Appropriate Gift for Partner for Valentines

curious_believer

I am a non-member and have recently entered a relationship with member of the LDS church.

I want to find a special gift for Valentines (with Christmas being too late) and wanted some advice on appropriate jewelery.

My girlfriend and I have had several conversations about differences between LDS and Catholicism - something we do to try and give me a better understanding of her faith. She has particularly commented on how LDS focus is away from the cruxification of Christ and so there are less reference to this in the images used by the LDS church.

My question is: is a crucifix on a chain inappropriate? If so, is there something of similar religious significance that is obtainable as part of a piece of jewelery? I would like to give something to her that she can relate me when attending church, praying at home, etc.

Sorry for the long story and I hope to hear suggestions from you all (direct to my forum mailbox would be great).

:)

Curious,

My wife used to be catholic. When i was getting ready to join the military, we were first dating. She bought me a St Christopher medal, and although it had no religous value to me (I didn't even know who St Christopher was) I treasured it because it came from her and was full of thought.

Has your girlfriend told you she doesn't want a cross? While our religion doesn't use crosses in the way that others do, they are not offically (unoffically, if you ask 100 different members, I am sure you will get at least 20 different responses) forbidden. To my understanding, it boils down to choice. We chose not to use crosses because it is a symbol of how Christ died, and we want to focus on His ressurection (so why don't we use an empty tomb?) and His message.

I hope this helped.

I am a non-member and have recently entered a relationship with member of the LDS church.

I want to find a special gift for Valentines (with Christmas being too late) and wanted some advice on appropriate jewelery.

My girlfriend and I have had several conversations about differences between LDS and Catholicism - something we do to try and give me a better understanding of her faith. She has particularly commented on how LDS focus is away from the cruxification of Christ and so there are less reference to this in the images used by the LDS church.

My question is: is a crucifix on a chain inappropriate? If so, is there something of similar religious significance that is obtainable as part of a piece of jewelery? I would like to give something to her that she can relate me when attending church, praying at home, etc.

Sorry for the long story and I hope to hear suggestions from you all (direct to my forum mailbox would be great).

It would not be "inappropriate", exactly, but since the crucifix is not a part of LDS culture, she would probably feel uncomfortable wearing it to Church (and perhaps anywhere else).

What could you give her instead that has a religious feel? I am not sure. When I was a child, I was given a cheap, Crackerjack-type ring with the letters "CTR" on it, which stand for "Choose The Right". As an adult, I have noticed some other adults (usually young adults) wear an adult-sized CTR ring, quite a bit nicer than the cheapo kind I got as a child but otherwise pretty much the same look. If you Googled around you could probably find someone to sell you this. DISCLAIMER: I have no clue if she would like this. Not everyone enjoys wearing around jewelry from their childhood, and the bright green background on the CTR shield won't necessarily match any and every outfit.

It would not be "inappropriate", exactly, but since the crucifix is not a part of LDS culture, she would probably feel uncomfortable wearing it to Church (and perhaps anywhere else).

What could you give her instead that has a religious feel? I am not sure. When I was a child, I was given a cheap, Crackerjack-type ring with the letters "CTR" on it, which stand for "Choose The Right". As an adult, I have noticed some other adults (usually young adults) wear an adult-sized CTR ring, quite a bit nicer than the cheapo kind I got as a child but otherwise pretty much the same look. If you Googled around you could probably find someone to sell you this. DISCLAIMER: I have no clue if she would like this. Not everyone enjoys wearing around jewelry from their childhood, and the bright green background on the CTR shield won't necessarily match any and every outfit.

Good thinking - but I am looking for something a little less obvious. Something that could be worn in a number of scenarios without always protruding the religious undertone of the item (as crosses are in Catholicism).

I also like the St. Christopher's idea - but that (I believe) is linked directly to keeping safe while travel (a very thoughtful gift when serving in the military!). I had one as a child.

Keep up the good thoughts - Ive been stumped for days!

you can find a lot of the ctr (and other) lds type jewelry at deseretbook.com.... though it's not "fine" jewelry and a lot is geared toward teens.

there is a lot of jewelry out there with words that cover most any religion like: faith, hope, charity, love.... or symbols like angels and mustard seeds.

or my favorite: Women's CTR Ring I have the Legacy ring. It took 3 days for it to arrive after I ordered it.

Mine's the filigree. I've been wearing the same ring for 11 years now -- it's just become a part of me. When I first started wearing it, I specifically fit it to my right-hand ring finger (my right- and left-hand ring fingers are different sizes) so that when I got married -- since I was only 18 at the time -- I wouldn't have to get used to it being on the other hand.

Sitting here in my office, I have a simple home-made gift I receive back in 2002 from my beloved companion. A cut-out heart shaped red paper with a white lace. On it has our names with many kisses. Such a simple gift but is very precious to me since it was made by her hand. I had other store bought gifts but they are not hanging in my office, being in my presence as a special gift from a love one. Something to think about…

Good thinking - but I am looking for something a little less obvious. Something that could be worn in a number of scenarios without always protruding the religious undertone of the item (as crosses are in Catholicism).

I also like the St. Christopher's idea - but that (I believe) is linked directly to keeping safe while travel (a very thoughtful gift when serving in the military!). I had one as a child.

Keep up the good thoughts - Ive been stumped for days!

how about a nice heart shaped locket on a necklace with a picture of the two of you, and inscribed with your favorite scripture...that makes it religious, beautiful and personal but not obviously any denomination.

also i hear baptisms are good presents.... ;)

Another nice person gift would be if you took photos and wrote along with it to create a journal or a small book about the friendshipping and joy finding you both are currently sharing this winter. If you add little tibits of scripture along with sayings that inspire combined with poems of joy, love and friendship, well, if someone would create such a personal gift, he would have my heartstrings in his hand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...