Spencer W. Kimball Quote

Cra-Z

I was listening to LDS Radio today and the show Legacy: History of Media in the Church, part 2 found here: Legacy - Programs - Home.

One of the men quoted Arthur Haycock to have said this while he served as secretary to Spencer W. Kimball.

"I was flying over South America with President Kimball by my side and he turned to me and he said, 'Arthur, don't you think this is a wonderful airplane.' I said, 'Well, yes President, I do.' And he said, 'Would you like to know why we have aircraft?' And I said, 'Yes President, I would.' And he said, 'The Lord has created and inspired the invention of aircraft so that the servants of the Lord can go to and from in their labors and the missionaries can come back and forth from their field of labor. All other uses of aircraft are extraneous to that.'"

Does anybody have a citation for that? I really like the quote.

It sounds like something he'd say :D Many years ago I read a big blue book with a lot of his quotes that I've never been able to find again, and in it he said something like we already have space travel (angels, Christ, and Heavenly Father visiting the Earth) and interstellar communication (prayer).

Guest mormonmusic

Neal A. Maxwell spoke to us in Canada and commented on the diversity of races in the regional conference congregation. He made a comment that the friendly immigration policy of Canada was there so people of other cultures could come to Canada and hear about the gospel, which wasn't as accessible in their native countries.

At the time, I thought it was the due to the left-wing government wanting to swell their voter ranks, as foreign immigrants tended to become citizens and then vote left-wing (I noticed this when driving through various heavily concentrated ethnic areas within Toronto -- the whole area was plastered with lawn signs showing support of the left-wing party, as well as the final landslide victories for these groups in those same voting areas).

But what do I know. He's the Apostle.