Party Bites

BrotherBear

Last night I attended a fellowship party with a friend and my girlfriends. Well, evidently one of my girlfriends brought a friend (she's non-LDS) and he had been drinking. As we all posed for a photo shot he bit me (not hard) on my back and it really freaked me out. Also we had a chiminea going and he kept talking about roasting my cat making me really uncomfortable. It made me really uncomfortable but I'm not sure how to deal with my non-LDS friend. She's expressed interest in LDS and I'm afraid if I approach her I'll end up rubbing salt in the wound. Got any ideas?

This doesn't seem to be about religion as much as just plain boorish behavior. I'd just tell my friend that you're sure the guy's very nice when he's sober, but you don't much care for him when he's buzzed and if he shows up like that again, you're leaving.

If he does anything like that to you again (based on your profile, you appear to be in Utah) you probably have grounds for a civil stalking injunction. You can apply for one without a lawyer--there just need to be two separate, threatening/annoying instances.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Could be just me, but I think someone biting you and talking about roasting a cat has nothing to do with religion or even religious preference. That could freak anyone out.

So it would depend on what you think about your friend because of him, as far as if she agrees that kind of behavior is acceptable, drunk or not. But then that's still a personal issue rather than religion. But anyway... unless you're going to be seeing your friend's friend more often, I don't see it being a problem in the future.

If he does anything like that to you again (based on your profile, you appear to be in Utah) you probably have grounds for a civil stalking injunction. You can apply for one without a lawyer--there just need to be two separate, threatening/annoying instances.

Right on. Roasting a cat is not only against the Utah Health Code, but is also non-kosher. Biting on the back whether at partys, church or the office should always be discouraged.

Was the drunk friend aware that everyone else there was part of a religious gathering?

I've been around missionaries a lot over the past 15 years, despite my not attending church during that time-- I'd be at my uncle and aunt's house while the missionaries stoped over for dinner or something.

One thing I have noticed that really annoys me, is that non-LDS people (and sometimes even non-active members) really enjoy "messing" with religious people. People who are normally very well behaved will act out more (even sober) just because missionaries or church people are around. I guess its a form of rebellion, showing off, or just trying to get a rise out of/shock them. Alcohol or no, if the guy knew it was a church activity, this could have been the case.

One night, when I was at my aunt and uncle's for dinner, and the missionaries were there, my cousin (she's not my aunt/uncle's daughter, but their niece) was also staying over. When the male missionaries got there, my cousin ran up to the guest bedroom and changed into some mini shorts and a skimpy tank top, then came prancing back downstairs in front of them! I couldn't believe her! She kept flirting with them too, and my aunt eventually had to pull her off to the side and tell her to go upstairs, and not come back down until they were gone.

But normally, she never did stuff like that! People do it to priests too, sometimes. So I'm sure church people, epsecially missionaries, see it all the time. But they just learn to blow it off, or stay away from those people.

I agree that you should talk to your friend about this. I like the first idea of attacking the alcohol, rather than the guy who bit you. That way its nothing personal.

Edited by Melissa569

One thing I have noticed that really annoys me, is that non-LDS people (and sometimes even non-active members) really enjoy "messing" with religious people.

Guilty. Every time a meet a member who doesn't know me and they explain they are Mormon i respond with. "Your the ones with all the wives right?"

(I do it out of love, me and my friends used to constantly play practical jokes on each other.Think that 70s show)

I would never take it as far as you example, i would look horrible in daisy dukes:o,

But biting is bad, especially from a hygiene stand point.

But you look so feisty!

I would have turned around and bit him back! But what a weirdo, seriously. I probably would have shouted WTF and punched him. I don't like people touching me.. At all.. To point though, it's never fun when one person is buzzed or smashed and everyone else is sober. It just starts to get really annoying with their obnoxious behaviour.

Biting others is something children in pre-school do and get punished for.

It is not something young adults do. I would steer clear of him drunk or not. Whether he was drunk or not, he is still someone you need to be careful around. Alcohol doesn't make nice people do bad or inappropriate things. It is used as an excuse to do bad or inappropriate things.