What's your worst social embarrassment?

BrotherBear

Guest mormonmusic

I was waiting in line at a government office. Each person was supposed to take a number and sit down. When there number was called, they were to walk up to a booth to get served.

I noticed the line was really long, and often, the tellers would call out a name, and no one would come forward. Apparently, they got tired of waiting and left.

I had a bright idea -- why don't I just walk up to to a booth if no one comes forward when a number is called? I can get served faster, and no one will be the wiser.

Sure enough, a few minutes later a number was called -- number 222. I looked to my left, I looked to my right. No one came up. I walked confidently up to a booth and laid down my papers.

The teller says to me "Where's your number?" I said, "I guess I don't have one and mumbled some excuse. Then I feel a tap on my shoulder, and this elderly man with a cane is standing beside me huffing and puffing, apparently from walking REAL SLOW up to the booth. He lays the number on the table.

The guy behind the booth points at me and screams "HEY, THIS GUY ISN'T NUMBER 222!!!!"

Everyone stared at me -- the people behind the booth, and all these people waiting, some grinning.

I scrammed it out of there, drove across town to another government service office on the way home, and it was empty! I got served immediately. But boy, was embarrassed at the last place!

Hidden

One time, before I was baptized, I got REALLY drunk (let me just say here that I am not proud of it) and urinated in the Salvation Army coin pot that those bell ringers stand next to during the holiday season (I really had to go). It was outside a shopping store and the store manager saw me and got really upset and started chasing me around the outside of the store. I started hooting and hollering, taking off my shirt and jumping around. The next thing I remember I woke up naked in a shopping cart next to the dumpster.

Never again.

Choseph S

Hidden

Choseph! Oh my! That's terrible. One time I had a little to much to drink (just wanted to try it, I shouldn't have) and I ended up kissing a guy I didn't even know! I can't imagine doing what you did though, that's a little extreme. Just goes to show you how evil the stuff is.

I could easily fill a book with awkward and embarrassing moments. I'm really good at messing my words up, thinking one word, and saying an other, but what comes out is the wrong word or a combination of the two. Last thanksgiving, which we have at my husbands grandparents, instead of asking for the stuffing I asked if they could pass the *four letter word that starts with SH*

You had the AUDACITY to say Shiz? The 3rd to last Jaredite to die? Whew, I guess that would be embarrassing...

I was at a large conference for work, and there were multiple companies around trying to advertise their goods. One of them had employed a magician to attract people to their section of the hall and I stood in the background briefly trying to figure out how he was doing the things he was doing. He was involving the audience in his tricks, though I wasn't intending on getting involved with it.

Anyway one of his colleagues ushered me forward, and I somehow found myself his next target. It was a derivation of a popular card trick, and the previous person had been asked to pick a card after he flicked through the pack in front of him. When he came to me, I assumed he was doing the same thing. However, due to nerves of having been placed on the spot, I seem to have missed the instruction to tell him to stop at a random point as he flicked through them. He got to the end of the pack and I hadn't told him to stop. He repeated the instructions, though while I heard them, they didn't register (again, due to being nervous). He repeated flicking through the cards, and I once again didn't tell him to stop, still assuming he was doing the same to me as he'd done to the previous victim.

He flashed me a perplexed look, and said "sorry to wake you up mate", before moving onto the next person. Of course I realised my mistake at this point, and thankfully managed to shrink into the shadows and away to another part of the conference centre, which fortunately was very large.

I still cringe at that, not sure what the people observing must have thought :D

Oh, and the classic, holding someones hand, who isn't who you thought they were. Oh, you're not my husband! I've also done it when I was little. You're not my dad! I'm the awesome.

Or patting some random woman on the rear end (or other places).

When my wife's younger sister was recently married, she and her husband sat talking with us in our living room when his hand unconsciously found its way down her blouse...

Three of us laughed about it, including the perp. The victim was somewhat less amused.

I was sitting in the reception office of a previous workplace (gosh, why do all these happen at work :o ) and on the phone to the support company of some management software they were using in that office. It was the middle of summer and there was a wasp flying around the office. I couldn't move because I was on the phone, one of my hands holding the phone to my ear and the other contolling the computer mouse. The wasp, noticing my vulnerable position decided to take this moment to dive bomb me. It landed on the left side of my neck and very quickly crawled under the collar of my shirt, where it proceeded to sting me several times. I was unable to do anything to remove it as I was trying to continue the phone conversation as professionally as possible. After being stung about six or seven times, one of the ladies in the office noticed my obvious discomfort and ventured beneath my collar with a tissue and extracted the wasp. I don't think the guy I was talking to had any clue there was something not quite right.

Edited by Mahone

In the job mentioned above, I worked in two different buildings half a mile apart. It was the last day of term before breaking up for christmas and that day I had been assigned to work in building one. There was a party later that night, as per usual on the last day of term. Most people had left as it was the end of the day, but I had needed to run over to building two to finish some end of term jobs before heading off to the party. When I arrived, the place was all but deserted. Only the caretaker was around, and he had to go out for a bit, so he told me just to close the doors behind me when I needed to leave, as they would lock automatically. So I set about doing what I needed to do, and about an hour later I was ready to leave.

The front entrance to the building has a porchway. There is an internal door and an external door. This was my usual exit so I opened the internal door, which closed and automatically locked behind me. I got to the external door only to find it was locked. So there was me, in an empty school, stuck between two locked doors. Then I remembered the caretakers final intructions... use the back door to leave *sigh*. As if my luck wasn't already bad enough, I'd just used the last of my credit on my phone to call a friend before getting locked in, so I couldn't call anyone for help. I was stuck for two or three hours before someone finally called me to ask where I was.

I did manage to get to the party, albeit very late and arrived to applause from everyone. It seemed someone had found out and announced my predicament to them before hand.

I do embarrassing things all the time. The secret to not being embarrassed about it is to act like what you are doing is entirely normal.

I go to work in my daily clothes, change into a uniform, and change back when I go home. If I stop at a store on the way home and notice that people are smiling at me more than usual, I automatically have this reaction to check to make sure my pants are fully zipped up. If they are, I know the person is just being nice today. Occasionally I'll get home and realize that the breeze is blowing more than usual, and that I have forgotten to zip or failed to secure the zipper in its upright and locked position.

Huh...let's see...there was my first day at the MTC...I had just put my bags in my room and headed off to lunch. Coming back I entered what I thought was the right building, but the decorations on the doors, and the ironing boards in the halls told me I was quite wrong. Thankfully a pair of very gracious (they only grinned huge I-could-eat-a-whole-pie-in-one-bite grins instead of laughing openly at me) Sisters helped me find the right building. I never got lost again.

Then there was this past thanksgiving, when I got a chance to see a niece and nephew I hadn't seen since before my mission. When I saw them, I had no idea who they were, so I introduced myself as though we had never met. I soon realized why they were also smiling very broadly. They were both great about it though (I have awesome family...good genes, obviously).

Huh...let's see...there was my first day at the MTC...I had just put my bags in my room and headed off to lunch. Coming back I entered what I thought was the right building, but the decorations on the doors, and the ironing boards in the halls told me I was quite wrong. Thankfully a pair of very gracious (they only grinned huge I-could-eat-a-whole-pie-in-one-bite grins instead of laughing openly at me) Sisters helped me find the right building. I never got lost again.

Hahahah, while I was working at the temple, two male employees at the temple and myself entered the female toilet/bathroom in the onsite MTC to do some work in there. We had placed an out of order sign on the door, as it wouldn't be good for a sister missionary to be using the toilets while there were three men present... except that is exactly what happened. Apparently this sister missionary either didn't see our sign or ignored it. We didn't realise she was there until it was too late.

It doesn't seem that bad, but they don't like things like this to happen in the MTC :P

It was our wedding day. We were not members at the time and not being religious felt it was wrong to have a church wedding when we didn't support any of the faiths. So we did JOP in a public park we could and did rent. Being an outdoor wedding and not being flush with funds we taped all our music, we had a sound system for the reception but used a portable stereo running through an eighty watt power booster I had for the park.

The Male half of the wedding party was responsible for the field while the female half had the hall. Anyway we only had the stereo left and an hour to go before the wedding. (It had rained most of the day so everything became last minute) I went and got my tux on, got back to the site with 30min. to go so the rest of the wedding party could get dressed. The best man tells me the booster is shot, no music.

I grab his car keys jump in his car and drive like mad to the nearest Canadian Tire store. Running in there is ten or more people in line at the automotive section. In my tuxedo I push past all of them interrupt the customer being served and tell the clerk.

"I'm getting married in 20 minutes and the power booster for the wedding march died! I NEED AN EIGHTY WATT BOOSTER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Oddly no one in the line, including the customer I interrupted said anything hostile to me or complained I should go to the back of the line. The clerk just went and got it as fast as he could. Of course there was a line at the cash so I did the same thing, everyone was reasonable. Or they were worried about getting this tuxedo clad overwrought idiot out of the store as fast as possible.

Normally it takes 15 minutes just to get to the store. I had 30minutes from the time I found out the thing was broken. I got there, back and had it hooked up and working with 3 minutes to spare or in less then 25 minutes.

Mind you my wife never remembers that. She just remembers how while trying to hook the booster in the judge asked for her Birthdate and I got the right month and year but mixed the day up with the day of our first date which was three days difference.

One of my student jobs at BYU was to swap out old air conditioning filters in the different buildings on campus. Those filters are located adjacent to fan rooms, and my boss (who knew where each building's fan room was located) was out for several weeks with a bad back. So, he left us with a few campus skeleton keys and a schedule of which buildings needed to have their filters changed over the next few weeks--and vague instructions as to the location of those buildings' fan rooms.

So, one day we're in the Richards Building and got ourselves into what seemed to be a storage/mechanical room. At the other end of the room was another door. Assuming it led on to the fan room, we pulled out a skeleton key, opened the door, and (without thinking too much about it) walked right through. . .

. . . into the women's locker room (which, luckily, was empty--at least, we didn't see or hear anyone!).

I generally do not watch scary movies as I tend to get overly scared during them. However I thought the movie Sixth Sense would be ok. When it was out in theaters I dating my husband, sitting around me in the full theater was my husband (then boyfriend) and my roommates. In the movie there is a scene where the kid is going to the bathroom and a ghost walks past the door, of course the music uses this time to do something dramatic and the combination of it all just got to me. I started screaming at the top of my lungs, multiple times. Everyone in the entire theater turned and looked at me. I wanted to just melt into my chair and disappear. My roommates and my husband all had a good laugh at my expense later.

I grab his car keys jump in his car and drive like mad to the nearest Canadian Tire store. Running in there is ten or more people in line at the automotive section. In my tuxedo I push past all of them interrupt the customer being served and tell the clerk.

"I'm getting married in 20 minutes and the power booster for the wedding march died! I NEED AN EIGHTY WATT BOOSTER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's totally awesome. Way to save the day!

For the record, I wouldn't have interrupted or complained about you either, and I'm not the least bit surprised that no one did. The command over the situation is one thing, but throw in that you had a tux on, and there are no questions asked.

I'd've laughed at you after you left, though. :D