Book of Mormon in 16 Days

Justice

My kids have 16 days off school for the Christmas break. A couple of years ago, when I had a lot of spare time, I devised a method for reading the Book of Mormon twice in 32 days, which I did 2 times in back-to-back months, making it 4 times in 64 days. You read (approximately) 15 chapters a day, and repeat those 15 chapters the next day, so you read each block of 15 chapters 2 times (for better retention). In 32 days you will have read the Book of Mormon 2 times.

When my kids were cheering they had 16 days off school, something clicked in my mind, "Hey! 16 is half of 32!"

I challenged them to follow my plan, but not repeat the blocks, and have the Book of Mormon read in 16 days.

At first, they said, "Are you kidding, dad?" But, after some explaining about why I challenged them, and what I hoped it might accomplish for them, they all agreed (if anyone is curious I'll be glad to share).

We just finished day 3 and my daughters are 1/2 way through 2nd Nephi, and my son is in 2nd Nephi 10 (a little behind).

They all are asking a lot of deep questions they've never asked before! They're seeing things they didn't see before. It's awesome!

Here was my plan (WoM is listed twice intentionally):

Day 1 and 2: 1 Nephi 1-11

Day 3 and 4: 1 Nephi 12-22

Day 5 and 6: 2 Nephi 1-16

Day 7 and 8: 2 Nephi 17-33

Day 9 and 10: Jacob, Enos, Jarom, Omni, Words of Mormon

Day 11 and 12: Mosiah 1-15

Day 13 and 14: Mosiah 16-29

Day 15 and 16: Alma 1-15

Day 17 and 18: Alma 16-30

Day 19 and 20: Alma 31-46

Day 21 and 22: Alma 47-63

Day 23 and 24: Helaman 1-16

Day 25 and 26: 3 Nephi 1-15

Day 27 and 28: 3 Nephi 16-30

Day 29 and 30: 4 Nephi, Mormon, Words of Mormon, Moroni

Day 31 and 32: Ether 1-15

Edited by Justice

My kids have 16 days off school for the Christmas break. A couple of years ago, when I had a lot of spare time, I devised a method for reading the Book of Mormon twice in 32 days, which I did 2 times in back-to-back months, making it 4 times in 64 days. You read (approximately) 15 chapters a day, and repeat those 15 chapters the next day, so you read each block of 15 chapters 2 times (for better retention). In 32 days you will have read the Book of Mormon 2 times.

When my kids were cheering they had 16 days off school, something clicked in my mind, "Hey! 16 is half of 32!"

I challenged them to follow my plan, but not repeat the blocks, and have the Book of Mormon read in 16 days.

At first, they said, "Are you kidding, dad?" But, after some explaining about why I challenged them, and what I hoped it might accomplish for them, they all agreed (if anyone is curious I'll be glad to share).

We just finished day 3 and my daughters are 1/2 way through 2nd Nephi, and my son is in 2nd Nephi 10 (a little behind).

They all are asking a lot of deep questions they've never asked before! They're seeing things they didn't see before. It's awesome!

Good for you! I think this is very, very commendable. I think I need to try it myself.

A wonderful plan. I wish I'd thought of it when my kids were in their teens.

I'm thinking I'll start today.

I'd like to know more about what you said to your children to get them to do this during Christmas break. Its marvelous.

applepansy

P.S. why is Words of Mormon listed twice?

The Words of Mormon is listed twice because it was written by Mormon after the last great battle. So, chronologically it was the last of his writings and is easier to take in context when read chronologically. But, it was meant to bridge the gap between the Small Plates of Nephi (which end with Omni) and the remaining abridgment of the Large Plates of Nephi (which starts with Mosiah). This is why Mormon actually insterted it between the two. But, read in both places it's easier to see what Mormon was trying to do (at least for me).

My 13 year old son has now finished 1st and 2nd Nephi (right on schedule). His twin sister is 6 chapters behind (she was sick today and slept quite a bit). My 16 year old daughter is ahead of schedule and has finished Jacob (they all started Saturday).

As far as how I got them to do it, it wasn't really that hard. They love the Book of Mormon (they get it from dad :) ). They each wanted posters of their Book of Mormon hero for Christmas. They saw them in the Distribution Catalog. My 13 year old daughter picked Helaman with his 2060 warriors behind him, her twin brother picked Samuel the Lamanite, and their older sister picked Captian Moroni. Very nice posters, all their favorite people in the Book of Mormon. They say "Real Hero" on them... they are very nice.

Anyway, I played a game with them and had them turn to anywhere in the Book of Mormon and read a verse on the page (one that wouldn't give obvious clues). Then I told them the book, chapter, and verse they were reading from. I got the book right all 10 times, the chapter right 9 of 10 times, and the verse right 5 of 10 times (I was only off 3 or less verses 4 times). They were pretty amazed LOL.

They asked me how I did it. I told them that speed reading the Book of Mormon gives you a clarity of the progression of the Book of Mormon, how the plates were passed, which writings are from which plates, and it allows you to recognize the minutest of details and understand when in their history it happened. I told them that it wouldn't all come at once, but that if they did it several times, together with the normal studies, they would be able to do it too. Then I challenged them and they all said "Oh yeah!"

My hidden agenda is preparing my son for a mission. But, my daughters are more spiritual than he is, which doesn't really surprise me.

Congrats...it is tough though when you get to 2nd Nephi with Isaiah text.^_^ "U da man!"

It takes more than 16-days just for the Book of Ether. :D

Well done, now you can remember the scriptures, you're as good as a typical Christian. Now re-read it when you feel like LEARNING something.

Seriously, there is no shortcut, you can't just memorize the book of mormon.

Wait, reading the Book of Mormon is a shortcut to learning the Book of Mormon? He didn't advocate speed reading the book a couple times and declaring yourself done. He recommended 'speed' reading on top of the normal course of study. And yes, reading it large chunks of a time can help you notice stuff the more careful course of study doesn't always make apparent, that's why both have merit, particularly when combined.

Edited by Dravin

Yeah, he probably just skimmed the post. I've done it myself. No harm; no foul.

My daughters are about in the same place, that is about 5 chapters away from Alma 30 (which is where they should end today). My son missed a day and is finding it difficult to catch up. He's discouraged, but I told him 17 or 18 days is very good also. He read 20 chapters yesterday, and plans to read to Alma 30 today.

We'll see.

And, Rory, you don't have to read my long boring post that explained why I am doing this, but if you're going to criticize, you should read it first. As Dravin said, I am not doing what you suggested. Quite the contrary. I have learned by reading and studying the Book of Mormon in different ways we can come to know it better. Speed reading it is just one way to come to know it better. I would never suggest it is better than any other method, just complimentary to them. Good old fashioned study and in-depth pondering and praying is the primary method... agreed.

They should be finished with 3 Nephi 15 as of yesterday. My son is now 30 chapters behind. My oldest daughter was 10 chapters behind when she left to stay the night at a member-friend's house. She took her scriptures and said she wanted to get caught up. We'll see. My youngest daughter finished Alma yesterday and is 15 chapters behind.

Amazingly, when I was younger Alma was always a struggle for me too. I'm not sure if it was the size, or something else. But, now, Alma is a book I read over and over. I love Alma.

I'm starting to think they are doing this just to say they did. I think it was my fault in the way I challenged them to do it.