The cradle of democracy is flirting with bankruptcy . . .

Just_A_Guy

"Cradle of democracy" being Greece, of course. Story here.

So wait....there's actually consequences to massive debt when you're a country??? I thought it was just a pretty number that people like to flash...when it got bad countries just had a magical reset button that lowered it or just sold it off to other countries. You know, like trading baseball cards or something...guess greece just got stuck with all the bad baseball players :P

But seriously, I didn't realise countries actually could. I know there are problems with LDC's with debt from loans to organizations like the IMF....but thats about the extent of my knowledge on said things.

With luv,

BD

Helping to prop up our economy, eh? Hopefully, it will not get so small that we have no money like Greece.

More like, they have no were to invest but the United States. A bad investment is better than a investment were you would have been better off burning your money in a fireplace. In the fireplace, at least you get a little heat.

Fascinating news, JAG. That's bad news, too.

Countries with a widening gap between rich and poor start wars or revolutions. It's always happened:

Germany post WWI reparations.

Tsarist Russia

Phlahvi's Iran

Revolutionary France

And so on and so forth back to the beginning of time.

When families that could feed their children in comfort suddenly see them going hungry, someone has to pay the piper and if the government can't come up with an enemy, they become the enemy.

2010 could be difficult.

I agree, Funky. And the prevalence of broad social programs only exacerbates this, because we've been groomed to expect more from our government and the idea that something's being "taken away" always strikes a very potent nerve. ( remember, in law school, seeing studies about how people will shell out huge amounts of money--far more than makes economic sense--in order to keep something they've come to regard as "theirs").

The Romanovs ruled Russia for 300 years--not because Russia was a haven of class equality for much of that time, but because the serfs didn't really expect their rulers to take care of them.

I agree, Funky. And the prevalence of broad social programs only exacerbates this, because we've been groomed to expect more from our government and the idea that something's being "taken away" always strikes a very potent nerve. ( remember, in law school, seeing studies about how people will shell out huge amounts of money--far more than makes economic sense--in order to keep something they've come to regard as "theirs").

The Romanovs ruled Russia for 300 years--not because Russia was a haven of class equality for much of that time, but because the serfs didn't really expect their rulers to take care of them.

Was it the last days of Rome, who populist rather have 'bread and circus' then to work an honest day without having a government handout?

I remember studying the old testament in a class once and and we were taught that the bankrupt nations will gather for armageddon. I think it may have been Daniel or Jeremiah we were studying. But all the same I believe nations will become bankrupt so that doesn't surprise me that 2010 will be bleak! Somewhere along the line it's going to happen.