The Christmas Shoes Song: Gospel Love or Sappy & Depressing?

prisonchaplain

Is the "Christmas Shoes" song a powerful message of gospel love or a sappy and depressing   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is the "Christmas Shoes" song a powerful message of gospel love or a sappy and depressing

• Powerful message of gospel love
    • Sappy and depressing tune

I think I agree with pam, PC, and those who agree that this is not a bad song. This song is a million times better than MOST Christmas songs. Does "Rudolph the red nosed reigndeer", "Santa Clause is coming to town", "Jingle Bells", or "Deck the Halls" even come this close to TRYING to spread the true meaning of Christmas as this song does?

Call me crazy, but I see this song as a similitude of the atonement. The boy did all he could to buy the shoes. He couldn't do it on his own, but there was someone else able to pay the rest. Maybe you're right. Perhaps it was a bit sappy. Maybe my translation of the song is sappy too. But I see nothing wrong with any song that has a good message. The message of the song isn't about presents, Santa, or snow. It's also not about death, shoes, or money. It is about charity, the pure love of Christ.

It takes someone very comfortable with his masculinity to hear the Christmas Shoes song, shed a tear, and then kiss his daughters, and thank God above for health, family and gospel love. :-)

Surviving a listening of that song would make me pretty grateful to. :P

For those of you who do not like this song for whatever reason, that is certainly your prerogative. But, no matter what you have to say negatively about this song, I still STAND with the few who like it. Personally I applaud the writer of this song for releasing to the world a message of hope, love, kindness, humanity -- those things which make up the true meaning of Christmas, instead of another worldly song that merely focuses on getting, selfishness, material possessions, etc. -- those things which in my humble opinion detract from the true meaning and Spirit of Christmas. Take away the last syllable of the word Christmas and what do you have left? Answer: Christ. Christ is the very central figure of Christmas. Christ is what Christmas is all about. Humbly I submit, that when the world wakes up and finally realizes that IMPORTANT fact, then it will be Christmas all the time. The true meaning of Christmas in my humble opinion is found in the GIVING not the GETTING. It's not about ME. It's about OTHERS. God bless us everyone! Merry Christmas.

I love America. It's still the best place to be but there is one thing that I've noticed for many years folks in the "good ol USA" do especially the media and that is take some type of tragedy or terrible tramatic accident type situation and make a joke out of it at the expence of the grieving family/friends. As quick as a minute it's all over from SNL to local kindergarden kids repeating the joke. If only they knew or took the time to think about what doing this kind of thing does. It breeds bad stuff. There are many reasons people do it and I would imagine the majority is out of ignorance. Maybe I'm naive but I would like to think there aren't THAT many cold hearted people out there but, I've been wrong in the past. Christmas Shoes to me looking at it in a big picture way is one simple word, love. Maybe there are more people that we know that have issues with love. Being hurt in some way in the past. Something that causes them to not be able to see the big picture here. For all that love Christmas Shoes and for all that run to the bathroom and get physically sick every time they hear it I say this....I love you either way. :)

Strangely, some of us who fail to find the beauty in the song find beauty in other songs about Christ and love and the true meaning of Christmas. Could it be possible that we're not spiritually dead but that Christmas Shoes is the worst Christmas song of all time? It's clearly about child abandonment, materialism, and misguided beliefs about death. Furthermore, does the little boy know his mother's love language? Maybe it's not "receiving gifts" but "quality time"?

:P

Could it be possible that we're not spiritually dead but that Christmas Shoes is the worst Christmas song of all time

Then again that would be an opinion. Not all are of the same opinion. I just find it silly to debate over a song that we would agree some like and some don't. What's the problem with that? Makes no one right and no one wrong.

Pam, this isn't about a song. It's about worldview and perspective. Some have given in to the spirit of psuedo-realism. They've allowed their hearts to harden, because they are so guarded against manipulation, scam, and childlike innocence that just might be disappointed.

Christmas Shoe proponents, on the other hand, have chosen the higher, more dangerous road. We've chosen to feel, to care, and to become vulnerable--because love is worth it!

Oh...and even if I'm wrong about all that...Christmas At Denny's still beats Shoes for the Christmas Song Cellar Contest, hands down. :-)

Then again that would be an opinion. Not all are of the same opinion. I just find it silly to debate over a song that we would agree some like and some don't. What's the problem with that? Makes no one right and no one wrong.

But according to the poll, it's overwhelmingly sappy and depressing. Aren't polls what we use to determine truth? :P