It's Official...I'm Past It

Churchmouse

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed an editorial department responsible for developing curriculum for one of the state's technology colleges. I needed to hire another editor, which was a fairly rigorous process for two reasons: 1) I tested the bejeepers out of all of the applicants to make sure they knew the basics of curriculum development, as well as proper punctuation, spelling, grammar, etc. If they failed my tests, it ended there.

I had one applicant who passed with flying colors and who had impaccable experience. This woman put me to shame, and I was a very good curriculum writer.

So, to me, horribly overworked and crumbling becuase I kept having to re-do my editor's work because they didn't do it right the first time, having a person in my office that I didn't have to babysite was to die for.

2) Once I made my decision, my applicant had to intereviewed by the Board of Directors. I thought it went swimmingly, but afterwards, I was told no, I could not hire her.

There was no effort to hide the reason why. This woman was middle-aged.

In response to my protestations (outrage), they came up with every excuse imaginable as to how she couldn't possibly do her job as good as a younger person could. And even if she could, the younger person would learn, and thus stay with the college longer.

It was absurd. I tried to explain to them how it was insane to not hire this woman, but they refused to readdress her application. The twinkie I ended up having to hire made my job worse, not better.

In all of my years as a manager, I always wanted the older applicant, because they not only worked harder, they made sure their work was accurate. And all without me having to shadow them every step of the way.

But, today, with jobs so scare, they can turn anyone away they want, and unfortunately, that is often the older applicant. I can't breathe when I think of how that must feel.

Good luck.

Elphaba

UGH! That had to have been absolutely maddening! Now, if they'd been smarter, and wiser, they would have recognized that woman's value, both present and future, hired her, and then let her train her replacement whenever that time came.

I had my own experiences with the interview process at a university a couple years ago though. Both times I thought things went exceptionally well, with those interviewing me appearing to be highly impressed, and more so with each of my answers to the questions they posed.

But, while waiting to hear back on the first job, I happened to meet an alumnus who had studied and worked in that department himself (agricultural department). He told me he wished me luck, but not to expect to be hired, as he knew well how political the system there was. He said that, while, by law they must publicly advertise their positions and interview all qualified applicants, they already know who they want before they even begin the process.

I was disappointed to hear that, and more disappointed when I didn't get that first job. Then afterward I happened to meet a second alumnus of that same department, and in the course of conversation we discussed what I had been told by the first, and he was in absolute agreement.

I kept that in mind when I applied for the second position a few months later, in spite of being even more qualified for it than I'd been for the first. I also went to check out the facilities, and met the man I would be replacing, if I was hired. We hit it off so well we spent hours together conversing about the industry, the job, and with he showing me around and asking me questions. He was so impressed at the extent of my knowledge that he said he was going to recommend me as his replacement. But, alas, I didn't get that job either.

Of course they don't tell you why they didn't hire you in their letters informing you they filled the positions, only thank you for your interest. So I could only guess at the possible reasons, though nothing I was able to come up with had anything to do with my qualifications, experience, or abilities. So who knows?

I kept that in mind when I applied for the second position a few months later, in spite of being even more qualified for it than I'd been for the first. I also went to check out the facilities, and met the man I would be replacing, if I was hired. We hit it off so well we spent hours together conversing about the industry, the job, and with he showing me around and asking me questions. He was so impressed at the extent of my knowledge that he said he was going to recommend me as his replacement. But, alas, I didn't get that job either.

Unbelievable. Truly. Unbelievable.

Elphaba

Well, I am 22 though many have told me I look younger and many have also told me I act older. :P

Mentally I feel much, much older. I think I must have an old spirit, because people have always told me I'm very mature for my age and I feel like an 80 year old trapped in a young body (not such a bad thing but can be annoying when people don't want to take you seriously because of your age).

Anyway, that brings to thought another question- How old do you feel? Not judging by the aches and pains and wear on your body, but on your mentality, emotional and spiritual growth.

I was reading the posts about older/more qualified people getting passed over and have something to add. My fiance recently graduated from college with a psych degree and is looking for work, but he keeps getting passed over by people who already know how to fill out the federally-mandated paperwork PSR workers have to do. These people are typically in their middle 40s, women, and oozing experience lol. Bad enws for my guy, but good news there are employers who value experience with all other factors being equal.

Actually, true story, when I worked in medical insurance, I had a man get horribly upset with me because we had denied his pre-authorization for a breast reduction stating it was cosmetic.

Well seeing as people are still sort of going on about ages, I'm 19, but most people who meet me think I'm in my 20's. I don't feel 19 either, I've always felt older, not sure why.

I teach swimming to little kids and some of them are too young to understand, the other day one called me Mrs... that made me feel old :P