I could do with some helpful suggestions please.

WillowTheWhisp

Bishop taught our Relief Society lesson yesterday and told the sisters that we must sustain the Priesthood by instructing and edifying them. In my new calling as R. S. Meetings Co-ordinator I 've been given the task of organising monthly additional Relief Society meetings (the ones we used to call enrichment night or homemaking) and in Feb it is to be all about building up the Priesthood, but I am totally out of my depth and need some help and inspiration for this please.

I have spent all my life in the Church being taught that Relief Society operates under the direction of the Priesthood so this new idea of the sisters instructing the Priesthood is so radical to me that I feel completely lost and confused. I can't get out of the long ingrained understanding that the Bishop receives inspiration for the whole ward too, so when he also said he needs us to receive inspiration for him I feel so inadequate.

I know things have to change to prepare us for the millenium and Bishop told me last week I need to have more faith but the more I pray about it the more confused I become so I am hoping somebody else out there can give me an idea or two that might spark off something in me.

I will be very grateful. Thank you.

I hate to leave you out in the cold but I too am at a loss. I remember the Stake RS Pres in a Stake Correlation meeting say the she wanted to stop all the “extra” stuff and get back to the basics. So, enrichment night was gone. She also suggested that the men not play basketball on Tuesday morning and Thursday evening. Something about the church being for spiritual growth or something.

I’ve read the talk the sister gave at conference and I don’t see the radical change I’ve heard about in that talk. I love the gospel and this is the Lords church. But I also feel there is room for social interaction and social development.

What you have asked is news to me. My wife has helped me with all I do in every position I have been called to serve in. She is always there to help me understand, or if I just want to bounce an idea off of her. She supports and sustains me in my service. So, in a very general way, I suppose that is sustaining, instructing and edifying you ask about.

Emma Smith came to mind when reading your post without her objection to spittoons etc and being left to clean up the mess after priesthood meetings, Joseph Smith would never have received D&C89 - the hymn book she produced will have inspired countless priesthood holders she will have done that with inspiration and revelation.

I also know I suggested something to a missionary once that he took away with him suggested it to the mission and stake president and it happened, it had just been a throwaway comment. I have also twice asked or suggested to the Bishop/Branch President I would love a certain calling and received it the next week lol. Yesterday in the car my daughter and I started talking about the dreams we had had this week - which lead my husband to drive a different way, when we arrived at a spot further on the journey realised we had a missed a nasty accident because of the short detour. We are all entitled to revelation.

I feel the best way I uplift and edify the priesthood is by having FHE, family councils, going to Sunday lessons prepared, preparing any lessons I teach, encouraging my husband to do his HT and baking him things to take with him, or helping him remember birthdays of people he is serving.

A suggestion maybe to concerntrate on Family organisation, with the 2 callings I had until recently that is the focus I felt would achieve greater spirit and unity all round, if our homes are organised we have more time for spirituality which helps us receive revelation and inspiration. Maybe encourage FHE in a box, basically a box which has everything you need to produce FHE easily and quickly, talk about putting together agendas for family meetings. encourage prayer and scripture study at home - these things will edify the priesthood holders in our home and increase the Sisters spirituality and ability to listen to the spirit. Or maybe a meditation class - relaxation to calm the mind and listen to the Lord. Single Sisters can still have FHE and meditate, prioritise their themselves better etc

I hate to leave you out in the cold but I too am at a loss. I remember the Stake RS Pres in a Stake Correlation meeting say the she wanted to stop all the “extra” stuff and get back to the basics. So, enrichment night was gone.

I remember being told something like that too and I don't think it just came from Stake level. I'm sure I heard a General Authority say we need to cut out all the unnecessary stuff and concentrate on the really important things.

Single Sisters can still have FHE and meditate, prioritise their themselves better etc

Oh yes I understand that but that is about uplifting and edifying those single sisters. What I need to do is involve the single sisters in instructing the Priesthood. That's where I'm struggling.

I've had times when I have had personal revelation and on more than one occasion it has affected my family too - such as the day we were looking for information about one of my late husband's ancestors, but I have never been aware that we are supposed to get revelation for the Bishop and instruct him on how to do things. That just seems totally contrary to what I've been taught for years. So I'm finding it all very confusing.

Oh yes I understand that but that is about uplifting and edifying those single sisters. What I need to do is involve the single sisters in instructing the Priesthood. That's where I'm struggling.

I think thats my point when I am uplifted and edified, when my home is organised, that is when I have been able to go to my Bishop/Branch President, Mission Leader etc and say is this a good idea? Or I feel strongly about this, or I would like to serve in this area - have only ever had one that wasn't open to ideas from other people. Ultimately the decision and responsibility is theirs - and trick is not to be offended if they say no

Might be good to have the Bishop explain to you or speak to the Sisters about what he finds helpful

I remember being told something like that too and I don't think it just came from Stake level. I'm sure I heard a General Authority say we need to cut out all the unnecessary stuff and concentrate on the really important things.

I've had times when I have had personal revelation and on more than one occasion it has affected my family too - such as the day we were looking for information about one of my late husband's ancestors, but I have never been aware that we are supposed to get revelation for the Bishop and instruct him on how to do things. That just seems totally contrary to what I've been taught for years. So I'm finding it all very confusing.

I believe the Single Sisters could help the priesthood of same caliber; those who are single also.

When I was called to a stake position for the Young Adults years ago, I had a wonderful first councilor who was a sister. She kept me on toes and helped me in becoming a better leader for that position. She was remarkable person who did not fail in her calling but magnified it being filled with the pure love of Christ. Many instances she kept remaindering me of what is needed to be done and why. This came many times in a regional and stake meetings in helping those of our peers. I still can see her lovely Hawaiian face as it is now over 30-years ago. She will never be forgotten.

Well he just gave us this lesson in Relief Society yesterday and seems to be leaving the ball in our court now to come up with things. I don't know what he finds helpful or even if he knows what he is expecting from us.

maybe go to him with what you want to do - whether its the idea of increasing sisters ability to receive revelation or another idea and ask him what he thinks

Maybe increasing self worth and confidence of Sisters to receive revelation and to speak out might be useful

Thanks Elgama - you seem to be just about where I am, thinking of what the sisters can work onto uplift the sisters and the priesthood holders need to be worked on by the Bishop or priesthood leaders, but unfortunately I wasn't joking and neither was our Bishop when he said he wants us sisters to instruct the priesthood and make them stronger because they have never been up to much.

Thinking about the Priesthood holders in our ward though (a very small ward with only a few priesthood holders) I really don't see them that way and we have had some spiritual giants in the past who have either died or moved away from the area (even emmigated)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick thought:

Have you known many priesthood holders that did all they could/should without the woman behind them pushing them onward? :) That's just a funny for you...

but seriously think about it. Heavenly Father gave women very special abilities to lift, to persuade, to urge, to instruct and to edify. There are great men but quite often they are great because of the women who stand beside them. (No offense to the men.)