How much does it cost?

Misshalfway

I paid $0 for mine, thanks to the U.S. Army tuition reimbursement plan. I did incur a two-year service obligation from the time of graduation. It wasn't from a "premier" institution. But it just cost me time.

I know, I know, I'm really not helping you here. I don't know the answer. Mine was free (unless you count service time).

I think it would largely depend on what you're looking for out of the degree. It can be done on the cheap, but do you want to attend and graduate from a highly reputable institution? It certainly does make a difference in a lot of cases. Where is the path leading? What do you need to get out of your Master's Degree? I got everything I needed from mine. I can't speak for you.

edited to say: It also depends on resident vs. non-resident rates. Are you going to a school in your state?

Edited by nbblood

I just did some quick looking at a few schools to give an idea of what some schools would cost. This is assuming you get resident rates at these schools and accounts only for tuition and fees. Housing and other living expenses are not included.

Clemson, Kansas Univ, Colo St., and Oregon St. were roughly $4k-$5k per semester. So perhaps $15-20K over the duration of the degree.

I also looked at a couple California Schools, Berkeley and Stanford......SIGNIFICANTLY higher. You've also got input on UCLA. Based on what I saw at the other two, looks like you could potentially spend over $100K. Apparently California is costly in its education.

I tried to look at UofUtah but I couldn't really find the resident tuition rate for graduate students. Their non-res was around $16K/semester....so $60K or so. I would imagine they're around what the first schools I listed are.

BYU was $2800 per semester for LDS members.......so around $12K. That is almost always the best bet if you can get accepted there. BYU is almost always in the top 10 in the country for education value for $$ spent because it is subsidized for members as other schools do for state residents.

Tuition varies for full or part-time students too. These rates assume a full-time schedule (usually around 9-18 credit hours/semester) Additional credits usually cost more. Part-time students usually pay by the credit hour.

Also, nearly all schools have some sort of graduate assistant rate if you're interested in that. Basically you work as an assistant in some capacity. In return you get greatly reduced rates on your tuition. Usually there is some sort of application process and you have to be accepted so you have to plan ahead.

Now, if you want to go to Harvard.....whew.......we could start a PayPal donation fund here to help you out.

Anyway, I hope you found something helpful in here somewhere.

I'm not meaning this to sound bad or anthing..but we have been counseled to further our education, gain as much knowledge as possible..yet stay out of debt. There seems to be a conflict with those two things there.

Ahhhh, but education is much more than a certificate hanging on the wall. You don't have to pay tuition and fees to educate yourself. I have my share of certificates hanging on the wall. The best educational experiences of my life are not reflected by any of them.

But yes, going to a University ain't cheap and needs planning. There are also many, many ways to subsidize your education through various financial aid opportunities and good ol' hard work. It ain't easy, but it can be done.

Bytor...the $80K was for his MBA only...it was an Executive MBA program which meant he still worked full time so the cost included EVERYTHING...books, weekend stays and meals on campus (he had class all day Fridays and Saturdays) and the end of program trip to China.

Yes it was very spendy...but considering UCLA's Anderson School of Management is ranked extremely high and a classmate there helped him land his current "dream job" (not to mention the amazing business network he currently has because of school), it was worth every penny.

Shoot: Now I'm second-guessing myself...I need to double check the $80K figure with my husband...that's what I thought it was...I'm double checking with him to see if that's correct.

Edited by KayCee

I'm not meaning this to sound bad or anthing..but we have been counseled to further our education, gain as much knowledge as possible..yet stay out of debt. There seems to be a conflict with those two things there.

Pam, the prophets have also said that some debt is unavoidable and understandable...homes and education were 2 specifically mentioned by them. They counseled that when taking on debt such as mortgage or education to make wise decisions (don't buy more house than needed, etc.).

Bytor...the $80K was for his MBA only...it was an Executive MBA program which meant he still worked full time so the cost included EVERYTHING...books, weekend stays and meals on campus (he had class all day Fridays and Saturdays) and the end of program trip to China.

Yes it was very spendy...but considering UCLA's Anderson School of Management is ranked extremely high and a classmate there helped him land his current "dream job" (not to mention the amazing business network he currently has because of school), it was worth every penny.

Shoot: Now I'm second-guessing myself...I need to double check the $80K figure with my husband...that's what I thought it was...I'm double checking with him to see if that's correct.

Here's what I found:

Anderson School (MBA)

Standard 10,221.50

Prof. Fee 25,161.00

Course Mat. 975.00

Activities Fee 75.00

TOTAL 36,432.50

That's for a year (2009-2010). I'd say you're $80K is pretty much right there by the time you add books and other expenses to it.

My boss wears his college shirt, and grouses about how the shirt cost him $42K, so I guess you're in the ballpark.

LOL! So true!

Thanks for the research, nbblood. Rounding up, yep...we're about there. We did get a *little* help from his company at the time which was nice.

Hmmm, I figure on 2 things. One, colleges have to be competitive, so I can't see one having an outstandingly high tuition. Second, when you get a job, how long would it take you to pay back the loans? I figure if you can live well and pay it back in a year or two then you are doin pretty good.

I will be paying $80 grand when all is said and done for my master's alone, going for it as a Med school doesn't help. But the way I think of it, getting a Master's gets me the job I need to not be stuck in McDonald's for the rest of my life. Totally worth it.

Good luck with that.....degrees are a dime a dozen. Urging every kid to go to college and get a degree has cheapened the value of a bachelors degree and to some extent a master's degree. More kids need to be steered toward vocational training. But, oh no, we have to make it a shameful thing to go to trade school.

But, maybe when you graduate unemployment will have dropped from 10% to 5-6%in about ten years and since Uncle Barrack and the boys in congress want to legislate income and then tax it away, you will have lots of debt, a low paying job and back breaking taxes. Welcome to America!!

Good luck with that.....degrees are a dime a dozen. Urging every kid to go to college and get a degree has cheapened the value of a bachelors degree and to some extent a master's degree. More kids need to be steered toward vocational training. But, oh no, we have to make it a shameful thing to go to trade school.

But, maybe when you graduate unemployment will have dropped from 10% to 5-6%in about ten years and since Uncle Barrack and the boys in congress want to legislate income and then tax it away, you will have lots of debt, a low paying job and back breaking taxes. Welcome to America!!

Bitter much? :closedeyes: