The Three Nephites... Names?

Taldarin

Can't disagree with that.

Does anyone know why it's forbidden, though? We know the name of John, who also is tarrying as the Three Nephites, as well as the name of all possible candidates for the 3 Nephites...

I'm not going to question the Lord's decision on the matter, but I do wonder what the reason for withholding their names is.

nope don't know... My guess would be is that if people are looking for a certain name, then it'll cause a lot of problems that could be avoided otherwise.

• 1 year later...

I am one of probably a very view set of people that knows the names of the three Nephites. I had my knowledge confirmed by a professor of a church university. I don't know why I have this information or what purpose it has; but it is certainly a testimony to me that the Book of Mormon is true and not some lofty fabricated story. Because it was nearly impossible for Joseph Smith to have made their identities unknown in the way that they are.

• 3 months later...

Lately, I understand they've been going under the nicknamese Maurice Gibb, Andy Gibb, and Barry Gibb -- the Bee Gees.*

They took a break from endless decades of service to create a string of hits, leaving hints about their identity as the three Nephites -- only to be understood by the spiritually mature:

"Tragedy": Is a reference to the call of the Nephite civilization as described in the Book of Mormon.

"Jive Talkin'": is a song about anti-Mormon propaganda.

"Stayin' Alive" is thinly veiled reference to their immortality.

Wake up everyone!!!!

*Source: The Mormon Tabernacle Enquirer, page 101, as well as my own personal study.

LOL! Love this. :animatedlol:

• 5 years later...

I believe we are over-complicating what their names are.

I have concluded that their names are;

1. Nephi.

2. Timothy 

3. Jonas

Just as Peter James and John are always pointed out together in the New Testament together; and are named first; it only makes sense that the three Nephites names would be in this order also.

3 Nephi 19 states all the 12 Apostles names.

So these are our candidates.

"And it came to pass that on the morrow, when the multitude was gathered together, behold, Nephi and his brother whom he had raised from the dead, whose name was Timothy, and also his son, whose name was Jonas, and also Mathoni, and Mathonihah, his brother, and Kumen, and Kumenonhi, and Jeremiah, and Shemnon, and Jonas, and Zedekiah, and Isaiah—now these were the names of the disciples whom Jesus had chosen—and it came to pass that they went forth and stood in the midst of the multitude."

3rd Nephi 19:4

Let's dissect this;

Nephi. Who was the Prophet before Jesus' birth and was the Prophet during His ministry and also was called to be His Apostle, would make sense.

Second, his brother Timothy, who was raised from the dead, would make sense. Timothy already died and preferred to help those who are still alive and wanted to tarry; since he knew and saw, first hand; the fate of those who reject the Gospel.

Lastly; Jonas.

Would make sense to want to tarry, by believing both Nephi's and Timothy's words.

It's not that hard to conclude.

Thoughts?

Edited by Royeah
Misspelled word of complicating

I learned the following from an institute teacher.  I have no idea if it is true, nor if anyone can access the journal in real life to verify, but apparently a man named Oliver Huntington kept a journal, which is in the Church archives, with an entry dated 16 Feb 1895.  In that entry are the names of the three Nephites:

Feb. 16, 1895: I am willing to state that the names of the 3 
Nephites who do not sleep in the earth are Jeremiah, Zedekiah, and 
Kumenonhi . 

...now, whether this is true or not, I don't know.  This is the only reference I know of to their names.  And it's as meaningless as other people in this thread have pointed out, since even if someone claimed to have one of these names, it's not like they're going to have an ID card you can check.  Any verification would come only through the Spirit.

3 hours ago, Royeah said:

Just as Peter James and John are always pointed out together in the New Testament together; and are named first; it only makes sense that the three Nephites names would be in this order also.

I can see that as reasonable grounds to guess that Nephi, Jonas, and Timothy were their First Presidency, but I don't see it as strong evidence that they are the three who chose to tarry.

5 hours ago, Royeah said:

I believe we are over-complicating what their names are.

I have concluded that their names are;

1. Nephi.

2. Timothy 

3. Jonas...

It's not that hard to conclude.

Thoughts?

Well, who could argue with that sound logic?

2 hours ago, zil said:

I learned the following from an institute teacher.  I have no idea if it is true, nor if anyone can access the journal in real life to verify, but apparently a man named Oliver Huntington kept a journal, which is in the Church archives, with an entry dated 16 Feb 1895.  In that entry are the names of the three Nephites:

...now, whether this is true or not, I don't know.  This is the only reference I know of to their names.  And it's as meaningless as other people in this thread have pointed out, since even if someone claimed to have one of these names, it's not like they're going to have an ID card you can check.  Any verification would come only through the Spirit.

Oh, dang out-done by a journal entry by another person I've never heard of.

Folks, we don't know because we don't know.  And for some reason the Lord apparently doesn't want us to know.  Why bother prying at the plates?

Of interest, Peter nor James nor one of the John's (but the other) chose to stay and teach the gospel.  Just because one is in the first presidency at that time, does not mean they were the ones who stayed as one of those who did not taste of death at the end of their natural span.

This is an old thread.

Which is more important, the name of the Three Nephites, or the names of the dozens of inactives in the ward that no one remembers?

I think in the context of the world, we have important things to worry about, and perhaps the reason we do not have the names given in the Book of Mormon is because it would distract from more important things that we have to do.

In addition, who knows what names they go by.  Even if they had names previously, it does not mean they will always go by those names in today's world.  Just recall, that if we do it to the least of these, we have done it to the Lord.  You never know who you may help or assist (or who helps or assists you) when interacting with strangers who need help (or offer help when you most need it).  How much better if we were angels from the Lord and helped those who needed it most, and then who knows, perhaps people would swear that an angel visited them, even if it was you or I.