How Does The Church Deal With Bad Spirits?

I’m just curious what Mormon religious leaders (bishops and the like) and/or missionaries think about bad spirits, or maybe even ghosts? I’m not 100% sure weather “ghosts” exist (although I have experienced some VERY creepy things). But I KNOW there are evil spirits.

So if a home is having trouble with unpleasant spirits, what does the church do? Do they perform blessings in the home, or on a person? Do they take any kind of action against it? Or do they prefer people just ignore it to smother it out? I really don’t hear a whole lot about this with LDS, so I was just curious.

That’s pretty much the majority of my question. But for those who are interested in ghost stories, below, I will post the more specific reasons for wanting answers to this question, via my own personal experiences.

Most of these things happened in my grandmother’s house, as it usually does. There are always lots of problems there, these stories are very common occurrences:

Incident #1 (1999)-- I was staying at my grandma’s house one summer (on my mom‘s side), when I was 18. Several of her grandchildren live with her, because their parents were in jail. Grandma told me she was going to go pick up the kids from school. I said “ok”. I sat there waiting alone in the large, old, 2-story, 4-bedroom house. I was on the couch in the living room, watching TV. My only company was the family dog Cody (a large, brown pit bull mix), who was laying at my feet. Suddenly, I heard a loud thump coming from upstairs. I muted the TV, and listened. Then I heard distinct, heavy footsteps walking down the upstairs hallway (which is just above the living room). Cody heard it too-- he jolted upright and looked toward the top of the stairs. I heard one of the bedroom doors creek… So I thought somebody might be up there. I was kinda scared, but I ventured upstairs to check. I searched the rooms (closets, under the beds), checked all the window locks, etc. NOTHING. All was secure. So I went back downstairs and resumed my seat on the couch, Cody once again sitting at my feet. But this time, he wouldn’t relax… He was tense, sitting upright, and staring at the top of the stairs. Then he started growling, low and rumbly. He made his way toward the stairs very slowly, his back hairs raised. When he reached the bottom step, he paused, barking and snarling viciously! Again, I muted the TV and yelled out “HELLO??” ….. Then I heard BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! All the upstairs bedroom doors had slammed shut hard, one after the other. I completely freaked! Cody whimpered and ran over to me, and hid behind me. So I grabbed his collar and ran out of the house, probably faster than I‘ve ever run before. I sat on the curb outside the driveway, and didn’t go back in until grandma got back with the kids. It wasn’t the first time something like that happened, and to this day, I refuse to be alone in that house. I didn't tell grandma about it though, because she thinks spiritual stuff is just rediculous. Which is why nobody has ever been called in to bless the house, she probably wouldn't go for it.

Incident #2 (1999)-- This happened a few months before the above incident. My cousin Nichole and I were at my grandma’s house. Grandma had taken the younger kids to Marine World, so me and Nichole were alone. We were in the back yard, by the pool. Nichole was practicing tricks on her skateboard, on the cement. I was relaxing on the white wicker patio furniture. Suddenly we heard a very loud, low, male voice yell out, “NICHOLE!” from the window at the top of the staircase. We both turned to look and we saw a very tall, very thin man standing in the window. He wore a black coat with a white under shirt. He had black hair and a mustache. Nichole and I looked at each other and I said, “Did you see that??” She said yes, and described the same thing I saw. We looked back up again, but there was nothing there. Now, keep in mind, this man’s head was way up at the top of the window, and it’s a LONG window! A person would have to be nearly 8 feet tall for their head to be that far up the window. We both ran inside, to see if someone was there. We checked around, but there was nobody. It really freaked us out.

Incident #3 (1995)-- This happened when I was 14 years old. It was mid-August. Me and my 3 cousins (all a few years younger than me) were helping out with cleaning grandma’s house. I was not an active member at this time, and none of my cousins had ever been to church, much less read any bible. Our grandma asked us to sort through some of the junk in the old chest in the back closet, and throw out anything that was broken or useless. So there we were, going through a few old items, when we ran across an old Ouija board. It was still in the cardboard box, along with the curser. We took it out and decided to play around with it. We sat in a circle around it, gently resting our fingers on the curser. I didn’t actually touch it, because I didn’t want to be accused of moving it. We had this silly little “concentrating” moment, and then we asked it if there were any spirits in the room, and the curser pointed to “yes”. So we asked a few more questions:

Are you someone we used to know?-- No.

Did you pass away recently?-- No.

Are there any messages you have for loved ones? -- No.

Have you ever been alive on earth before?-- No.

Are you an older spirit?-- Yes.

Are you an angel, or a messenger of god?-- No.

Where are you from? -- G-E-H-E-N-N-A

I wrote the letters down on a piece of paper, and since none of us had ever heard of such a place before, we assumed it was either a silly nonsense word, or one of us must have been messing around. At the time, my dad and I lived in the same town. After I went home, I told my dad what we did, and he looked at me like he was disappointed. He went to bible college, and he is very religious (a baptized member, but not active). He knows a lot about the bible, and is very spiritual and liberal-minded. But he does not approve of stuff like that. Right away, he told me “You shouldn’t be playing around with those things.” Well, I told my dad about all the questions we asked and the responses. Then I told him about the name of the supposed location we were given… He looked at me kind of puzzled and asked, “Wait a minute… How was it spelled?” I showed him the piece of paper I wrote it down on. He looked at me like he was concerned. I shrugged and said, “What??”. He stood up, walked over to the end table, opened the drawer and pulled out our Bible. He flipped to the “concordance” as he called it, and looked around for a minute. Then he walked over and laid the book in my lap, pointing to the word “Gehenna”. Basically, one of its definitions was another name for ‘hell’. I looked at dad kinda freaked out, and he told me, “Like I said, you shouldn’t be playing around with those things. Don‘t do that again.” And I haven’t.

I’m just saying, I think something is up in that house. If people get out of there, they are peaceful, happy, friendly…. But when they go in that house, they fight and yell constantly, and say the meanest things. Even get physical.

Edited by Melissa569

Back in the mid-late 1800's, as there was a bout of miracles and angels and all sorts of manefestations, that included an exercism or two. We have a few accounts along the lines of apostles on missions encountering demons and driving them away.

I haven't heard of any sort of official casting out or exercism in the last 130 years. And apart from enjoying a good actual ghost story, I haven't really formed any opinions on the matter myself.

LM

In high school, we had a spirit in our house. We had the bishop (and I think one other leader - can't remember who) come in. They had us open every door and they gave a loud prayer, asking the spirit to leave in the name of Jesus Christ.

We also have the power to revoke evil spirits ourselves. Sometimes we need to get a leader, like in the above story, but we can do it on our own. When I was a child, my uncle stayed with us while he was getting involved in a cult. It made our house very contentious and everyone consantly fought. One day, my mom was doing dishes when an evil spirit manifested itself. (Not visually, but anyone who has felt evil knows what I'm talking about.) She went to the bedroom, knelt down, raised her arm to the square and ordered the spirit to leave in the name of Jesus Christ. It did.

I also knew a bishop who did an exorcism, but he didn't give any details.

yeah, I've heard that too about being able to chase the spirits off ourselves. Never tried it on a household level, only on a personal one, and it worked.

I don't know if you've experiences this, but my father and I have, and I've heard many, many other people describe the same exact thing, so it must be legit--

Ever been laying in your bed at night, and it feels like something dark and heavy is hovering over you? Like it pins you down to the bed, you can't move, you can't breathe, you can't scream... And it feels like its trying to get inside you or something? My dad and I call that a "demon attack".

I had my first one when I was 6. We had just moved to germany (U.S. military family). We had to live one year in a German house/neighborhood. During the time in that house, there were a lot of problems with demon attacks (just me and my dad, for some odd reason). Again, as I said in the above story, my dad is very religious and went to bible college. I was a Daddy's girl, so he and I were very close. I of course wasn't baptized yet. One night, I had a demon attack--

I looked up and saw it, it came over to me and sat at the foot of my bed. At first I was able to move, so I tried to recoil. Then it grabbed my ankle, and glared at me-- when it touched me, I was practically mute and paralyzed. It was a dark figure, and the face was pale with black and red eyes (black around the outside, red where the color should be). There was nothing good in those eyes, they were pure evil, it seemed. It just starred me down, and very slowly leaned over me, inching its way closer to my face. I was terrified! I shut my eyes tight, for a second, then opened them-- it was still there, and even closer! So I closed them, and didn't open them for several minutes. When I looked again, it was gone. I could finally move and talk. So I jumped out of bed and ran into my parents room. I woke my dad up and told him what happened. He explained what it was. Then he took me downstairs to the livingroom, turned on the lights and sat up with me for a while..

He said "I know its scary when that happens, but you can't let them have power over you. You have to be brave, even if you don't really feel brave. They have no right to be there, if you don't want them there. You can tell them to go away. Close your eyes if it makes you less afraid, but say over and over "In the name of Jesus Christ, I comand you to leave". If you can't say it, then think it. Or you can say "thank you god, thank you Jesus" over again in your mind, for allowing you to see that spirits and the afterlife are real. Because if there are demons, there are angels and god too. But a demon doesn't want to stay around, if you are praying."

So next time it happened, I did what my dad said, and it worked!! I felt more powerful. Unfortunatly, it started happening all the time, like they were trying to mess with me. After I got baptized, it stopped for a long, long time. And when ever it did happen, it was much easier, for some reason, to tell them to leave. I woudl only have to say it once, instead of repeating it. My dad said it happens often to religious people, because the devil is trying to make them feel weak with fear.

Edited by Melissa569

Evil canott exsist when good spirit is abundant; it can and does try; but when we excersise our power of prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, evil canott stay; sometimes things do get carried away in our minds too, i,ve had this happen before and it seems very,very, real; dont dwell on it; thats what satan wants you to do; keep yourself spiritual and you wont have a problem.:)

When I was attending Ricks College aka BYU-I, I lived in a house with 7 other roommates. 2 bedrooms and 2 sets of bunkbeds in each room. The room I was in..everyone of us felt something evil or just not right when we tried sleeping in one of the beds. We finally called a counselor from our branch presidency over to bless our house and that bedroom. We were worried that he would think we were crazy..but he didn't at all. He blessed the room and not once did we feel that again while we lived there.

My Mom had an experience where one of her friends got possessed by a demon after her and a bunch of friends were playing a card game which was introduced by a boyfriend of one of the friends. Basically I don't like to play with cards, especially the Jack of Spades...I can tell the full story later but it is mad creepy and real.

Another one was when my Mom had an astral projection attack, where a master of dark arts projected himself right into my Mom's bedroom hovering over her. Us kids in the family all felt something wrong that night and we basically all called her at the same time.

Ever been laying in your bed at night, and it feels like something dark and heavy is hovering over you? Like it pins you down to the bed, you can't move, you can't breathe, you can't scream... And it feels like its trying to get inside you or something? My dad and I call that a "demon attack".

Ever studied sleep paralysis? You might find it interesting

So there we were, going through a few old items, when we ran across an old Ouija board. It was still in the cardboard box, along with the curser. We took it out and decided to play around with it. We sat in a circle around it, gently resting our fingers on the curser. I didn’t actually touch it, because I didn’t want to be accused of moving it. We had this silly little “concentrating” moment, and then we asked it if there were any spirits in the room, and the curser pointed to “yes”. So we asked a few more questions

Playing around with Ouija boards is not something that anyone should be doing. Even those who are strong in their religious beliefs can unintentionally let something through the board, rarely are these "things" friendly!!!

It always amazes me the danger people put themselves in out of ignorance and or disbelief. The whole "it wont/couldn't" happen to me.

I know about sleep paralysis but also belief that there are things that cannot be explained and are more menacing than sleep paralysis.

Even things like catastrophic events bring various feelings. Take major WW2 battle sites for example. People always talk about the things they feel in such places. It wouldn't surprise me if Satan and some of his minions take advantage of these things to replace faith with fear and break us down.

Thankfully we are blessed with the presence of the authority as it was in the days of Christ and can thus deal with them. Personally I can't think of a time when I was exposed to such things, however I have had conversations with very sincere people about it and so I still figure they happen.

Guest mirancs8

Interesting post. I myself have always been a very "hyper-sensitive" person so my experiences with spirits are common. I never invited them but they seem to find me. I am very lucky to have never experienced an evil / demonic spirit.

One of my experiences was in my mothers home when I was about 15. Each time I stepped on the 3rd step up I would get poked in my side. After a few months I started to get really annoyed since "she" (I knew she was a female) kept poking me harder. Finally one day she poked me and I told her, "look you and I reside in this house and though I might not know why you are here it doesn't mean you have to poke me every time I step on this step. Live with the fact that I'm here and I won't bother you!" She stopped. I returned to my mothers home this Thanksgiving and guess what "she" poked me again! I was laughing and told her I was glad to see her again too.

My father in law passed away a few years ago and he visits me often. Never says anything but I do actually see him. In my new house I just see flashes of him in my living room and he's always in my bedroom when I go to sleep. He was a very warm and humble man who died in much pain and unhappiness so I know I need to help him assent. I'm just waiting to find out what is unresolved with him and with whom.

I've done a lot of research on this topic since I seem to have that ability and you do have control. You have to be sure NEVER to invite a spirit in. When you invite a spirit it's like another is right behind it. Suddenly you'll have more and it will be out of control. Within that group of spirits one can be evil and can lodge itself in your own body (possession). I knew someone who would intentionally invite spirits and it got really bad. Something they thought was really neat turned out to be very scary. It was out of my scope and they needed a major intervention (house blessing etc.).

If for any reason you have a spirit in the home just speak out loud. Tell the spirit that this is your home and though you don't know it's story and why it's there that you wish to be left alone. If they are a good spirit they will leave you alone or just do stuff to get your attention once in a while. Stand your ground. I personally believe spirits have unresolved issues or concerns that they are wanting to deal with before they assent.

Being someone who doesn't invite them it get's overwhelming at times. You don't want to make a perfect storm in your home. Do what you have to so they will stay out. No need to complicate your home life. Since I'm not a member of the church I don't know how they handle these things. I just wanted to provide you will some real life experience and advice.;)

Guest mirancs8

Melissa569 WROTE: So there we were, going through a few old items, when we ran across an old Ouija board. It was still in the cardboard box, along with the curser. We took it out and decided to play around with it. We sat in a circle around it, gently resting our fingers on the curser. I didn’t actually touch it, because I didn’t want to be accused of moving it. We had this silly little “concentrating” moment, and then we asked it if there were any spirits in the room, and the curser pointed to “yes”.

This is a perfect example of inviting a spirit / demon in. What's really bad about the Ouija Board is that nothing good ever comes out of it. It's not like great grandma is going to visit you. It's more like the most evil angry spirit is going to haunt you!:mad:

Something people don't realize is that when you make a circle you are giving an enclosure for that spirit / demon to come into that circle. IF YOU BREAK IT BEFORE YOU CLOSE IT this can be very bad. I get chills down my spine when I think about people making circles for spirits / demons. Very bad! If you are not familiar and don't close it properly it can cause terror in your life and your home (if done in your home).

I had a few friends when I was around 16 years old who wanted to do that Ouija Board and I said heck no and just sat and watched. I knew just from my own experiences that I had enough spirits annoying me I really didn't need another one. I guess they wanted to experience what just happened naturally to me but again my spirits have always been very good and no threat (not demonic). All of a sudden lights started flickering and the curtains flew up in the air and torn off the wall! I started yelling at them to end it and close the circle. Of course they were so terrified they never did close it properly. It was very scary to watch and I was so glad I wasn't in that circle! :eek:

mirancs8-- Sounds like you do have a lot of experience! Of course, if I knew then what I know now, I never would have touched that thing.

My grandmother's house does have some history. So does her city-- its kind of an old town for Califirnia (Benicia, founded in 1847). It was once the capitol of California, but later that was changed to Sacramento. Its also right where the infamous Zodiac killer committed some of his crimes, near a Benicia water pumping station on Lake Herman Road (I drive down that road at least once a week, lol)...

Another serial killer also prowled the area. One day, he walked into the Benicia police department, and laid part of a woman's chest on the receptionists desk, turning himself in. It just seems that town can't get out from under these things...

Other accounts include the Mills College campus, known as the "Young Ladies Seminary". Young women there were in preperation to lead lives of religious service, but it was closed down after the bodies of a few dozen human infants were discovered burried on the grounds (nobody knows why, some say a secret cult, some say it was a descreet place for unwed mothers to sit out their pregnancy and....). A Safeway shopping center now sits there. There are also several century + old mansions around Benicia, and its quite a tourist attraction. Several of these mansions had to have exorcisms performed on them (hauntings are extremely common in that town).

My grandma's house was the first house built on her street. She bought it 40 years ago, but it was there long before that. The people she bought it from had a daughter (a 5 year old girl). They were selling the house because their little girl was playing on the stairs... She fell, broke her neck and died. According to them, their daughter would constantly play on the stairs "talking to someone who wasn't there". They couldn't stand the memories, so they sold it and grandma got a very low price on it. But even today, there are still some of that little girl's toys up in the attic; the door to it is just a little square cut out of the ceiling in the closet of the back bedroom, upstairs. No way to get up in there really, and most adults have a hard time fitting in that space, or even getting up to it without a latter. As kids, we would use a kitchen chair and give each other a boost to climb up there and crawl around with flash lights. Just dark, with cobwebs and a few old toys laying around (REALLY old...). My grandma's never been up there, niether have any maintanance men. Not even any adults at all, I don't think.

I know that the parents of the little girl weren't the first owners either... I don't know what the history was before them.

The stairs were those windy stairs with the spaces in between, and the metal rail. I remember them, they were still that way until I was 6. But since then, she has torn those down, and re-built the stair case, like regular ones. They go up half a flight, turn left and go the rest of the way. She's done tons of renovations, installed a pool and hot tub out back, built extra bedroom off the side of the house, etc. I've heard that can arouse things, but there were still problems long before that.

Edited by Melissa569

IF YOU BREAK IT BEFORE YOU CLOSE IT this can be very bad. I get chills down my spine when I think about people making circles for spirits / demons. Very bad! If you are not familiar and don't close it properly it can cause terror in your life and your home (if done in your home).

Even if not done in your home it can follow you home. Casting circles, playing with Ouija boards and other spirit contact activity is very serious and only those that know what they are doing should be doing it. Casting circles is much more than just putting a circle of sea salt on the ground. There are many rules and ways to cast a circle. Messing around with spirits is not something that should be taken lightly nor should it be done by most people. Even those that know what they are doing run into problems at times. I cannot stress this enough it is not something that anyone should be "playing" with and it is not a game!!!

Another thing that most people do not realize is that rarely does a blessing of a home work the first time. Usually this is a done multiple times over several months.

Hidden
).

Even if not done in your home it can follow you home. Casting circles, playing with Ouija boards and other spirit contact activity is very serious and only those that know what they are doing should be doing it. Casting circles is much more than just putting a circle of sea salt on the ground. There are many rules and ways to cast a circle. Messing around with spirits is not something that should be taken lightly nor should it be done by most people. Even those that know what they are doing run into problems at times. I cannot stress this enough it is not something that anyone should be "playing" with and it is not a game!!!

Another thing that most people do not realize is that rarely does a blessing of a home work the first time. Usually this is a done multiple times over several months.

I've noticed this too, whenever I heard about a home that had to be blessed, they usually did have to comeback and do it again a few times.

Guest mirancs8

Melissa569 - very interesting story! It wouldn't shock me if that little girl who was talking to someone there was speaking to either a very angry spirit (could have been an angry spirit child who died a traumatic death) or even a demonic spirit in the imagine of a child. Both these types of spirits could have caused the accidental death of that 5 year old who fell down the steps. It does happen.

Loving Wife - yes you are absolutely correct that the spirit could follow you. They are not confined to one place. Like you said even those who know what they are doing can run into a lot of trouble as well. So imagine when you have no idea what you are doing. It is true that a home blessing the majority of the time will not do it. It has to be done multiple times and it has to be done right. No matter how many times you do it the quality of the home blessing is extremely important as well.

Melissa569 - very interesting story! It wouldn't shock me if that little girl who was talking to someone there was speaking to either a very angry spirit (could have been an angry spirit child who died a traumatic death) or even a demonic spirit in the imagine of a child. Both these types of spirits could have caused the accidental death of that 5 year old who fell down the steps. It does happen.

Loving Wife - yes you are absolutely correct that the spirit could follow you. They are not confined to one place. Like you said even those who know what they are doing can run into a lot of trouble as well. So imagine when you have no idea what you are doing. It is true that a home blessing the majority of the time will not do it. It has to be done multiple times and it has to be done right. No matter how many times you do it the quality of the home blessing is extremely important as well.

I believe they can follow you too. Of course, lots of people seem to think they are confined to a certain place... I don't think that's true. I do however think they might prefer a certain place most of the time, just like we humans do (home, our favorite hang-out, etc.). Maybe they might have lived there, died there, spent a lot of time there... Or the people there are easy to manipulate so a spirit feels more powerful there. I've also heard that there are certain places that can serve as sort of a gateway, and are high in spiritual traffice, so to speak...

Edited by Melissa569

Its actually fairly easy or at least in my experience had freaky one yesterday with my camera and my husband;s camera turning themselves on and off (my husband's camera didn't even have a battery in it), and my top boxes for my wardrobe kept trying to shut on me. In the end feeling freaked out asked for it to leave in the name of Jesus Christ Amen. Everything stopped. The Lord's name spoken with strength removes any evil. Think of when Joseph Smith was praying he just cried out to the Lord through the darkness and the darkness was replaced by light - the one thing and beauty of being a Latter Day Saint and why I know the priesthood is true and living is for us anything like this is accomplished merely by praying. Even the home blessing is simple no bells and whistles and accomplishes everything quietly and with reverence and no fuss

Edited by Elgama

The Lord's name spoken with strength removes any evil.

I would agree that sometimes that will work but not always. It depends on serveral factors how "easy" it is to have a spirit leave your home.

Sometimes the homes with the most faith are the hardest to get "evil" spirits out of. I'm not saying it can't be done but it can be harder. One moment of doubt can take it two steps back in the removing process. Other times a simple request to leave is all it takes.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, I've heard that too about being able to chase the spirits off ourselves. Never tried it on a household level, only on a personal one, and it worked.

I don't know if you've experiences this, but my father and I have, and I've heard many, many other people describe the same exact thing, so it must be legit--

I had my first one when I was 6. We had just moved to germany (U.S. military family). We had to live one year in a German house/neighborhood. During the time in that house, there were a lot of problems with demon attacks (just me and my dad, for some odd reason). Again, as I said in the above story, my dad is very religious and went to bible college. I was a Daddy's girl, so he and I were very close. I of course wasn't baptized yet. One night, I had a demon attack--

I looked up and saw it, it came over to me and sat at the foot of my bed. At first I was able to move, so I tried to recoil. Then it grabbed my ankle, and glared at me-- when it touched me, I was practically mute and paralyzed. It was a dark figure, and the face was pale with black and red eyes (black around the outside, red where the color should be). There was nothing good in those eyes, they were pure evil, it seemed. It just starred me down, and very slowly leaned over me, inching its way closer to my face. I was terrified! I shut my eyes tight, for a second, then opened them-- it was still there, and even closer! So I closed them, and didn't open them for several minutes. When I looked again, it was gone. I could finally move and talk. So I jumped out of bed and ran into my parents room. I woke my dad up and told him what happened. He explained what it was. Then he took me downstairs to the livingroom, turned on the lights and sat up with me for a while..

He said "I know its scary when that happens, but you can't let them have power over you. You have to be brave, even if you don't really feel brave. They have no right to be there, if you don't want them there. You can tell them to go away. Close your eyes if it makes you less afraid, but say over and over "In the name of Jesus Christ, I comand you to leave". If you can't say it, then think it. Or you can say "thank you god, thank you Jesus" over again in your mind, for allowing you to see that spirits and the afterlife are real. Because if there are demons, there are angels and god too. But a demon doesn't want to stay around, if you are praying."

So next time it happened, I did what my dad said, and it worked!! I felt more powerful. Unfortunatly, it started happening all the time, like they were trying to mess with me. After I got baptized, it stopped for a long, long time. And when ever it did happen, it was much easier, for some reason, to tell them to leave. I woudl only have to say it once, instead of repeating it. My dad said it happens often to religious people, because the devil is trying to make them feel weak with fear.

I have had a similar experience. One night as I lay asleep I recall waking from an unremembered nightmare ( I say "unremembered nightmare" because, though I don't remember the dream I was having I do remeber being already in a state of fear when I awoke). I awoke to perfect awakefullness and awareness of a being made of shadow floating on the ceiling above me. I was so frightened that I could not call out, scream, blink or even breathe. For a moment I was at a loss for what I could do to excape but I eventually remembered what to do in that situation and sought my lords help (if in my mind only... I still couldn't speak). As soon as I did this I could instantly see that there was no man made of shadow floating on the ceiling above me but it was only a trick of the light and shadow playing on the wood-grain of my beadroom ceiling.

Does this mean that there was no demon there floating or did I have a case of "sleep paralysis" as people who study such things call it? I leave you all to form your own opinions but as for me I believe I had an encounter with an unclean spirit who used one of many methods to try to decieve me.

Does this frighten me? I certainly was frightened at the time, but there is confort in the knowledge that those who have bodies have power over those who do not.