Sushi!!

nbblood

My introduction to Japanese food came from a friend who had served his mission in Japan many years ago. Later when working in Los Angeles, people from our office frequently ate lunch in Little Tokyo.

While on balance, Japanese is my least favorite of oriental foods, I still like it. When I first tried sushi I selected the ones without raw fish. Inari Zushi was great for that. Now I like all types.

I like to add wasabi and instead of the pickled ginger in between bites, I like to put it on top of the wasabi to add a hot 'n sweet taste.

You know it is a major misconception that all sushi is raw fish. Much of it is cooked. Sushi refers to the rice preparation with which the fish is served. If it is just fish, without the rice, then it is Sashimi. Just off the top of my head, the shrimp, lobster, eel, some egg.....are cooked.....oh and some of the salmon is smoked.

Anyway, there are plenty of Sushi options that aren't "raw fish". Of course some of the very best ones are!

Just one correction... "If it is just fish, wothout the rice, then it is Sashimi" is not quite accurate.

Sashimi is raw seafood. Sushi is the spiced rice. You can have sashimi on sushi - sashimi usually comes with sushi.

My favorite sushi is the tropical roll. I recommend this to first-timers. Actually for the very first sushi taste, the california roll is the perfect intro - made with steamed crab, avocado, and cucumber. They sell this in the groceries in Florida. Dunno in other states.

Tropical roll is made out of california roll with cream cheese draped with mango and kiwi on top. It is really good.

The restaurant I usually go to makes tropical roll with the steamed crab, cucumber, avocado, and mango inside, then draped with salmon, tuna, red snapper on top, then garnished with kiwi slices on top of that. It is DELISH!

My favorite sushi is the tropical roll. I recommend this to first-timers. Actually for the very first sushi taste, the california roll is the perfect intro - made with steamed crab, avocado, and cucumber. They sell this in the groceries in Florida. Dunno in other states.

Tropical roll is made out of california roll with cream cheese draped with mango and kiwi on top. It is really good.

Now those do sound good. I'd be willing to try some of the sushi..as long as I know the fish isn't raw.

Just one correction... "If it is just fish, wothout the rice, then it is Sashimi" is not quite accurate.

Sashimi is raw seafood. Sushi is the spiced rice. You can have sashimi on sushi - sashimi usually comes with sushi.

The restaurant I usually go to makes tropical roll with the steamed crab, cucumber, avocado, and mango inside, then draped with salmon, tuna, red snapper on top, then garnished with kiwi slices on top of that. It is DELISH!

Yes, when the fish and the rice are served together, they are commonly referred to as "sushi". When the fish is alone, it is "sashimi". Basically we're saying the same thing. I was just being simplified for our non-sushi-enthusiast friends.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a Tropical Roll and thought I'd take a picture to show y'all how yummy this thing is!

You'll see the tuna, salmon, strawberry, and kiwi slices in this shot.

Posted Image

Edited by anatess

• 8 months later...
Guest Kamperfoelie

Do you guys get Group*n.com over there in the States? (wont advertise and call it by name). I know theres one for most European countries.

It's a website where you buy vouchers ahead of time for a meal out, and get like 50% off the regular price. Whenever they've got an offer for any kind of sushi-place ill buy shameless amounts of vouchers :D

The way you look at Sushi changes dramatically once you have experienced the "dark side". After one Anisakis event in your life you won't ever want to get close to sushi again....

Parasites

Heavy Metal Poisoning

Bacterial caused food poisoning

Candida backlash after treatment to remove parasites has been performed.

All About Worms

Dangers of Sushi - What Are the Dangers and Risks of Eating Sushi?

EATING RAW FISH - THE DANGERS - NYTimes.com

Laugh out loud. I'm Asian and I don't like fish, let alone, sushi..

And yeh, the whole parasitic worm thing really grosses me out. But none of that has stopped my sister from eating raw and cooked sushi. She's a sushi muncher.

And yeh, the whole parasitic worm thing really grosses me out. But none of that has stopped my sister from eating raw and cooked sushi. She's a sushi muncher.

Salmonella doesn't keep people from eating raw eggs and E. Coli doesn't keep some people from eating raw beef or undercooked ground beef. Heck considering some of the scares from E. Coli you should bleach your spinach. :D

Every time we eat there is a risk of food borne illness, particularly if we are eating out (though not all odds are equal), different folks weigh things differently in the risk/reward categories.

Edited by Dravin

Guest Kamperfoelie

id agree that food hygiene is a must when you're eating sushi, but then isnt it that way with all foods?

I once sat in a grill restaurant in Portugal and we had been given the table right beneath the bug zapper. It was raining crunchy bits onto my plate the whole time we were there :( i still like grill restaurants though :lol:

Salmonella doesn't keep people from eating raw eggs and E. Coli doesn't keep some people from eating raw beef or undercooked ground beef. Heck considering some of the scares from E. Coli you should bleach your spinach. :D

Every time we eat there is a risk of food borne illness, particularly if we are eating out (though not all odds are equal), different folks weigh things differently in the risk/reward categories.

You're right, Dravin.

It's amazing I'm still alive after living in the Philippines and other numerous southeast Asian countries that have poor food preparation and, erm, unique food choices to begin with! Fortunately for me, I don't eat meat so I think my chances of getting E. Coli are very very slim! Oh wait.. I do like spinach though! :D

• 8 months later...
Guest Sachi001

Alright for you who can't fathom the thought of sushi. Here is something to try and think about in context to eating it next time. Instead of doing sushi with rice. Do it sashimi style (no rice).

Take the flesh of the fish and season it in your favorite seasoning with salt. Such as some salt, peppercorns, ans sesame seed mixture. Then lightly sear the meat on a hot grill in oil for 20 seconds or less each side. It will be more on the rare to medium side like steak. Thus more enjoyable.

• 5 years later...
On 2010-01-13 at 10:26 AM, theoriginalavatar said:

A few things regarding sushi:

1. I will NOT eat it with friends or associates present. It is embarassing. My love for sushi creates in me an INHUMAN desire to consume all that is present. I cannot resist. If I am sharing sushi with people (and this RARELY happens), and there is a piece left on the plate, I will NOT offer it to anyone. I have to eat it. I have no choice. Agency flies out the window in the face of the beauty of sushi.

2. If any of you wish to visit Vegas, I will show you where the best sushi restaurants are in the world (outside of Japan itself), and you may feel free to purchase as much of it as possible for my well being. I will love you forever.

Now I feel better! I was visit teaching yesterday, I ate about 40 crackers while the sister bemoaned being overweight, but refused to diet!, while I ate the crackers and tried to urge her to diet!

On 2010-10-24 at 2:46 PM, Bini said:

Laugh out loud. I'm Asian and I don't like fish, let alone, sushi..

But Bini...you do not look Asian! LOL

Edited by Sunday21

• 8 months later...
On 1/14/2010 at 2:18 AM, pam said:

I will admit..I have never had sushi. There is just something about eating raw fish that turns me off. I wish I was as adventurous as some of the rest of you.

Many people think that “sushi” is synonymous with raw fish. Not so – the term actually refers to the vinegared rice. This is made by dissolving sugar in vinegar (usually rice vinegar) and tossing with the hot, just-cooked rice. Sushi therefore refers to vinegared rice served with other ingredients which may or may not include fish (which in turn may be raw or cooked). The vinegared rice itself is referred to as shari. Raw fish served by itself without the rice is called sashimi.   https://kitchen-myths.com/2011/03/30/sushi-means-raw-fish/

Do you wish to change your answer, based on further light and knowledge? :tongueflower: