Who said the following?

jonathan.plumb

So I have two Second Coming quote questions. I have heard both of these general statements growing up but have been unable to locate who said them. I would appreciate it if anybody knows who said them, or knows if either of these quotes are completely untrue. Also, I do not know the exact quotes, so the following are just generally what I've heard:

1) Many people alive today will live to see the 2nd Coming

2) Today's children will be the generation that delivers the Church to the Savior at his 2nd Coming.

Both of these, if they are accurate, sound like something that a Prophet would say, probably not something a general authority or what-not would say. So I guess that narrows down my search a bit, but I've still had no luck. I'm starting to think they're not true.

Thanks.

When my wife was in Young Women she was at a large conference in Texas where President Kimball presided and spoke. At this conference he said that most who were in attendance at that conference would live to witness the 2nd coming of Christ.

I know that's not an official quote, nor have I given a reference. However, maybe this will give you a starting place.

Why wouldn't a general authority say this if just stating an opinion?

I don't believe either of them are opinions. I believe that whoever said them knew that they were true. That is why I think a Prophet said them, because it would be a revelation pertaining to all the children in the world. I thought Gordon B. Hinkley said the second one, but I couldn't ever find the reference.

Thanks for the possible reference for the first. I'll look into more on it.

I don't believe either of them are opinions. I believe that whoever said them knew that they were true. That is why I think a Prophet said them, because it would be a revelation pertaining to all the children in the world. I thought Gordon B. Hinkley said the second one, but I couldn't ever find the reference.

Thanks for the possible reference for the first. I'll look into more on it.

I say that because I had a Bishop say that once in one of his talks to the ward. It was his personal opinion of course.

I just happen to have the source right here: (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson [1988], 104-5)

I quote:

"God has held you in reserve to make your appearance in the final days before the second coming of the Lord. Some individuals will fall away; but the kingdom of God will remain intact to welcome the return of its head--- even Jesus Christ. While our generation will be comparable in wickedness to the days of Noah, when the Lord cleansed the earth by flood, there is a major difference this time. It is God has saved for the final inning some of His strongest children, who will help bear off the kingdom triumphantly...."

also he mentions this:

"... Make no mistake about it-- you are a marked generation. There has never been more expected of the faithful in such a short period of time than there is of us" (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson [1988], 104-5)

My apologies for quoting, clearly you are omnipotent because your wife went to a conference.

I think the word you are looking for is omniscient not omnipotent. Considering he was thanking you and giving himself a mental face-palm for thinking his wife heard something from someone 2 years after their death I'm curious why the attitude?

It's OK. I understand how hard it can be to gather someone's real intentions when just reading.

But, Dravin was right, I was dissing myself for typing the wrong name and showing that, had I thought about it 2 seconds, I would have realized what I said was wrong.

It's all good. Thanks for the quote... you are correct. Others may have said it also, but Benson definately did.

Joseph Smith prophesied to the first of the saints that many of them would live to see the second advent of Christ and so did many other prophets after. Its been said many times and this same form of conversation has been played out numerous times. Since you probably believe in the scriptures just pay attention to the sings of the times.

When the Lord returns He will make some appearances to specific groups and then culminate His return by His appearance in great power, majesty, and glory, in such a manner that all the world will see Him (see D&C 133:17–22 and 101:22–23 ). Four appearances of the Lord have had particular mention by the prophets: two of these appearances will be to the Saints; one appearance will be to the Jews; and the fourth will be His final coming to the world.

These four appearances are

• The appearance at the city of New Jerusalem (at the temple that his prepared for him)
  • The appearance at Adam-ondi-Ahman ("In this council Christ will take over the reins of government, officially, on the earth, and the kingdom and dominions, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the saints of the Most High. . . ."
  • The appearance at the Mount of Olives ("Then, behold, their long-expected Messiah, suddenly appearing, shall stand upon the Mount of Olives, a little east of Jerusalem, to fight against those nations and deliver the Jews. Zechariah says the Mount of Olives shall cleave in twain, from east to west, and one-half of the mountain shall remove to the north while the other half falls off to the south, suddenly forming a very great valley into which the Jews shall flee for protection from their enemies as they fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah, king of Judah; while the Lord cometh and all the saints with Him.")
  • The Second Coming: the appearance to the whole world ("The Lord will wear red clothing, signifying His great atoning sacrifice and also His judgments upon the wicked.")

I think it's pretty clear that none of these things have happened yet. I'd be hesitant to get too excited, since it could be a long time before any of these really start to take place. What's more, there could be years in between them.

Besides, if you really take the generation comment at face value, you have to determine which generation is being talked about. If you assume the generation that was in its teens when these statements were made (1987), then with a life expectancy of 80 years, you could be talking from 2047 - 2057 for the Second Coming.

But I'm with those that think that it's odd to hear something like this. Then again, Ezra Taft Benson and those in the 50 years before him were a lot more brash about giving their personal opinions from the pulpit than were those who have followed. I, for one, will give very little weight to what anyone says--prophet or not--about the timing of the Second Coming and focus more on understanding the events leading up to it.

Reference (See especially H-10)

Agreed marginoferror.

While I am not currently a faithful believing member of the church, the scriptures are filled with prophecies that have yet to occur. Prophets have been prophesying with the "this generation" claim since the restoration and the Lord has yet to come. If you are a believing member then stick with the prophecies in the scriptures and when you see a temple being built in Jerusalem or the building of zion, or God preaching his own sermon with the elements (think massive natural disasters, but Godly power thrown it) then you can claim that the time is near.

Sounds a bit like one of those "I saw the three Nephites at Walmart!" stories.

Not likely...how many of those who 'claimed' to witness the three or others who are also immortal, pertaining of the order of Enoch and Melchizedek, including others on the order of the likeness of John the Beloved, can even state the names or described them? I have met only handfuls of members who indeed have met these types of people. The commonality between them all who indeed had such a precious visitation, have an implicit connotation to a tasking within this world.

I just happen to have the source right here: (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson [1988], 104-5)

I quote:

"God has held you in reserve to make your appearance in the final days before the second coming of the Lord. Some individuals will fall away; but the kingdom of God will remain intact to welcome the return of its head--- even Jesus Christ. While our generation will be comparable in wickedness to the days of Noah, when the Lord cleansed the earth by flood, there is a major difference this time. It is God has saved for the final inning some of His strongest children, who will help bear off the kingdom triumphantly...."

also he mentions this:

"... Make no mistake about it-- you are a marked generation. There has never been more expected of the faithful in such a short period of time than there is of us" (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson [1988], 104-5)

How true...