Not doing enough?

Saturnfulcrum

I've been reading the scriptures every day (much better than a few months ago...), I pray every day, and I go to church every week. I try to feel the spirit wherever I am, but lately it feels like i've hit a 'plateau' of sorts. It feels like I'm at a standstill on my spiritual growth.

Am I not doing something right or is this normal? Should I be doing more? Should I change how I approach these things?

I've been reading the scriptures every day (much better than a few months ago...), I pray every day, and I go to church every week. I try to feel the spirit wherever I am, but lately it feels like i've hit a 'plateau' of sorts. It feels like I'm at a standstill on my spiritual growth.

Am I not doing something right or is this normal? Should I be doing more? Should I change how I approach these things?

Keep doing all you can do; you will begin to notice at some point in time; the true companionship of the Holy ghost will be with you in all things; it simply takes time to relize and understand the fullness of blessings that comes with obedience. I promise with every fiber of my soul it is true.:)

The most important thing you can do is continue to foster thoughts of inadequacy. Say to yourself: "I'm not good enough, I'm not good enough." Try and develop an unhealthy sense of guilt. Others are good, why can't you be.

Then - take that guilt and put it inside. Push it down and keep shoving down more and more guilt - holding it inside.

The above is not enough, if you are not dealing honestly with your fellow man.

I know a lot of members who do what you do, I see them in church every Sunday, but if they are not dealing fairly with their fellow man (that includes your spouse an children) it's not enough. Pay it forward.:)

So, why the focus on acts? How's your faith? How's your relationship with the Lord?

If I wanted to be closer to, say, my wife, I wouldn't necessarily get frustrated that no matter how many times I wash the windows or vaccuum the floor or shovel the walkway, I'm no closer to my wife than before. I'd go spend time with my wife...

LM

So, why the focus on acts? How's your faith? How's your relationship with the Lord?

If I wanted to be closer to, say, my wife, I wouldn't necessarily get frustrated that no matter how many times I wash the windows or vaccuum the floor or shovel the walkway, I'm no closer to my wife than before. I'd go spend time with my wife...

LM

"When Ye Are in the Service of Your Fellow Beings Ye Are Only in the Service of Your God" (Mosiah 2:17)

Going out and serving others is not only commanded, it is essential.

Guest mormonmusic

If you go to all three meetings there is going to be SOMETHING you're not doing that you should do.

Failing that, try this little exercise. Pray, read scripture, and then put on an instrumental hymn and ask the Lord what he thinks you should be doing next. Write down all the ideas that come to you and then act on them.

That'll make you stretch. You don't have to answer these, but think about these?

1. Have you done your first 4 generations of family history work?

2. Do you have a temple recommend? And if so, do you go to the temple at least once a month?

3. If male, do you hold the priesthood?

4. Do you have a calling? If not, go tell a Bishop's counselor you want one.

5. Do you volunteer for all the little projects that come up in priesthood meeting/relief society?

6. Are you a home/visiting teacher and do you see your families every month, reporting back to the right person without any follow-up from them?

7. If you have children do you teach them the gospel in their home once a week?

8. Do you have a year's supply of food? 72-hour kits?

9. Do you volunteer to work at the Bishop's storehouse?

10. Do you fast once a month and give the amount saved as a fast offering?

11. Do you go out with the missionaries, refer them to your friends, sit with new members at Church, and go out of your way to fellow ship them?

And the list goes on and on....

Serving is good, going on with what you are doing is good,keeping the above mentioned commandments is good. If you have the feeling you are doing what you should do and that you way of life is acceptable to the Lord, that's great.

But maybe this is a test of how willing you are to endure, how much you trust in doing what is good without getting a reward or affirmation immediately!

You are building a foundation for eternity. Every time you study your scriptures, every time you pray, every time you go to Church, every time you do your home teaching, every time you offer selfless service to your fellow beings -- in each case, you lay another brick on the foundation. After a time, your foundation begins to become strong, and the edifice begins to rise. But you will never, ever, ever see the completion of that edifice in this life, no matter how long you live.

The best thing you can do is to continue to build the foundation. You never grow beyond that.

Are you familiar with the book Preach My Gospel? Its really good. I recommend it. For your particular question, I recommend Chapter 6. This chapter discusses Christlike attributes. At the end of it, it has a self rating system that really helps in determining what we can do to improve spiritually. I'd check it out. Its pretty neat.