Immigrating to America !Advice!

MissKitty

I've been searching websites and feeling a bit confused so thought I'd just ask here for any pointers. I am 22 and live in Leeds England. I have no qualifications a part from my secondary school grades so I'm not qualified to work in a specific sector. I also don't know any one in America.

The reason I want to live there is because I want to live near the prophet. I know that might sound a bit silly and unessacery but I just feel strongly that is what I want.more than anything.

My life is at a comfortable plod at the moment and I am young. I suppose maybe I want a bit of adventure and there is nothing keeping me back here in Englland. My family are here and we are close but I have not lived with them since I was 19.

I will be going a lone. I'd get a job rent a room some place. I just need to know about visas. I also have not got a pass port never been abroad. Will be going to the post office to get a passport

I will be living in Utah. I want a fresh start. I want to leave this old life behind and fly away some places new, new people, new oportunities. I'm under no illusion how hard it will be but I have a strong desire to work hard and make things work out for myself.

If you don't have any relatives in the USA... your best bet is via a job. Though if you don't have any good standing qualifications or any other kind of career prospects or relevant experience, you don't have a lot of hope just yet. It's not easy to get into either England or the USA, as they are both countries with considerable amounts of people trying to get in. They will want to know what you can offer their country that isn't generally offered by the average US citizen, like being an entrepreneur with the potential to employ several US citizens, or your career path being one that is in demand.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

as far as visas, you shouldn't need one... I'm American and have been to the UK, didn't need anything besides the passport.

for your other questions see the other posts.

Guest mormonmusic

Miss Kitty -- if you want a life here, to work, and to enjoy some of the social benefits, you'll need to get a visa of some kind eventually, and you'll want to become a permanent resident. You can probably come here easily on a passport, but only temporarily.

If you don't have any specialized skills, then it's going to be tough getting permanent residency, based on my own experience. It was tough for me even though I came here in an employment shortage area.

I think your best bet is to save up some money to come here on an international student visa. You could find a school in Utah that will accept you, but you'll have to pay tuition. You could experience life here for a while, and even take a job on a university campus, legally.

While you're here, you might find a nice LDS priesthood holder to marry, and then proceed with a permanent residency application so you can be legal here, as a spouse. That would be my suggestion.

Also, I understand it's relatively easy to become a permanent resident here in America if you're a nurse; this is a shortage area, and if you come here on a student visa, you could pursue a nursing credential if that interests you.

If you want to talk to someone who might be able to help you understand the in's and out's of becoming an international student, I know someone who might be able to help. You can send me a message if you want and I'll see what I can dig up.

as far as visas, you shouldn't need one... I'm American and have been to the UK, didn't need anything besides the passport.

for your other questions see the other posts.

I don't know if that is entirely true if planning on staying for an extended period. When I went to Hong Kong I only needed a passport but I only had 30 days I could be there without applying for a visa.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I don't know if that is entirely true if planning on staying for an extended period. When I went to Hong Kong I only needed a passport but I only had 30 days I could be there without applying for a visa.

yea that's true... excuse me then. :D doubt it'd be as little as 30 for the US though, maybe 90, that'd be something to check

As a UK citizen, you can visit the US for up to 90 days on a passport; if you want to visit for longer, you'll need a visitor's visa. They only authorise you to visit, though -- you can't get a job on either.

But I think it's probably a good idea to visit Utah before you commit to anything permanent. Utah is very, very different to England -- especially the Church, and the weather -- and you might get there and decide you hate it. I like Utah and England both, and miss Utah a lot, but they are very different.

If you do decide you want to go ahead with it, I definitely think your strongest option is to go in as a university student, as mormonmusic explained. Best of luck.

yea that's true... excuse me then. :D doubt it'd be as little as 30 for the US though, maybe 90, that'd be something to check

It could have been longer. It's been quite awhile..just the number 30 stuck in my brain for some reason.

If I may, a suggestion, as it appears you lack a fall back plan should unexpected events unfold. First, obtain a work visa and have a return ticket on hand, then use the internet to find work at a youth summer camp either in Utah, or on the West Coast. This will ensure that you'll have a safe place to start your adjustment process to this country, and earn a little money in the process. You'll also be around a staff of young people generally your age, which means building friendships, and establishing a net work that could lead to additional employment once the camping season has ended.

Guys, US visa rules have changed since 9/11. The new Homeland Security rules require UK visitors to obtain a visa if they hold a passport issued after December 2004 for ANY reason of entry - that even includes a mere 2 weeks stay at Disneyworld - no exceptions.

You can get a visa for L67 at the US Embassy in London.

You have several options:

1.) Tourist visa - usually good for 30 days to 6 months with a chance to extend by filing for extension within the US

2.) Student (or F1) visa - needs sponsorship from a school. You will need to be a full-time student (at least 12 credits) paying out-of-state tuition. You can enter as a tourist and apply for F1 visa within the US. F1 visa allows limited work opportunities (usually work issued as part of your curriculum). After graduation, you may stay and work for an additional 2 years before your visa expires and you have to convert it to something else or go back to the UK.

3.) Work visa - needs sponsorship from an employer. Jobs are scarce for this at this time, especially with the current economic trend. Even nurses are not getting visas at this time because of the number of US nursing graduates that are available and the wait-and-see status of the new healthcare bill that could impact the health industry. But this could change soon.

4.) Fiancee visa - you would need an American boyfriend.

5.) Visa lottery - you will need to apply at the US Embassy in London. This is a "luck of the draw" type thing.

Hope this helps!

Edited by anatess

I am originally from Manchester Uk and currently living in the US. I moved here 6 years ago. When I came here I was with just my passport and a 90 day limit for tourist. I met someone and at the end of 90days went home. I then came back and in the next 90 day visit we were married by the bishop. I am now a permanent resident but it wasnt easy.

I would highly recommend a vacation first it is very different that the UK, even the church is different, it has been my experience that it is not a positive change with the church and has made me doubt the church with a lot of pain and suffering. If you choose to immigrate do it for yourself and not for the church or to live close to etc. It must be a decision you are happy with.

I miss home terribly but now I am remarried (to someone who does not raise his fists) expecting our little miracle next month and no longer an active church member. But I am happy! Think it through carefully, research diligently and take every precaution for your choices.

The first thing you need to do is learn the local language. It's not as hard as it might sound, but it takes concentration.

motto: MAH-doe

American Fork: 'MAHR-kun FAHRK

Pleasure beyond measure: PLAY-zhoor bee-YAWNED MAY-zhoor

Practice, practice, practice!

The first thing you need to do is learn the local language. It's not as hard as it might sound, but it takes concentration.

motto: MAH-doe

American Fork: 'MAHR-kun FAHRK

Pleasure beyond measure: PLAY-zhoor bee-YAWNED MAY-zhoor

Practice, practice, practice!

and forget going south, that will take weeks to learn the local language i reckon!:D

Been there, done that. You don't have much hope of working or becoming a permanent resident unless you are in a highly specialized field of employment, or you have an American fiance who can show he is capable of supporting you financially.

I moved to the US on a fiance visa and stayed four years. It took almost that long to get my permanent residency (Green Card), by which time I'd decided it was too crazy to live under GWB and we decided to pack our bags and head back to Australia. While I had many good experiences in the US, I've never looked back and probably will never go back except for a visit to see friends. I had to marry my husband within a fairly short time of being in the US before my fiance visa expired, then came the endless reams of paperwork that had to be filed every few months. I was fortunate in being able to work as a highschool teacher while I was there, but did find I had to dramatically modify my accent because the kids found it difficult to understand my pronunciation of certain words. Mostly, they just thought I was hilarious ;o)

Something you may not realize is that living in the US means you will need health insurance, usually subsidised by your employer. If you don't have this, it will cost you upwards of a hundred dollars just to see a GP. Need antibiotics for that pesky chest infection? Be prepared to shell out another $70 at least without insurance. Unlike many other countries, the US doesn't have free public health and if you aren't a citizen - then you are entitled to nothing in the way of benefits. When our health insurance ran out with a gap of a few months before we left the country, I had several doctors tell me they would no longer treat me - all said with a friendly smile and a wave out the door.

The suggestion someone else made about becoming a Nanny is a good one, but you'd probably need to go through an agency and have completed some kind of course first. The Summer camp counsellor jobs are only for a couple of months and other girls I know who have done it said they were pretty much trapped in one area taking care of kids, apart from the last two weeks of their visa when they were free to go sight-seeing before returning home. Not really a good way to see what the country has to offer you in the way of work, social networks and so on from what I have heard.