Do Mormons believe Christ is coming again?

I respect many things about the Mormon Church and want to learn more. Do you believe that Christ is coming again as is stated in I Thessalonians 4? Do you believe the time is coming sooner rather than later?

1Th 4:13-18 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Please know that if I ask further questions, my intent is not to argue. I really want to understand. Thanks for bearing with me.

You said: "We believe He will come againt first to a gathering of leaders in Adam-ondi-Ahman."

I know that Mormons use both the Bible and the Book of Mormon.

The scripture I mentioned in I Thessalonians 4 does not say anything about Christ returning to a gathering of leaders in Adam-ondi-Ahman. Could you please show me the verses in the Book of Mormon that you use alongside I Thessalonians 4 to show this?

My understanding of the Bible is that His church is caught up to meet Christ in the air:

"For The Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangel's call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet The Lord in the air." (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)

Yes, my understanding is also that Christ comes again and sets his foot on the Mount of Olives. My understanding is that this occurs after His earlier coming for His church and later he returns to the Mt. of Olives. All the holy ones (His church) will be with Him on that day.

"Then The Lord will go forth and fight against those nations as when He fights on a day of battle. On that day His feet shall stand on The Mount Of Olives which lies before Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west by a very wide valley; so that one half of the Mount shall withdraw northward, and the other half southward [see Earthquake!]. And the valley of my mountains shall be stopped up, for the valley of the mountains shall touch the side of it; and you shall flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then The Lord your God will come, and all the holy ones with Him." (Zechariah 14:3-5)

Please know that if I ask further questions, my intent is not to argue. I really want to understand. Thanks for bearing with me.

No problem.

You said: "We believe He will come againt first to a gathering of leaders in Adam-ondi-Ahman."

I know that Mormons use both the Bible and the Book of Mormon.

The scripture I mentioned in I Thessalonians 4 does not say anything about Christ returning to a gathering of leaders in Adam-ondi-Ahman. Could you please show me the verses in the Book of Mormon that you use alongside I Thessalonians 4 to show this?

Sorry I can't find more scriptural information. I believe most information about this conference at Adam-oni-Ahman comes from the words of prophets and apostles rather than canonized scripture. But I'm not sure. There could be some.

Here's a couple quotes I found online:

"There will be a great gathering in the Valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman." Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 3, p. 13.

Before the Lord Jesus descends openly and publicly in the clouds of glory, attended by all the hosts of heaven; before the great and dreadful day of the Lord sends terror and destruction from one end of the earth to the other; before he stands on Mount Zion, or sets his feet on Olivet, or utters his voice from an American Zion or a Jewish Jerusalem; before all flesh shall see him together; before any of his appearances, which taken together comprise the second coming of the Son of God -- before all these, there is to be a secret appearance to selected members of his Church. He will come in private to his prophet and to the apostles then living. Bruce R. McConkie, The Millennial Messiah, pp. 578-579.

If you don't know much about Adm-ondi-Ahman we believe it is the place where Adam dwelt after being cast out of the Garden of Eden. The conference at this location will be where Adam and all the ancient prophets will gather. The Keys of the Priesthood will be given from the current living prophet back through the ancient prophets to Adam and Adam will be give them to Christ. I'm guessing that this may mean that a living prophet will no longer be needed because Christ will now reign personally on the earth.

Sorry I don't have any more references I'm sure other posters will have more.

My understanding of the Bible is that His church is caught up to meet Christ in the air:

"For The Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangel's call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet The Lord in the air." (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)

I don't think many LDS believe that we will literally lift up into the sky and meet Christ.

Yes, my understanding is also that Christ comes again and sets his foot on the Mount of Olives. My understanding is that this occurs after His earlier coming for His church and later he returns to the Mt. of Olives. All the holy ones (His church) will be with Him on that day.

I'm not sure where all this happens in relation to the ressurection and things like that.

Read also section 27 from Doctrine and Covenants

Doctrine and Covenants section 116

1 Spring Hill is named by the Lord Adam-ondi-Ahman, because, said he, it is the place where Adam shall come to visit his people, or the Ancient of Days shall sit, as spoken of by Daniel the prophet.

From Daniel 7

9 ¶ I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.

10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.

13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

From Doctrine and Covenants section 107

53 Three years previous to the death of Adam, he called Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, and Methuselah, who were all high priests, with the residue of his posterity who were righteous, into the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and there bestowed upon them his last blessing.

54 And the Lord appeared unto them, and they rose up and blessed Adam, and called him Michael, the prince, the archangel.

55 And the Lord administered comfort unto Adam, and said unto him: I have set thee to be at the head; a multitude of nations shall come of thee, and thou art a prince over them forever.

56 And Adam stood up in the midst of the congregation; and, notwithstanding he was bowed down with age, being full of the Holy Ghost, predicted whatsoever should befall his posterity unto the latest generation.

57 These things were all written in the book of Enoch, and are to be testified of in due time.

Edited by bytor2112

Related is this is the 10th article of faith:

10 WE BELIEVE in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

Sadly I don't know enough about any of the specifics to comment on where what will happen. Personally I find satisfaction enough in knowing that He will come again, and that I need to prepare myself for this event through striving faithfully to obey His will. Most importantly I must repent as I do things that are not in line with his will.

I think that when He comes, if we are to be numbered with the righteous then we will know by the spirit what is happening whether we are caught up in the air or stay right where we are.

Sadly I don't know enough about any of the specifics to comment on where what will happen. Personally I find satisfaction enough in knowing that He will come again, and that I need to prepare myself for this event through striving faithfully to obey His will. Most importantly I must repent as I do things that are not in line with his will.

I think that when He comes, if we are to be numbered with the righteous then we will know by the spirit what is happening whether we are caught up in the air or stay right where we are.

I have done some research into this for a book I am writing. There will be a gathering of Zion. The righteous will know that the return of the Savior is imminent when any one of several events take place. This includes the building of the temple in Israel, the building of the temple in Missouri for Christ's return, and the return of the lost ten tribes. These will all be events that cannot be missed.

:)

These are scriptures from the Bible on the final return of Christ to this earth:

* "So when they had come together, they asked Him, "Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?" He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons which The Father [see also The Logos] has fixed by His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth."

And when He had said this, as they were looking on, He was lifted up, and a cloud took Him out of their sight. And while they were gazing into heaven as He went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, Who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw Him go into heaven." Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem." (Acts 1:6-12 RSV)

* "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken [see Signs In The Heavens]; then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; and He will send out His angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matthew 24:29-31 RSV)

* "Then The Lord will go forth and fight against those nations as when He fights on a day of battle. On that day His feet shall stand on The Mount Of Olives which lies before Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west by a very wide valley; so that one half of the Mount shall withdraw northward, and the other half southward [see Earthquake!]. And the valley of my mountains shall be stopped up, for the valley of the mountains shall touch the side of it; and you shall flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then The Lord your God will come, and all the holy ones with Him." (Zechariah 14:3-5)

* "For The Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangel's call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet The Lord in the air." (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 RSV) [see The Last Day]

* "And The Lord will become king over all the earth; on that day The Lord will be one and His Name one." (Zechariah 14:9 RSV) [see King Of The Mountain]

* "It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of The Lord shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be raised up above the hills; and peoples shall flow to it, and many nations shall come, and say: "Come, let us go up to the mountain of The Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; that He may teach us His ways and we may walk in His paths." For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of The Lord from Jerusalem. He shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more; but they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree, and none shall make them afraid; for the mouth of The Lord of hosts has spoken." (Micah 4:1-4 RSV) [see The Kingdom of God]

* "And he said to me, "These words are trustworthy and true. And The Lord, the God of the spirits of the Prophets, has sent His angel to show His servants what must soon take place. And behold, I am coming soon." Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book." (Revelation 22:6-7 RSV)

I respect many things about the Mormon Church and want to learn more. Do you believe that Christ is coming again as is stated in I Thessalonians 4? Do you believe the time is coming sooner rather than later?

1Th 4:13-18 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

we believe that there will be second coming and all the trials and tribulations that will precede it. We believe it to be nearer than later (as in these are the last times).. however we have absolutely no idea when it is going to be.

I'm reading a book titled Maranatha, Our Lord, Come! by Renald Showers. It's a definitive study on Christ's return.

I'm trying to prove to myself one way or the other - all the details surrounding Christ's return.

I'm pretty amazed so far because the scriptures I'm reading are showing that Christ is going to return for His church and there will be a wedding supper in Heaven. Throughout the New Testament I find scriptures speaking of the church as the bride of Christ.

Other scriptures seem to show that later - He will return again to judge the earth. He will deal with all unrighteous people who refuse to follow Him, and then the Millennium will come.

"The Day of the Lord" is spoke of a lot in scriptures. Pg. 30 of the book says, "The Day of the Lord refers to to God's special interventions ito the course of world events to judge His enemies, accomplish His purpose for history, and thereby demonstrate who He is - the sovereign God of the universe (Isa. 2:10-22; Ezek. 13:5, 9, 14, 21, 23; 30:3, 8, 19, 25-26)."

It's fascinating seeing what these scriptures say. I guess I did not clarify my question very well because it would take so many words. What I mean to ask is this:

Do Mormons believe that Christ is coming again for His church and then coming back to judge the earth as part of "the Day of the Lord"?

There seem to be a lot of scriptures in the book of Daniel that dovetail with many New Testament scriptures on this.

I am reading scriptures indicating that Christ may return for His church prior to the Great Tribulation spoken of in the book of Revelation. To me, if this is so, then wow, it's so encouraging!

I just wondered what the Mormon church teaches about this.

When you used the phrase "day of the Lord", it reminded me of the phrase "great and dreadful day of the Lord" which has some interesting aspects related to Elijah the prophet and his role as a precursor to the Lord's return.

Here are some scriptures to ponder. It shows that we not only believe that Christ will come again, but that some of the prophecies have already happened.

Word Search: great and dreadful day

Do Mormons believe that Christ is coming again for His church and then coming back to judge the earth as part of "the Day of the Lord"?

Yes.

If you want to know the Mormon teaching here, I think a good starting point would be this Church-produced study manual; read the section entitled "Enrichment H" and particularly section H-10. The section's citations are primarily from a book of our scripture called the Doctrine and Covenants, because that particular study manual is geared towards the Doctrine and Covenants; but you can compare it to your Bible study at leisure.

• 4 weeks later...