my wife I would not lie about it. (One of the few battles I actually won...) If other people want to tell their kids that some fat chimney fetishist in a red suit gives them the loot, well, whatever. My children are under strict instructions never to reveal The Awful Truth to their friends (not so much of a challenge any more for my older kids, mind you). But I do get a bit peeved when people accuse non-Santa-worshipers of malfeasance, or when they try to insist that lying to kids about Santa is really telling the truth, while telling kids the truth somehow destroys the sanctity of childhood.

Tsk tsk, Vort. No Santa, no tooth fairy, no fantasy for your children? Your grooming will make them into good scientists and researchers, buts it's those who can imagine that become our leaders, entertainers, and...sometimes...BOTH. :-)

Actually, my children have shown exceptional leadership skills. I doubt that disbelieving in Santa or the Tooth Fairy will negatively affect that. As for being entertainers...I'm entirely okay with them avoiding that whole area of employment.

at a very short age kids do believe in santa, I think is naive to be thinking that telling them santa is real when they are 3 or 4.. is lying. It's something kids look forward to, when I was about 6 It was common for us to discuss wheter Santa Claus was real or our parents were the ones that left our presentes. eventually kids discover the "awful" truth, but to them it doesn't matter as long as they received the presents, it's exciting to think some guy will bring u stuff.. well, for kids, may be parents don't find it exciting due to the expensive stuff kids wanna have nowdays..

anyways, not many years before I received santa's presents haha, of course I didnt believe it, I just loved the presents, even when I was like 16 still left my "letter" cause my little brother did.. =)

Hidden

It always amazes when people say "I stopped believing at 7 (or whatever) when a friend told me that Santa Claus is your Dad!" I always want to say: "And you believed him?"

I knew from about 4 or 5 that this was always a possibility, but my Mum and Dad always denied it when questioned. However, when I was about 9 I'd developed a worldview into which Santa didn't comfortably fit, so I kept demanding to know why research wasn't being done on the "Santa Claus phenomenon" (flying reindeer etc.) My Mum eventually gave in and confirmed the alternate "Santa" hypothesis.

If anything, it was a relief.

Same here, well, I tried but it went in one ear and out the other. Each child is different.

It always amazes when people say "I stopped believing at 7 (or whatever) when a friend told me that Santa Claus is your Dad!" I always want to say: "And you believed him?"

I knew from about 4 or 5 that the "Santa's your Dad" hypothesis was a possibility, but my Mum and Dad always denied it when questioned. However, when I was about 9 I'd developed a worldview into which Santa didn't comfortably fit, so I kept demanding to know why research wasn't being done on the "Santa Claus phenomenon" (flying reindeer etc.) My Mum eventually gave in.

If anything, it was a relief.

I grew up with Santa as a story, its the way I am bringing my kids up - he is as real as you want him at any moment, my Dad told her he was Santa so now my 6 year old is happy with that, I told her everyones Mummy or Daddy was Santa, she likes that and knows he isn't a fat red bloke invented by Coca Cola.

...isn't a fat red bloke invented by Coca Cola.

Of course he's not! He's Saint Nicolas...the jolly old elf with his eight tiny renideer..Dasher and Dancer and....ummm...the other 6. And Rudolph of course. And he lives at the North Pole. And he eats mince pies and drinks beer - not Coca Cola! (I know because we always used to leave a pint out for him on Christmas eve, and it was always gone in the morning, and no it wasn't my Dad who drank it. So there!)