2 Nephi 16:8

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 16:8

8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then I said: Here am I; send me.

Quotes for Discussion

Here Am I

“The door of history turns on small hinges,” and so do people’s lives.

Fathers, grandfathers, are we reading to our sons and grandsons the word of the Lord? Returned missionaries, do your messages and your lives inspire others to stand up and serve? Brethren, are we sufficiently in tune with the Spirit that when the Lord calls, we can hear, as did Samuel, and declare, “Here am I”? Do we have the fortitude and the faith, whatever our callings, to serve with unflinching courage and unshakable resolve? When we do, the Lord can work His mighty miracles through us.

Thomas S. Monson, Ensign, Nov. 1992, 48

There is a great need for many more missionaries, including couples, as President Hinckley in his February 21, 1998, satellite broadcast said: “With concerted effort, with recognition of the duty that falls upon each of us as members of the Church, and with sincere prayer to the Lord for help, we could double the number of convert baptisms….

There is not a work of greater importance or of greater joy and reward that we could do at this time….

I believe our Heavenly Father and I trust Him, and when He reveals to us, speaking through our living prophet today, that we need to do more, and more of us need to become involved in the work of bringing souls unto Christ, then we need to step forward and say, “Here am I; send me” (Isa. 6:8).

H. Bruce Stucki, Ensign, Nov. 1999, 44

I have been drawn to an interchange between God the Father and His Eldest and Only Begotten Son, who is the ultimate example of living up to one’s premortal promises. When God asked who would come to earth to prepare a way for all mankind to be saved and strengthened and blessed, it was Jesus Christ who said, simply, “Here am I, send me” (Abraham 3:27).

Just as the Savior stepped forward to fulfill His divine responsibilities, we have the challenge and responsibility to do likewise. If you are wondering if you make a difference to the Lord, imagine the effect when you make such commitments as the following:

“Father, if you need a woman to rear children in righteousness, Here am I, send me.”

“If you need a woman to make a house, a home filled with love, Here am I, send me.”

“If you need a woman who will shun vulgarity and dress modestly and speak with dignity and show the world how joyous it is to keep the commandments, Here am I, send me.”

“If you need a woman who can resist the alluring temptations of the world by keeping her eyes fixed on eternity, Here am I, send me.”

Between now and the day the Lord comes again, He needs women in every family, in every ward, in every community, in every nation who will step forward in righteousness and say by their words and their actions, “Here am I, send me.”

My question today is, Will you be one of those women?

Now I know you want to. But how will you do it? How, in a world filled with deceptive messages about women and the family and knowing the significance of both to the Lord, will you perpetually respond to the Lord by saying, “Here am I, send me”?

For those who really want to live up to who you are, for those who at all costs want to repent, if necessary, and who want to see through Satan’s deceptions, may I suggest that you listen to and follow those whom you sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators. I suggest that you learn to hear the voice of the Spirit, or the voice of the Lord as communicated by the power of the Holy Ghost.

M. Russell Ballard, As Women of God

This is all perfectly stated. Looking ahead, one cannot help but ponder the great knowledge and understanding that will come forth during the Millennium to help mankind with their current difficulties. I think that there will be many who may be involved now in the coming forth of new knowledge that will be helpful to man during that time. Perhaps some of these are unsung heroes living in today's environment. There will be a greater outpouring of God's Spirit then.

• 7 years later...

Sometimes, very often actually, I feel like the Lord puts before me conversations, talks, and testimonies and even scriptures that I needed to hear at that exact moment. I was just thinking this morning about my role as the Lord's servant and what I'd be willing to do. I even said, "but not children, and not marriage ever again," thinking that I could satisfy my call to service of Him in some other way and it'd be good enough. Actually thinking that children would get in the way of my ability to serve Him and the prospects of romance and marriage acting as a "distraction" to all I hope to achieve. And not half an hour later, I read this, like the Lord reminding me, "No. Everything. You have to be willing to give everything to me." Even if he may not ever ask me to be a mother and wife, teaching a family and raising them in righteousness, I have to be open and willing to serve Him in this way.

48 minutes ago, a mustard seed said:

Sometimes, very often actually, I feel like the Lord puts before me conversations, talks, and testimonies and even scriptures that I needed to hear at that exact moment.

I often feel that way. I remember as a teen hearing someone say, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." I can only assume that the lessons are all around us all the time, and when we finally develop ears to hear, we start getting the lessons -- and then say, "Wasn't it amazing how that lesson was there just when I needed it?" (And yes, it is pretty amazing.)

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

I often feel that way. I remember as a teen hearing someone say, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." I can only assume that the lessons are all around us all the time, and when we finally develop ears to hear, we start getting the lessons -- and then say, "Wasn't it amazing how that lesson was there just when I needed it?" (And yes, it is pretty amazing.)

I really like this perspective a lot! Thank you for sharing it! <3 Because that really is the crux of it, isn't it? It's not like I'm sitting here waiting and ready all the time and God shuffles these things in front of me like, "I think you're ready for this/in need of this at this moment." Even the process of conversion is always ongoing, a transformation of our perspectives and spirits, evolving and building faith upon itself. The personal revelations we receive and opportune words of guidance from the Lord is a result of our own changes, like sunglasses with layers and layers of tinted glass being removed one by one, clearing our vision. Even the answers to prayer are sometimes given for our willingness to ask and turn to Him, which is a humbling of the self, a willingness to listen.

Sorry, I'm just really excited because this too has changed my perspective. Realizing that the responsibility lies with us always and that the answers are always within reach when we are open to receiving them.

Edited by a mustard seed